• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. why has the mega cd got such a bad rep

User Info: metaphysician

metaphysician
2 months ago#21
He's not necessarily wrong, though. Just because a platform had worthwhile games, doesn't mean it can't simultaneously have been a business mistake that caused more harm than its worth. Shenmue is the perfect example. It was a brilliant game years ahead of its time that did stuff you scarcely see today. It also shouldn't have been made, and its insane budget almost certainly did real measurable harm that contributed to the death of the Dreamcast.

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
2 months ago#22
spiffyone posted...
They needed to woo JP third parties to the stock MD.

I mean they did get most of the important ones, unless you care about JRPGs but then they at least got Game Arts which made one of the best JRPGs of the generation on the MCD.

32X was a mistake sure, and so was the focus on FMV in marketing, but the MCD still did OK.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
2 months ago#23
I was 13 when the SCD came out in the US, here are the reasons it never interested me much:

-$300 was a significant amount of money and having finally convinced my parents to buy me a console the year before, there was no way I could have got them to drop several hundred more for another console so quickly. I suspect this was similar for many middle class families who recently bought their kid a SNES or Genesis, this was just too quick and console gaming was still new enough that the concept of these units being obsolete every few years wasn't something baby boomers were used to.

-The marketing was pretty terrible. All of the great listed above? I hadn't heard of 90% of them between 92-94. Sewer Shark and Night Trap were the games I recall being marketed in stores, print, TV. The two people I knew both had those games and nothing else at first.

-Too much competition from SNES and Genesis. This ties into the sticker shock somewhat, but as good as the best SCD games were, they faced steep competition as Genesis and SNES had an unbelievably strong lineup throughout the life cycle of the SCD. My backlog and limited funds meant there was no pressing need to save up for a SCD.

-Announcements for the 32X, Playstation, Sega Saturn killed any interest I would have had a year or so after it released. I remember seeing it discounted in 94' and since I had a job considered picking one up, but assumed the Sega Saturn would be backwards compatible with all the SCD library (I didn't really understand the hardware, just had a kids view that CD to CD would be simple to port, and since Genesis could play SMS figured it would be a "thing")

User Info: spiffyone

spiffyone
2 months ago#24
uffbulle posted...
spiffyone posted...
They needed to woo JP third parties to the stock MD.

I mean they did get most of the important ones, unless you care about JRPGs...

Which is among the key sorts of games that appealed to the Japanese game consumer. A couple of gems here and there in that genre isn’t going to help much when competing platforms offer many more.

32X was a mistake sure, and so was the focus on FMV in marketing, but the MCD still did OK.

It did “OK” based on the focus on FMV in marketing, though. The percentage of SCD consumers among Genesis owners in the US was higher than MCD consumers among MD owners in Japan. SoA did what they could to sell the thing, and their focus on FMV in ads actually worked.

spiffyone
2 months ago#25
sull56ivan2010 posted...
I'm not going to bother arguing with spiff, but his obsession with saying Sega CD shouldn't exist down everyone's throats is getting borderline annoying.

Posting fact based analysis in a topic on this specific subject = “shoving down the idea that it shouldn’t exist down everyone’s throats”?

That’s a rather odd take.

Look, I get that you like SCD. Hell, so do I. I was one of the only kids who owned one, I played the living s*** out of its superior versions (compared to the Genesis carts) of Earthworm Jim, Ecco, Spider-Man, and Puggsy. I fell in love with graphic adventure games based on playing Rise of the Dragon and Adventure of Willy Beamish on SCD (and I’m still sore Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis never came out for it). Eternal Champions CD was a favorite among my friends and I to the point where I was always asked to bring the SCD when going to the homes of friends years well into the PS1 era.

But I can see that, from a business standpoint, it was indeed a bad decision. I can separate my liking of a product and my analysis of that product as a product.

User Info: CTVector

CTVector
2 months ago#26
shadestreet posted...
I was 13 when the SCD came out in the US, here are the reasons it never interested me much:

This was my exact thought and experience, for all the same reasons, save for being a few years older.
Ye read, ye move.

User Info: wesker05

wesker05
2 months ago#27
Ahhh batman returns was awful why did i ordered sewer shark

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
2 months ago#28
spiffyone posted...
Which is among the key sorts of games that appealed to the Japanese game consumer. A couple of gems here and there in that genre isn’t going to help much when competing platforms offer many more.

Oh you meant like that. Well, Square or Enix would've been cool and mattered in terms of that but I'd have wanted more action and action adventure games personally, so just one of them then.

spiffyone posted...
and their focus on FMV in ads actually worked.

Initially, but then it also cemented it as a crappy addon in most peoples' minds since they didn't market other kinds of games.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide
(edited 2 months ago)

spiffyone
2 months ago#29
uffbulle posted...
spiffyone posted...

Oh you meant like that. Well, Square or Enix would've been cool and mattered in terms of that but I'd have wanted more action and action adventure games personally, so just one of them then.

spiffyone posted...
and their focus on FMV in ads actually worked.

Initially, but then it also cemented it as a crappy addon in most peoples' minds since they didn't market other kinds of games.

Yeah, that was the double edged sword going with that marketing. Once the “glamour” of FMV wore off, what else was there? Ports of games that were already on Genesis (or SNES), and games of the sort that weren’t “hot” with Western console consumers (graphic adventures and the few JRPGs and SRPGs).

User Info: ShaolinAced

ShaolinAced
2 months ago#30
I love the sega cd. I basically treat the games as an extension of the genesis library. They are that good. And I just pretend the 32x doesnt exist and honestly that isn't hard at all.
GT: EAZYACE Psn: EAZYACE8
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. why has the mega cd got such a bad rep
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers