This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best way to go about getting a powerful computer these days?

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
1 month ago#1
I built my own rig aeons ago, and in the near future I'll be needing to build a new one. The power supply is nearly toast and the motherboard is too ancient for any serious upgrading. But the RAM and GPU prices are insane! I'd heard that it was bad, but I wasn't prepared for anything like what's out there right now. Unless I've missed something, it looks like a card only a generation or so newer than the one I have now is like $300.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
1 month ago#2
The place near me has current cards in prebuilt gaming pcs and gaming laptops, but no current gpus in stock individually.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
1 month ago#3
RAM prices are not as expensive as a few years back when memory in general had a shortage. There has been reports of prices dropping as memory demands has been low and it's expected to drop in price this last quarter of 2021. That said, RAM and SSD's should be bought around this time for the all time low pricing.

GPU's however are MIA unless you a pay the scalper pricing but even "MSRP" is inflated so don't even expect that price. If you want close to MSRP, you have to rely on getting lucky, either sitting in a EVGA, AMD or etc queue/waiting list, watch Discord like a hawk, or wait for a store like Best Buy to announce a drop and then sit outside the store for hours.
i7-6700K @ 4.2Ghz | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || Pixel 6 12 || iPad Air 2 14.7.1

User Info: phattsao

phattsao
1 month ago#4
The “best” way is to buy a prebuilt. You’ll be paying a premium, but still probably less than trying to buy all the parts yourself.

It ain’t gonna be cheap no matter what. That’s a hard fact everyone needs to accept. Look at the whole “supply chain” thing going on right now, it’s not just PC parts anymore. This is probably going to get even worse before it gets better.
(message deleted)

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
1 month ago#6
I built mine. Put it together before I knew what I needed for Windows 11, it turned out to be very compatible. Gathered the parts and put it together from mid May to the end of June. (The graphics card took the longest to get. It was put together by the end of May with really only needing to get a better graphics card.) I really like that the Rtx doesn't get too hot while running some of the most demanding games.
MB Asus Prime Z590-p, i7-11700k, RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Ram, 1TB NVMe M.2 X2, 4TB WD Black Drive

User Info: sonic_c_tail

sonic_c_tail
1 month ago#7
The best way is to find a time machine that can take you back in time to october/november 2019. And buy 2080 super system with all the bells and whistles before all starts going to s***.

The second best way is to get a second job and eat the loss. This garbage seems to be here to stay for the long haul.
List of girls that couldn't cope with facts: TRULYEPICLAWLS

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
1 month ago#8
Steal one.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#9
Be prepared to pay an insane markup or like a previous poster said, wait in a queue or obsessively watch Discord channels etc. - those are your choices at the moment.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Switch | Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: LiteMatter

LiteMatter
1 month ago#10
Best way is to camp out Best Buy for 10 hours when they do a gpu drop or get lucky in the Newegg shuffle thing. Otherwise buy a prebuilt from a non origin like dealer. You’ll be waiting like 2 months most places. I recently got a cyber power built one with good parts. After comparing at the time, overcharge from building my self was $175. Gpu was a 3080 gigabyte vision.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best way to go about getting a powerful computer these days?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A