• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. why has the mega cd got such a bad rep

User Info: spiffyone

spiffyone
1 month ago#41
uffbulle posted...
spiffyone posted...
games that didn’t appeal to Western gamers or were niches (albeit lucrative ones) or had alternatives available elsewhere for, again, a lower entry cost.

Yeah but why'd you argue for JRPGs earlier then? That would only help in JP and not make the addon a bigger success globally at the time.

Because I was mentioning JRPGs within the context of the Japanese gaming business, and how SCD was a Japanese solution to a Japanese problem that didn’t actually solve anything there. Sega JP looked at the success of the PCE and it’s CD add-on and thought it was about hardware technology when it was all about software. PCE and it’s CD add-on had games that appealed to that consumer. Mega Drive and MCD did not.

This was a time when some adventure games actually sold well, though some bleed into FMV territory. I wonder if Myst, Riven, Return to Zork or Full Throttle (a bit late at 1995) could work OK on MCD.

They sold well to the computer gaming consumer in the West, not the home console gaming consumer in those regions. Two very different types of consumers, two very different types of product markets in part because of that.

A Sega-made super scaler/mode 7 style game could've worked really well, something like a Power Drift 2 with a vs mode. And a better After Burner 3.

Well, yeah. As a gamer, I would’ve enjoyed those a ton. But business-wise, would those games have pushed many units? Sega had gone with the “arcade games in the home” focused strategy with Genesis early on, and while it outsold TG16 with that, it didn’t really take off until they had home console skewing games, particularly a platformer IP like Sonic and the EA Sports titles as part of the library. Then the arcade ports were in support of those and paid dividends.

Even still, add-ons for Western markets in and of themselves are a precarious business proposition, because however well they sell the most likely scenario is that it’s still going to end up as a fraction of the stock hardware’s install base. Better to concentrate solely on that base rather than a fraction of it, especially for a company that was supporting four other platforms at the time.

NEC could get away with it because they weren’t developing many games themselves and only had to concentrate on two platforms (stock PCE and PCE CD), in which the only real difference was amount of RAM available and the additional sound processor with the CD attachment. With SCD, developing for it was akin to developing for a different system due to having more in the way of extra processors.

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
1 month ago#42
Fair enough regarding Japan. Well it was sort of about hardware as well, I'm sure the cutscenes and voice acting were a big thing for people at the time.

spiffyone posted...
They sold well to the computer gaming consumer in the West, not

Ok, you have any sources on that? Well the markets were divided in part because of Sega not pushing certain genres as well.

spiffyone posted...
But business-wise, would those games have pushed many units?

It's a bit of a retrospective "well Nintendo wowed people with this kind of game, so..." line of thinking, but it could've worked if the games were good enough. At the same time Sega were already pioneering 3D in the arcades and couldn't replicate those games for the MCD.

In the end Nintendo's use of cart chips seems to have worked out a lot better but I'm still glad it was a thing, since there are enough good games making proper use of it for me and others to enjoy.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: spiffyone

spiffyone
1 month ago#43
But did those games really sell well for SNES overall? I mean, in comparison to the platformers and action games that didn’t really make much overt use of things like Mode 7 (in the manner most commonly associated with that mode).

Ok, you have any sources on that? Well the markets were divided in part because of Sega not pushing certain genres as well

But no one was pushing those genres on console, really, at least not in the West. In Japan it was done, but in Japan the computer gaming consumer base wasn’t as active as that in the West (that remains true even now) so the types of games that had they been made by Western companies would have gone to PC were released for consoles over there more than they were here.

As for sources on the different types of consumers for each product category in the game industry (PC and console): not offhand, but PC gaming traditionally skewed older and the games skewed older as well (less action oriented, more thought oriented). I could look up some ESRB data from the past few years that shows it does now, and that’s with more in the way of cross product market multiplats than existed back then. As anecdotal “evidence”, one look at PC centric gaming magazines bitd compared to console focused magazines shows the PC mags were more “upscale” and “intellectual”.

User Info: metaphysician

metaphysician
1 month ago#44
All this talk is making me wish Sega would make a Genesis Mini "sequel" that is a Sega CD/32X Mini. ;)

( I throw in the 32X because, really, there is no way you could ever justify a retro mini for it standalone, but it has a *few* games worth remembering. So, include them with the CD games, which otherwise can support a decent library. )

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
1 month ago#45
spiffyone posted...
But did those games really sell well for SNES overall?

Mario Kart and F-Zero sold very well, yes.

spiffyone posted...
But no one was pushing those genres on console

There was certainly some kind of push on the NES or such games for it would be more obscure, but not by Sega for the MD & MCD afaik.

We actually had some adventure games on school PCs where I went and they were pretty popular among us kids at the time. Probably not on the level of Mario or Tetris but still.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#46
sull56ivan2010 posted...
GenerationX-Men posted...
Most of its games were designed to showcase fancy FMV cutscenes, with the gameplay taking a backseat. Best example is Power Rangers on Sega CD.

There are a few exceptions, like Sonic CD, but those are rare.

There's a lot more games with gameplay than you think for the Sega CD if you look beyond the FMV games. Even including Genesis ports.

Sonic CD, Terminator, NBA Jam, Earthworm Jim, Snatcher, Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Ecco 1 and 2, Chuck Rock 1 and 2, Sol-Feace, Spider-Man, NHL 94, Mickey Mania, Eternal Champions, Lunar 1 and 2, Shining Force, Final Fight, Silpheed, Dark Wizard, Dungeons and Dragons, Flashback, Out of this World (under the name Heart of the Alien), Third World War, B.C. Racers, Pitfall, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury.

Before James Rolfe's AVGN characters' episode, high price at 300 (for 1992, not prohibitive, but still pretty expensive), I don't feel like there was any big marketing. Lack of killer apps beyond Sonic CD.

Now these days, people look to the fictional AVGN episode and other stuff in a YouTube plagued with Nintendo homers.

The Mega CD was a bad move for SEGA. That has nothing to do with Nintendo fanbots.

That's why most of the games you posted are ports.
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: ShaolinAced

ShaolinAced
4 weeks ago#47
Sega9599 posted...
The Mega CD was a bad move for SEGA. That has nothing to do with Nintendo fanbots.

That's why most of the games you posted are ports.
No it wasn't. Had the left the sega cd alone and then moved on to the saturn soon after it would have been fine. If they ported all thier japanese properties it would have been fine.

The Sega CD didn't hurt anything.
GT: EAZYACE Psn: EAZYACE8

User Info: wesker05

wesker05
4 weeks ago#48
The 32x did

User Info: guy12345

guy12345
4 weeks ago#49
sull56ivan2010 posted...
GenerationX-Men posted...
Most of its games were designed to showcase fancy FMV cutscenes, with the gameplay taking a backseat. Best example is Power Rangers on Sega CD.

There are a few exceptions, like Sonic CD, but those are rare.

There's a lot more games with gameplay than you think for the Sega CD if you look beyond the FMV games. Even including Genesis ports.

Sonic CD, Terminator, NBA Jam, Earthworm Jim, Snatcher, Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Ecco 1 and 2, Chuck Rock 1 and 2, Sol-Feace, Spider-Man, NHL 94, Mickey Mania, Eternal Champions, Lunar 1 and 2, Shining Force, Final Fight, Silpheed, Dark Wizard, Dungeons and Dragons, Flashback, Out of this World (under the name Heart of the Alien), Third World War, B.C. Racers, Pitfall, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury.

Before James Rolfe's AVGN characters' episode, high price at 300 (for 1992, not prohibitive, but still pretty expensive), I don't feel like there was any big marketing. Lack of killer apps beyond Sonic CD.

Now these days, people look to the fictional AVGN episode and other stuff in a YouTube plagued with Nintendo homers.

Ironic with your talk of "Ninentdo homers" and your sig references "nintnedo fanboys" Like, people stll have a Sega-Nintendo rivalry in 2019? This isn't 1991 on the school playground. I owned both a Genesis and a SNES back then, and have both hooked up in the current day. Like, you really won't play Nintendo games because of an imaginary rivalry with some straw men? Truly, in your mind, you can't enjoy more than one system?

Honest question: What's wrong with you psychologically?

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
3 weeks ago#50
@guy12345

Understand this. This has nothing to do with rivalry. I've played a lot of Nintendo. A lot more in the last 15 years than when I was a kid when I had a Game Boy Color. What I get sick of is the revisionist history Nintendo homers make when it comes to gaming. If you want to look at my game collection on this site, you can see I have a bit of Nintendo systems and games. Just because I can't stand a fanbase, doesn't mean I don't have or play that company's systems and games.

YouTube personalities don't help and it makes others shun non-Nintendo stuff. And it leaves me with worry that other Sega systems, PlayStation in general and other systems from others are not going to get the same love.
30 reviews and up on 8 systems.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. why has the mega cd got such a bad rep
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers