• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. looks like Europe is getting the shaft again with their mega drive mini

User Info: creep50

creep50
2 months ago#21
Sketcz posted...
Update:

Photos and discussion on page 21 of this forum:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/310103-megadrive-mini-to-be-this-good-takes-ages-out-on-friday/page/21/

Turns out you need to access both traditional Chinese and Korean, but all the games are there, except possibly Spinball, which you need to play the Japanese version of.

are all 42 of the "american/genesis/ntsc" games there? through Korean and Chinese menu (do you have to alternate between both of them or is it enough to pick either one?)
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

creep50
2 months ago#22
Sketcz posted...
Someone put the file list online:
https://pastebin.com/fyhRNJfj

Make of it what you will.

I am going to import a Genesis Mini online

what exactly is this pastebin? i don't quite get it

is the 'korean' rom of contra the same as the american one?

User Info: Sketcz

Sketcz
2 months ago#23
The pastebin is a list of ROMs in the system's database, taken from the Project Lunar hacking project. My guess was yes, the "Korean" ROM of Contra is the American one.

As for alternating Korean and Chinese, yes. So if you want the NTSC versions of Contra, rather than Probotector, you can either select Japanese language for the JP version, or Korean for the US version, otherwise you play the PAL version, sped up to 60Hz. For Beyond Oasis you select Chinese to get access to the American NTSC release, otherwise it's the PAL version of Story of Thor (I've actually heard that maybe SoT, the PAL version, was not sped up due to problems - but this is unconfirmed). Same with Casltevania - the default is PAL at 60Hz, unless you go Korean.

The UK machine is a bit higgeldy piggeldy. Based on Down with Law's photos, you can access the Genesis versions of pretty much everything, except Spinball (unconfirmed!), by accessing either Korean or Chinese (you need to access both, since neither has all Genesis games - IE: Hard Corps English is on Korean only, Beyond Oasis is on Chinese only).

I actually went and ordered the UK model off Amazon. It's a bit of a pain switching menus, but it's acceptable.

Anyway, someone on a forum gave a tip!

Save States revert to the region in the save state. So if you want to play the US version of Contra, just load it, save it, and then you can load up Probotector from the UK menu and load the save state, and it will automatically switch back to Contra.

So they say! Apparently they did this for Puyo Puyo/Robotnik, since it saves time menu switching.

creep50
2 months ago#24
Sketcz posted...
The pastebin is a list of ROMs in the system's database, taken from the Project Lunar hacking project. My guess was yes, the "Korean" ROM of Contra is the American one.

As for alternating Korean and Chinese, yes. So if you want the NTSC versions of Contra, rather than Probotector, you can either select Japanese language for the JP version, or Korean for the US version, otherwise you play the PAL version, sped up to 60Hz. For Beyond Oasis you select Chinese to get access to the American NTSC release, otherwise it's the PAL version of Story of Thor (I've actually heard that maybe SoT, the PAL version, was not sped up due to problems - but this is unconfirmed). Same with Casltevania - the default is PAL at 60Hz, unless you go Korean.

The UK machine is a bit higgeldy piggeldy. Based on Down with Law's photos, you can access the Genesis versions of pretty much everything, except Spinball (unconfirmed!), by accessing either Korean or Chinese (you need to access both, since neither has all Genesis games - IE: Hard Corps English is on Korean only, Beyond Oasis is on Chinese only).

I actually went and ordered the UK model off Amazon. It's a bit of a pain switching menus, but it's acceptable.

Anyway, someone on a forum gave a tip!

Save States revert to the region in the save state. So if you want to play the US version of Contra, just load it, save it, and then you can load up Probotector from the UK menu and load the save state, and it will automatically switch back to Contra.

So they say! Apparently they did this for Puyo Puyo/Robotnik, since it saves time menu switching.

hmm interesting
the question is tho

what US games (aside from contra, castlevania and Beyond Oasis/SOT) are where?

like you say 'Beyond Oasis' is in the 'Chinese' that some version (which?) of story of thor is in the korean setting? same with the Chinese 'contra' is that the Japanese version? (with 3 health points)

but from all 40-42 games do they all have the american version somewhere?,

also wouldn't 'save states' mean that you can't really 'normal save' (for the games that support that) since every time you load a save state you lose the other 'normal' saves (this is usually how an emulator works including the nintendo minis).. so save stating in 'Beyond Oasis' would mean that you would not be able to save normally if you are going to use a 'save state shortcut' in the pal-english version of story of thor

Sketcz
2 months ago#25
>but from all 40-42 games do they all have the american version somewhere?,

I don't know. According to my earlier M2 email, they said that in some cases only the American ROM was included, even for the PAL hardware, when in the PAL/English menu. Though they did not give specific examples. Meaning of the 40 games, it would *seem* we have all the American releases, but only some PAL releases, and all of the Japanese releases.

We do have the ROM list, so we can at least see how many games are available, and sort of work back from there. So I am confident that the "Chinese Contra" with the Japanese box art is the Japanese Contra, and the exact same ROM that is loaded from the Japanese menu. These are the Contra ROMs:
eu_en_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin
eu_jp_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin
eu_ko_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin

It looks like the first letters, EU, denote which hardware we're using. Then the next two denote which language menu they appear in. So KO doesn't mean the Korean version of the game, simply that the ROM in question belongs in the Korean menu. So EN Contra goes in the English menu, and is the PAL version because it's on the EU system.

What's confusing is that the ROM list only has one unique entry for the Chinese menu:
eu_ch_The_Story_of_Thor.bin

What does it all mean? No idea! :D

Back to the American only with no PAL editions question...

If I had to guess, it would be games which only have 2 listings in the ROM list, such as Alisia Dragoon. Though I suppose the only way to be sure would be to dump the ROM and analyse it on a byte by byte level, or boot up each region of game from actual hardware, make a note of the copyright date on the title, and cross-reference that with what's shown on the hardware. Or look for specific regional changes.

So for example, with Alisia Dragoon, there are 3 regions of ROM dump out "in the wild":
Alisia Dragoon (Europe) - 596 Ko
Alisia Dragoon (Japan) - 597 Ko
Alisia Dragoon (USA) - 596 Ko

Both US/EU are 596kb. But there are regional differences between the US and EU versions:
https://tcrf.net/Alisia_Dragoon

TCRF is a good place to check regional differences.

So... I guess boot up the game, level skip to the end, see the credits, and make a note of if Takahiro Okano and Satoshi Uesaka are listed.

At this point, I'm basically just waiting to hack the **** out of this thing and correct these problems.

Sketcz
2 months ago#26
Oh, the Save State question. Yes, possibly. Unless you save in-game normal, then soft reset back to the title screen, Save State there, and then when you load that Save State back up, showing the title screen, your SRAM save will still exist for that specific state.

creep50
2 months ago#27
Sketcz posted...
>but from all 40-42 games do they all have the american version somewhere?,

I don't know. According to my earlier M2 email, they said that in some cases only the American ROM was included, even for the PAL hardware, when in the PAL/English menu. Though they did not give specific examples. Meaning of the 40 games, it would *seem* we have all the American releases, but only some PAL releases, and all of the Japanese releases.

We do have the ROM list, so we can at least see how many games are available, and sort of work back from there. So I am confident that the "Chinese Contra" with the Japanese box art is the Japanese Contra, and the exact same ROM that is loaded from the Japanese menu. These are the Contra ROMs:
eu_en_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin
eu_jp_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin
eu_ko_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin

It looks like the first letters, EU, denote which hardware we're using. Then the next two denote which language menu they appear in. So KO doesn't mean the Korean version of the game, simply that the ROM in question belongs in the Korean menu. So EN Contra goes in the English menu, and is the PAL version because it's on the EU system.

What's confusing is that the ROM list only has one unique entry for the Chinese menu:
eu_ch_The_Story_of_Thor.bin

What does it all mean? No idea! :D

Back to the American only with no PAL editions question...

If I had to guess, it would be games which only have 2 listings in the ROM list, such as Alisia Dragoon. Though I suppose the only way to be sure would be to dump the ROM and analyse it on a byte by byte level, or boot up each region of game from actual hardware, make a note of the copyright date on the title, and cross-reference that with what's shown on the hardware. Or look for specific regional changes.

So for example, with Alisia Dragoon, there are 3 regions of ROM dump out "in the wild":
Alisia Dragoon (Europe) - 596 Ko
Alisia Dragoon (Japan) - 597 Ko
Alisia Dragoon (USA) - 596 Ko

Both US/EU are 596kb. But there are regional differences between the US and EU versions:
https://tcrf.net/Alisia_Dragoon

TCRF is a good place to check regional differences.

So... I guess boot up the game, level skip to the end, see the credits, and make a note of if Takahiro Okano and Satoshi Uesaka are listed.

At this point, I'm basically just waiting to hack the **** out of this thing and correct these problems.

does the 'korean language' then give you the american games by default?

i see what you mean about 'Alisia Dragoon' that site only lists 2 versions when like you say there technically are atleast 3, which begs the question does the european console contain the 'american' rom with the european no where to be found (as in you get the US credits when you finish it)

same with all of the other games that only have '2' versions on this thing, (like castle of illusion) there are only

eu_en_Castle_of_Illusion and eu_jp_Castle_of_Illusion

does this mean that the 'eu_en_Castle_of_Illusion' is the american NTSC version and not the pal version sped up?

and how different are the 'korean' games from the american games?

it would be interesting to see this same list from the 'genesis mini' to compare

creep50
2 months ago#28
also what is this

'eu_en_Disney_s_Aladdin'

is Aladdin on the system somewhere?

Sketcz
2 months ago#29
Aladdin, Mortal Kombat II, and Sword of Vermillion are listed in the ROM list, implying they were planned for inclusion at some point before being cut. There is also a Genesis (American) list online. Just google search for Project Lunar and Genesis Mini. There project is not breaching copyright, they only intend to release free tools for anyone who wants to use them. (Just in case a mod flags this post.)

>does the 'korean language' then give you the american games by default?

No, it gives you a mish-mash of American, Japanese, and Korean games. So Story of Thor is in actual Korean script, in the Korean menu. Whereas Bloodlines is the American game, and Alisia Dragoon is the Japanese version. Confusing huh!

>does the european console contain the 'american' rom
>with the european no where to be found

I don't know. I played a little bit of Alisia Dragoon, planning to finish it, and see the credits, but I really do not like how this looks on my HDTV. I have serious banding problems with the CRT filter applied, running on my 720p Samsung TV:
https://i.imgur.com/wqUFqif.jpg

And without the filter it just doesn't look right either. So I actually went back to playing my Mega Drive games on my original Xbox using NeoGenesis. I kinda regret buying the machine with 6 button controller. It's not a very good product. The CRT filter is just plain broken.

Also, even with the 6 button controller, since the "Mode button" is not a true Mode button, it just accesses the emulator menu, you can't use it to activate the 6 button controller code on Shinobi III, and M2 apparently didn't think anyone would want to use it, so you're locked to the 3 button layout. Which means I refuse to play it - better to go back to NeoGenesis.

> does this mean that the 'eu_en_Castle_of_Illusion' is the
> american NTSC version and not the pal version sped up?

I have no idea. Are the copyright dates on the title different? Is there any way to tell in-game?

> and how different are the 'korean' games from the american games?

No idea. I played some bloodlines, and it seems identical to the original American release.

> it would be interesting to see this same list from the 'genesis mini' to compare

It's online. Once you remove the missing games, like Aladdin and MKII, it has precisely the same numerical number of titles as the European/PAL system: 87 games.

Sketcz
2 months ago#30
For quick checking, here is the PAL system's game list, grouped by game title. There are SEVEN different versions of Story of Thor! The CH or Chinese listing is in fact the Genesis version of Beyond Oasis.

eu_en_Alex_Kidd.bin
eu_jp_Alex_Kidd.bin

eu_en_Alisia_Dragoon.bin
eu_jp_Alisia_Dragoon.bin

eu_en_Altered_Beast.bin
eu_jp_Altered_Beast.bin

eu_en_Castle_of_Illusion.bin
eu_jp_Castle_of_Illusion.bin

eu_en_Castlevania_Bloodlines.bin
eu_ko_Castlevania_Bloodlines.bin
eu_jp_Castlevania_Bloodlines.bin

eu_en_Columns.bin