This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. the most disturbing thing about this blizzard scandal thing....

User Info: runrom

runrom
4 months ago#111
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
u cant say "learn to code" now cuz all of a sudden its insensitive n wrong. also prolly racist n phobic

"Learn to code" is overused. Maybe you should stop parroting unoriginal catch phrases and realize that we don't need more coders.

User Info: xKynOx

xKynOx
4 months ago#112
runrom posted...
"Learn to code" is overused. Maybe you should stop parroting unoriginal catch phrases and realize that we don't need more coders.

In the UK we are short of HGV lorry drivers the cash is good, learn to drive a lorry

User Info: Knifegash

Knifegash
4 months ago#113
razenkaku posted...
Most people aren't on forums browsing for gaming news like us.
Games news? I just come to this site to complain about stuff and argue with users.
"If I wanted to play dress up the dolly... I'd go play with my niece." -Digital Storm
(message deleted)

User Info: runrom

runrom
4 months ago#115
AftComet posted...
It's tongue-in-cheek because when blue collar workers were losing their manufacturing jobs all over America due to outsourcing, a famous quote of the left was "learn to code" then you won't have to worry about putting food on your table.

Now these same "coders" are complaining their costs of living are too high and they can't make ends meet.

All that said, there is definitely not a saturation of quality computer scientists. I'm not talking about script kiddies or someone who took a few of those $20 online courses. I'm talking about someone with an intensive math background who's great with programming languages. They're employable at all times and for amazing compensation.

Don't you understand that the SaaS space is quite big? Skilled computer scientists can dictate what they're paid because there's not enough of them to fill those roles.

I think coding/programming requires a certain mindset that you can't simply just tell people to pick up and learn. I personally don't have those characteristics and I respect people who do.

I think the "Learn to code" mantra falls into the same trap as "everyone needs to attend college" as things like professional trades (e.g. plumbing, electrical, welding, etc.), while not 6 figure earning, provide a different level of job security and quality of life that doesn't require the same amount of commitment of dedicating one's time to getting a Comp Sci or Comp Eng degree.

That said, "Learn to code" is easy, but "Efficient, secure coding is hard." It's difficult because if it were easy, we wouldn't have the cybersecurity issues that we have now.

Similar to the SaaS example, cybersecurity is booming right now with a need for professionals. Pay is decent outside the crap security operations center hours which is similar to "trench" programming/IT work where once people get their foot in the door and their feet wet, then they can start talking about a nice salary.

Edit: As for the issue of Comp Sci degrees being more valuable than Humanities degrees- that depends on your criteria. If your criteria is to get through the HR filter, then the CS degree helps. If you actually value learning and want to hate your life a little less because you can spend your Friday night partying with a humanities degree vs. a CS education requiring paired programming with some dumbass jock who is in the same program and frustrating to work with, well, of course I'd take the partying because you can simply just pick up programming/IT/security on your own time, get hired and start working. College degrees lead to your first job and that's about it.

For anecdotal evidence, I knew kids who spent years in their CS programs while some were able to graduate on time in Humanities, study what was "good enough" to land an interview for a tech position and are set.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#116
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
also, lol @ bein labeled a troublemaker for a legitly filed police report

When you guys grow up and actually enter the workplace you're going to be in for a shock.
"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."

User Info: Knifegash

Knifegash
4 months ago#117
Dragon Nexus posted...
When you guys grow up and actually enter the workplace you're going to be in for a shock.
What dystopian s***hole do you work out of to think that's a realistic outcome of reporting sexual harassment? Society has been kneecapped by #metoo ideology. What era are you caught in?
"If I wanted to play dress up the dolly... I'd go play with my niece." -Digital Storm

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 months ago#118
AftComet posted...
It's tongue-in-cheek because when blue collar workers were losing their manufacturing jobs all over America due to outsourcing, a famous quote of the left was "learn to code" then you won't have to worry about putting food on your table.

I appreciate the explanation because as a non-American I was totally lost as to what everyone was talking about. I thought it was something along the lines of "if you're stop playing Blizzard games over this you'd better learn to make your own games".

These days, I honestly feel like the place to be is Streaming / Content Creation / Entertainment, since humanity's desire to consume entertainment feels virtually limitless. Of course, not everyone has the skills for this, but I think it's a good option for those who do.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, Saturn / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: mario2000

mario2000
4 months ago#119
Nice to see so many people itt don't care about rampant sexual abuse and horrific work environments.
Arrrr the SS Goku, Mighty fine boat... -fatmatt
Hope Frieza doesn't chuck an Iceberg at the Goku, otherwise it's all over. -Nekoslash

User Info: FelineCyborg

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#120
Knifegash posted...
What dystopian s***hole do you work out of to think that's a realistic outcome of reporting sexual harassment? Society has been kneecapped by #metoo ideology. What era are you caught in?

the same world where police depts dont take rape reports seriously. its called the real world.
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. the most disturbing thing about this blizzard scandal thing....
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A