• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. Strider Hiryu

User Info: AttackUp

AttackUp
2 months ago#1
No one told me how cool this game really is. Sure it's only like 20 minutes long and sure it's a bit simple (jump & slash the game) but it's got this crazy cool vibe hardly any other has.

You can hook onto almost any wall just like Ninja Gaiden which is awesome. The music is so varied and has some really epic tracks like the dinosaur song. The game is somehow "cinematic" but in 16-bit action form like when you're running down the snow mountain and gotta jump at the end. You get these strange robot helpers that eventually turn into a robot wolf buddy if you're good enough. Certain areas, although short, actually offer non-linearity in how to get through them like the thunderstorm airship part. And It's just the perfect difficulty where it's tough enough to keep you coming back for one more try over and over without ever being too frustrating.

Overall, playing Strider for the first time on the Genesis Mini has surprisingly been one of my favorite games on the system. It's just fun.
Favorite RPGs are the Chrono, Earthbound, and Lunar series. Also a huge fan of Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie/DK64 and many other games.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: EnvyFox

EnvyFox
2 months ago#2
Just bought a cart of the Genesis version this year for the first time and yeah this is one awesome game! I've owned the NES version (which is it's own game) for years now and, while I prefer the story and music in that one, just about everything else is better on Genesis especially when it comes to the gameplay. Thank God Hiryu can climb walls in this version. *gets flashbacks of failing the "Triangle Jump" multiple times in the NES game and shudders*

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
2 months ago#3
So you didn't play the Japanese version in that case. The actual Japanese version has no continues.

Strider was a 1990 Game of the Year on the Genesis.

AttackUp
2 months ago#4
PStrife posted...
So you didn't play the Japanese version in that case. The actual Japanese version has no continues.

Strider was a 1990 Game of the Year on the Genesis.

No continues? That's harsh. But in the American version you only get like 5 so it's not like it's easy breezy difficulty. Stage 5 in particular is brutal.
Favorite RPGs are the Chrono, Earthbound, and Lunar series. Also a huge fan of Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie/DK64 and many other games.

User Info: shin_mcgoo

shin_mcgoo
2 months ago#5
If you like this game, check out the sequels as well. Strider 2 on PS1 and Strider (2014) on PS3, 360, PS4, and XBO.
"Mint has that quiet elegance about her, but I bet Arche f@$#s like a tiger."

AttackUp
1 month ago#6
shin_mcgoo posted...
If you like this game, check out the sequels as well. Strider 2 on PS1 and Strider (2014) on PS3, 360, PS4, and XBO.

I wanna play Strider 2 on PS1 but prices seem very high for such a short game.

And I heard Strider 2014 wasn't very good
(edited 1 month ago)

PStrife
1 month ago#7
You can always import the cheaper Japanese version of Strider 2 or get a Japanese PSN account and buy it off the PSN store, if it is still available.

AttackUp
1 month ago#8
Does the Japanese Strider 2 work on American PS1/PS2 systems? And how strong is the Japanese language barrier for the game?

PStrife
1 month ago#9
No it does not. But ou could probably get it to work with the simple swap disc method and by breaking part of a toothpick to keep your PS1's sensor from doing it's job and keeping that lid open for said swap. It is so easy.

AttackUp
1 month ago#10
PStrife posted...
No it does not. But ou could probably get it to work with the simple swap disc method and by breaking part of a toothpick to keep your PS1's sensor from doing it's job and keeping that lid open for said swap. It is so easy.

Is it? I wouldn't wanna damage my PS1
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. Strider Hiryu
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers