• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. thoughts on the genesis 3?

User Info: 0K_Then

0K_Then
2 months ago#1
i saw this boxed genesis 2 for about $75 which i'd really like to get with the intention of actually playing the console (i still have my old genesis 2 that was in my childhood home before i was even born, but i would like a back-up sustem just in case it finally craps out)

but in the same store i also saw an unboxed genesis 3 for about $25 i think, and i've been thinking about picking that one up as well to maybe keep plugged up to my tv while i keep the model 2 in it's box until absolutely necessary

my question is though, what are all the pros & cons when it comes to playing a genesis 3 as opposed to the model 2? i'd prefer the full genesis experience, so any differences in sound and stuff like that does actually matter to me

sorry if i'm asking a tired question here, but i've just never really done any research on the genesis 3, and i'm not really in the mood to watch a bunch of random youtube reviews atm

User Info: Lukenatme

Lukenatme
2 months ago#2
If you want the best Genesis, look for a model 1 that says "High Definition graphics" on it.

https://www.retrorgb.com/genesisversions.html

User Info: noidentity

noidentity
2 months ago#3
Specifically the VA6 model. I have a Genesis 2 and use RGB with it. It looks amazing.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
2 months ago#4
Genesis 3 is the worst. Majesco's version of the system cut corners, you can't even run Virtua Racing on that unit or do 32x stuff from what I remember.

User Info: AttackUp

AttackUp
1 month ago#5
From what I heard it only outputs Mono (I think) which isn't really a big deal considering a lot of older games don't support Stereo anyways but it is a downgrade. The composite output is....better I believe than the Genesis 2 but not than the Genesis 1. But the biggest con is lack of Virtua Racing and 32x if you were planning on playing any of that.

But it's been awhile since I looked up the differences so I may be wrong
Favorite RPGs are the Chrono, Earthbound, and Lunar series. Also a huge fan of Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie/DK64 and many other games.

User Info: ShaolinAced

ShaolinAced
4 weeks ago#6
Lukenatme posted...
If you want the best Genesis, look for a model 1 that says "High Definition graphics" on it.

https://www.retrorgb.com/genesisversions.html
If you want to go further get the non tmss model that has the EU on the bottom of the console. This has no start up logo on boot and has the best sound through the stereo jack!
GT: EAZYACE Psn: EAZYACE8
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: KingMikeX

KingMikeX
3 weeks ago#7
AttackUp posted...
From what I heard it only outputs Mono (I think) which isn't really a big deal considering a lot of older games don't support Stereo anyways but it is a downgrade. The composite output is....better I believe than the Genesis 2 but not than the Genesis 1. But the biggest con is lack of Virtua Racing and 32x if you were planning on playing any of that.

But it's been awhile since I looked up the differences so I may be wrong

It reportedly fixed some bug in one of the math instructions in the CPU which apparently breaks Gargoyles.

I think the thing with 32X/VR is that it omitted Z80 support which also removes Master System compatibility. (SMS BC works on both Model 1 and 2 Genesis but the convertor was only designed to fit Model 1 consoles. Using it on a Model 2 requires cutting off part of the adapter case, or putting the bare circuit board in the console at the expense of connection stability, or get the rare and pricey EU model 2 adapter, or a fan-made adapter)
And Sega CD support is also cut, I think, if that hasn't been mentioned already. (because while SCD is considered better than 32X, it may be hard to get a properly working CD unit at this point anyways.)
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
3 weeks ago#8
It's very small, so shelf space is nice. You can still use any controller and the Sega multitap. (Can't say for sure about the EA multitap)

The negatives are only negatives if you are interested in the following:

Do you like to play or want Sega CD and/or 32x?
Do you want Virtua Racing at some point?
Do you want a Power Base Converter to play Master System games?

I feel like the audio was better and on par with late model 2 Genesis releases, though not as strong as the early model 1 releases.

I would have the model 3 as a back up and try to get an early model 1 version.
30 reviews and up on 8 systems.

User Info: Blaqthourne

Blaqthourne
3 weeks ago#9
I've heard that it's so light that it's easily pulled off a shelf by tugging on the controller.
Montreal Expos (1969-2004)
http://www.backloggery.com/Blaqthourne Now playing: Fire Emblem (GBA) -- started 9/25/2019

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
2 weeks ago#10
It stinks and feels like a cheap child's toy. Like, the "light" on the power switch is actually just a sticker.

That said, it only cost $20 brand new back in the day, so you can't beat that price. It was my first Genesis and served me well until I got a model 1. Its controller is still the only 6-button Genesis controller I have, so that stills sees use at least.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. thoughts on the genesis 3?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers