• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. so how are the games on the upcoming genesis mini

User Info: creep50

creep50
7 months ago#1
i have to admit i was always a bit of a nintendo guy, so i really don't have much experience with the genesis/sega mega (like it is called here in europe).. however i love games from this era, SNES is my all time favourite console and i love the NES as well

if the emulation of the upcoming genesis mini will be decent (fingers crossed) then i am very much interested in experiencing some of these games, just like i did on the SNES mini

so outside of sonic (which honestly i am not the biggest fan of, except maybe sonic CD).. what games would you recommend, how are you liking the game list

i have always wanted to play both the contra game (definitely looks fun) and i have played the castlevania game but having it would be nice (i very much like that one)

what other games are great, and what are some of the 'duds' (i would argue for example that the kirby golf game was not a great one to include on the SNES mini)
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4

User Info: Wewillrocku

Wewillrocku
7 months ago#2
A few of the really good titles on it are Earthworm Jim, Ghouls n Ghosts, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star 4. Altered Beast is popular with a niche audience. People like Gunstar Heroes a lot but for me that's a pretty bad pick.

User Info: daytonafreak

daytonafreak
7 months ago#3
If you have not played many of these games before you will definitely want to check out the following games:

Shining Force
Comix Zone
Street of Rage 2
Landstalker
Beyond Oasis
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Phantasy Star IV
Mega Man Wily Wars (word has it that this is the NTSC version with NO slowdown)

User Info: fitftw

fitftw
7 months ago#4
You'd be crazy to think it won't be hacked like the NES/SNES/PS1 classics, so just buy it and upload the entire Genesis library to it.

creep50
7 months ago#5
fitftw posted...
You'd be crazy to think it won't be hacked like the NES/SNES/PS1 classics, so just buy it and upload the entire Genesis library to it.

right but like i said i don't even know where to start, since i didn't play the genesis much

the 'entire Genesis library' would be pushing it, i wouldn't even do that on my SNES mini, after a certain point you will fill out the space on the console, and it will be a problem for the saves and such

i also don't need hundreds of games that i will never play, i tend to want these things sorted out, and actually try to find a game that i like and sit on it until i finish it, instead of just navigating through the first level of 200 games without really giving any of them a change

User Info: underdunkt

underdunkt
7 months ago#6
I think it's a pretty solid set of games, better than the NES or SNES minis by a lot (and I have both of those and love them both, for the record).

I know you say you don't like Sonic, but I might at least give Sonic 2 another chance. It's the best of the games by far and it's on this thing.

Other than that, Streets of Rage 2 is pretty essential. World of Illusion, believe it or not, is a pretty fantastic platformer (I haven't played the other Mickey game). Vectorman is really fun. Shinobi III is a fantastic action game that allows you to surf as a ninja. Comix Zone is very difficult but it's a great, creative game that holds up graphically. Just some from the top of my head.

I will say since you mentioned it, I love the Nintendo Contra games but Hard Corps is genuinely just too difficult for me. I have a legit copy and I don't think I've made it past the first level. For whatever reason the North American version doesn't have the cheat codes that made the Japanese version more playable. That said, M2 is known for implementing features including versions of games from other countries, so I'm hopeful this will actually be an opportunity for me to play through a lot more of that game.

User Info: fitftw

fitftw
7 months ago#7
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
I'm 35 and sold all my systems except NES/SNES/PS1 classics, all hacked to include full game libraries <3

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
7 months ago#8
Essential:
Shinobi 3
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Gunstar Heroes
Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Landstalker
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Monster World 4

Good:
Shining Force
Comix Zone
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine (Puyo Puyo reskin)
Alisia Dragoon
Earthworm Jim
Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Light Crusader
ToeJam & Earl
Dynamite Headdy
Beyond Oasis
Road Rash 2
Columns
Tetris

Worth a try:
Golden Axe
Darius
Vectorman
Eternal Champions
Kid Chameleon
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Strider
Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Space Harrier 2

Not so great:
Virtua Fighter 2
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball

That's just me though, some think Vectorman is great for example.

It's a good list, it's missing maybe 20 or so greats but you can probably add them yourself later:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Thunder Force 4
Langrisser 2
Rocket Knight Adventures
Ristar
Panorama Cotton
Mega Bomberman
Shining Force 2
Micro Machines '96
Puyo Puyo 2
EWJ2
MUSHA
Alien Soldier
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
Mega Turrican
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
Quackshot
Twinkle Tale
Herzog Zwei
Soleil (Crusader of Centy)
Lost Vikings
Gaiares
Ranger X
NHL '96
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
http://www.favslist.com/users/Alianger/184/about/games/played - Played games

creep50
7 months ago#9
uffbulle posted...
Mega Man: The Wily Wars

how are they compared to MM 1-3 on the Nes??

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
7 months ago#10
Mostly the same but there are various minor differences, so if you're a hardcore fan of the NES games you might not like them quite as much (the rate of fire is different and movement is like MM1 in each game so a little stiff when starting to move). I'd say the first one is a bit better in WW than the NES game.

There are some issues with slowdown but I've read that it will be reduced or removed for the mini version (otherwise you could emulate it and overclock the emulator to remove it). You can also use game genie codes to make them play more like the NES games, in emulation.

One cool addition is the wily tower mode, which lets you pick abilities from the three main games before playing and features new levels (using assets from the main games), bosses and music.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, guides and more.
http://www.favslist.com/users/Alianger/184/about/games/played - Played games
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. so how are the games on the upcoming genesis mini
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers