• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. Worst Sega Genesis games you have ever played?

User Info: bruplex

bruplex
4 months ago#21
The usual and well-known stinkers are all in play here, but I'll put Last Battle in mix.

I got the Genesis as a kid right around launch, and Sega had a promotion where you could get a free game with the purchase of a system. I struggled between Space Harrier II and Last Battle, but ultimately went with Space Harrier II. However, the screen shots for Last Battle looked great, so I saved all my paper route money (back when people read newspapers) to get it.

Man, was I one disappointed kid. The game is unforgivingly slow, clunky, and has lousy music to boot. I was hoping for something like an Altered Beast-style fighter, given the larger characters and the assumption the relatively smooth Altered Beast controls would be in Last Battle.

As a side note, I still (sorta) like Phantasy Star 3. It's the grindiest of grinds, but the generations idea was cool and to this day, it's got some of the best-designed graphic styles on the Genesis.
Use your computer mouse to navigate the internets. Be sure to talk to everyone you meet. You're sure to gain lots of valuable information.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
4 months ago#22
Bummer, yeah I'd agree on Last Battle as well. Didn't come across it back in the day but I did play Fantasia and a few other stinkers.

I like the overhead graphics in the towns in PS3, not so much the battle backgrounds and most of the sprites there.

sull56ivan2010 posted...
Why move goalposts for Barney? I don't get it.

Moving the goalposts? No I usually compare games to what's around today, particularly when there's not much to compare to from back then.

Super Thunder Blade would've been cool on the MCD or using the later Panorama Cotton engine maybe.

Might have to try Rampage Edition and HA2 at some point.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: noidentity

noidentity
4 months ago#23
looked posted...
Phantasy Star 3 gets hate because it’s a bad game in a great series, if it didn’t have the name attached to it, than it would just be an obscure bad game.

But it’s still a masterpiece compare to Sword of Vermilion, Super Hydlide, or Sorcerors Kingdom.

What exactly makes the third game bad? Because the second game is an overrated piece of s***
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
4 months ago#24
There was a recent thread about just that on here.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/metroidvania guide

User Info: GenerationX-Men

GenerationX-Men
4 months ago#25
Batman Forever.
With great responsibility comes great power.

User Info: Zenoth

Zenoth
4 months ago#26
I'll go with Batman Forever as well, it was just terrible. I haven't played the whole Genesis library so maybe there's even worse. But out of the bad ones I do remember playing... yeah, that was it.

User Info: looked

looked
4 months ago#27
I had Last Battle as a kid too, and I always liked it. I played it enough to get pretty good, at it, to be able to go through the dungeons by memory, and eventually be able to beat it. I think it is a rewarding experience based on the difficulty. I agree that the walking speed is too sluggish, but it’s not as bad powered up, and in the dungeon where you can do that long jump. Also he kick when not powered up has terrible range.

I couldn’t disagree more about the music though, I think it’s iconic. The ending song is probably the best, but most people never get to hear it.

The only time I was disappointed was when I learned about the Japanese version. It would’ve been much better as Fist of the North Star, than the generic game that it is. I really hope someone finishes translating the Japanese version.

User Info: Heracylost

Heracylost
4 months ago#28
looked posted...
Phantasy Star 3 gets hate because it’s a bad game in a great series, if it didn’t have the name attached to it, than it would just be an obscure bad game.

But it’s still a masterpiece compare to Sword of Vermilion, Super Hydlide, or Sorcerors Kingdom.

Hey now, that's the first game I bought for my Genesis. It's not a bad RPG for it's time.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it. Lemmy Kilmister

User Info: GeOstyle

GeOstyle
4 months ago#29
looked posted...
I had Last Battle as a kid too, and I always liked it. I played it enough to get pretty good, at it, to be able to go through the dungeons by memory, and eventually be able to beat it. I think it is a rewarding experience based on the difficulty. I agree that the walking speed is too sluggish, but it’s not as bad powered up, and in the dungeon where you can do that long jump. Also he kick when not powered up has terrible range.

I couldn’t disagree more about the music though, I think it’s iconic. The ending song is probably the best, but most people never get to hear it.

The only time I was disappointed was when I learned about the Japanese version. It would’ve been much better as Fist of the North Star, than the generic game that it is. I really hope someone finishes translating the Japanese version.

Nooooo fist of the north star is still crap. Except its unedited. Everyone you hit the head explodes in a bloody fountain. Other that that the game still plays like crap.
Now black belt for Sega master system is a different story.
Originally a fist of the north star game, when Sega brought it to the USA the game was improved.
It was all about me.

User Info: GeOstyle

GeOstyle
4 months ago#30
uffbulle posted...
Found Exo Squad OK, clunky controls aside. The presentation is quite good.

Yeah from what I remember the graphics are great but them side scroll levels sucked. If the game stayed in those flying segments it would have been alright. I quit trying to play the game and just played the vs mode against the CPU. Racked up a 200+wins no losses. All you had to lay on the ground and wait for the CPU to come over to you. Then launch them in the air with your legs. XD
It was all about me.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. Worst Sega Genesis games you have ever played?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers