• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. looks like Europe is getting the shaft again with their mega drive mini

User Info: teflon

teflon
2 months ago#11
This seems like a mess. Why would you do all of this s*** to get 60hz PAL ROMs, then hide the US versions behind the Korean and Chinese language options, when you could use the US ones as the default for native 60hz and have the original PAL versions of games as optional? It seems like they tried to appeal to the diehard Sega sites and forums that would throw a s***fit if the EU version didn't have the PAL ROMs, but in a way that messes up the product for everyone else.
"Japanman is a nice name."-PsykopijonSnowball3
Secret Board Hunter
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: DeltaBladeX

DeltaBladeX
2 months ago#12
Sketcz posted...
According to people who have the PAL version of the Mini, you can access the American games through the Korean language setting.

So Contra: Hard Corps (US English version) and Bloodlines (uncensored US version) are both on the PAL version, accessible by selecting the Korean language option.

I have not confirmed this personally. I too was concerned so started asking around, and this is what I was told by people who got the system.

Thanks for this. I was rather peeved when I couldn't access Contra: Hard Corps in English on my Mega Drive Mini, but I can confirm Korean does have the Genesis versions of a few games. Now I can suck terribly at it still but at least know what is happening.
I'm not lazy, I just don't care
http://backloggery.com/DeltaBladeXNZ - https://steamcommunity.com/id/DeltaBladeX

User Info: Sketcz

Sketcz
2 months ago#13
creep50 posted...
although about the 60Hz speed, i did notice that a lot of the time they are just taking the european roms and speeding them up, i have already seen that this produced some problems with sonic spinball since the 'original rom' already had it's music converted to the correct speed in the 'pal' release, which now means that it plays way too fast (you can see it on youtube), so what other problems like that could there be in some of the other pal roms, (wondering from a 'authenticity' perspective)

This, about Sonic Spinball, I did not know!

Now I want to order the Genesis Mini again. Maybe I should. I have disposable income.

One of the negatives which M2 told me is that sadly, even with the Korean/Chinese menus, you will not be able to see certain American box art.

I was not concerned about that.

But as someone else says, this is a mess.

The Genesis Mini is so simple.

English = USA
Japanese = Japan
French = Europe

In Europe we've got a hodge podge mess of things.

Is the US version of Sonic Spinball accessible from the Korean menu option?

That is weird, that you say they sped up the PAL edition for that, because I was told they mainly used American ROMs, and only games that had actual alterations used the PAL version (SoF 2, Castlevania, Probotector, Landstalker, etc.). Sonic Speedball was not mentioned.

Ugh. I just dunno now.

I am surprised/annoyed that all these YouTubers and websites covering the machine are not going into detail on this. I mean, hardcore detail. I want a list for both the US and EU machine, of each game, listing what region of ROM is found in which list. Like, serious, hardcore OCD levels of examination.

Right now all we have is speculation on this forum.

Now I'm like 61% leaning towards importing a system from Canada. Someone talk me down.

User Info: creep50

creep50
2 months ago#14
teflon posted...
This seems like a mess. Why would you do all of this s*** to get 60hz PAL ROMs, then hide the US versions behind the Korean and Chinese language options, when you could use the US ones as the default for native 60hz and have the original PAL versions of games as optional? It seems like they tried to appeal to the diehard Sega sites and forums that would throw a s***fit if the EU version didn't have the PAL ROMs, but in a way that messes up the product for everyone else.

yeah and it seems like such an easy fix to.. just put a 'US english' option there for all of the 'genesis games'.. done

like if you are going to 'optimise/convert' the games then you are likely to run into some trouble unless you truly get into the nitty gritty of every game (which they are not going to do because it takes way to much time).. especially since the 'speed' is not necessarily 'non'-converted with these roms to begin with (like with sonic spinball)

the SNES was fine in the way they did it.. all the games where the same between the 2 versions so no one was left out of anything
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

Sketcz
2 months ago#15
Somebody in Europe buy this tomorrow and tell us whether you can access US games on your machine - including the US versions of Spinball.

Thanks. :)

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
2 months ago#16
Well that's nostalgic.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide

User Info: creep50

creep50
2 months ago#17
Sketcz posted...
Somebody in Europe buy this tomorrow and tell us whether you can access US games on your machine - including the US versions of Spinball.

Thanks. :)

well the thing about spinball is that this (or something similar) could still be true for some other games, that i just don't know about 'yet', i have also not played all of these games so maybe i wont know if the music (or something else) is playing too fast or not.. maybe it won't be a problem not until you have gotten a bit further (an hour or so) into it

but i will buy the system still, mostly focus on Japanese games since they should all still be fine, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime after the weekend. so i will update if no one else will (will try to go through the languages like Korean and Chinese)
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

Sketcz
2 months ago#18
If anyone gets the UK model please confirm the following:

* Are all 3 regions of each game accessible by changing language? I'm told that putting the UK model into Korean via the language menu will give access to the American versions. Is this true?

* Is the Japanese Castlevania, along with American Bloodlines and British New Generation all accessible? Same for JP Contra, US Contra, and UK Probotector?

* Does the European "Mega Drive" version of Spinball have music which plays too fast due to them boosting the game to 60Hz even though the original PAL 50Hz game had been optimised?

* Can you access the US Genesis version of Spinball on the UK Mini hardware? I'm not interested in Japanese Spinball, just specifically the Genesis version.

* The above two questions again, but with Comix Zone. I've heard reports the music is borked.

* When accessing games through the Korean/Chinese language menu, which allegedly gives access to English American Genesis games, do any of the American Genesis ROMs show the Japanese box art instead of the US box art? I've heard that the ROMs which load are the US Genesis ROMs, even though the box art is not from the Genesis versions. Or, does it actually load Japanese ROMs?

* From what you can tell, are there any US Genesis games/ROMs which cannot be accessed via any language menu on the UK model of Mini?

Games to check for include:

- Spinball (sound issues - but I specifically want the US version)
- Comix Zone (sound issues)
- LandStalker (EU version had a subtitle)
- Streets of Rage II (instead of 2)
- Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor (name change, languages)
- Contra/Probotector
- Vampire Killer/Bloodlines/The New Generation
- Light Crusader
- Space Harrier II (apparently you can access the Genesis ROM, but the system itself does not in any way contain the Genesis box art?)
- Shinobi (for the same reason as Space Harrier II)

I want to know which regions of ROMs can and cannot be accessed, and of those which can be accessed I want to know which box art is shown.

Thanks in advance for biting the bullet and taking one for the team. If it turns out to be awful I will remember you when playing my imported Genesis Mini.

Sketcz
2 months ago#19
Someone put the file list online:
https://pastebin.com/fyhRNJfj

Make of it what you will.

I am going to import a Genesis Mini online

Sketcz
2 months ago#20
Update:

Photos and discussion on page 21 of this forum:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/310103-megadrive-mini-to-be-this-good-takes-ages-out-on-friday/page/21/

Turns out you need to access both traditional Chinese and Korean, but all the games are there, except possibly Spinball, which you need to play the Japanese version of.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. looks like Europe is getting the shaft again with their mega drive mini
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers