• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it normal for Windows Defender to eat obscure exes on Windows 10?
darkmaian23 1 month ago#1
Finally got Windows 10 Home working, and I was excited to get to play an obscure game I bought some months ago that wouldn't run on Windows 8.1. When I unzipped the file, sure enough, no executable. I thought it was just a corrupt download, but it turns out Defender is sure it contains an evil trojan (that Windows Defender failed to find on 8.1). It has quarantined it...somewhere, and it won't give it back or let me tell it to ask next time before it gobbles something up. I don't like this lack of control and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.
gideond 1 month ago#2
I haven't had it happen a lot, but yes it does happen. Look for Windows Security in Start. Go to Virus and Threat Protection and then Protection History. This is where you can see blocked threats and allow, exclude, etc. Sometimes that still does not work though. The worst this about Windows Security in my opinion is the interface and lack of control. It works fine until it doesn't. Then it gets a lot more complicated.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
EvilResident 1 month ago#3
Win 10 Home…
---
darkmaian23 1 month ago#4
EvilResident posted...
Win 10 Home…
It was a free upgrade, what can I say?
krazycharlie 1 month ago#5
False positives happen all the time with Windows Defender. What you need to do is specify any exceptions before downloading, unzip and/or install any file in your PC. That way, it will be less likely that Windows Defender deletes or flags files that are essential to you.
"Skipitabubdadup!"
2Plus2isChicken 1 month ago#6
I've had that happen before when installing the unofficial 1.03 patch after installing Command & Conquer: The First Decade. Windows Defender doesn't like Tiberian Sun for some reason. I just turn Windows Defender off while installing and then turn it back on afterward and everything's fine.

There is really no excuse for these false positives when a file is clearly not a virus.
dementedlullaby 1 month ago#7
You should just be able to set the files as exclusions in Defender. Unless Home doesn't have that option? No idea.
GPUs go brrrrrrrrrrrrr
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it normal for Windows Defender to eat obscure exes on Windows 10?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A