This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. One day, a computer will fit on a desk (1974)

User Info: zinezinzadan

zinezinzadan
1 month ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdWQAKzESA
I like backwards compatibility.

User Info: ejay8320

ejay8320
1 month ago#2
Wonder if they ever thought it would end up fitting in a pocket.
PS2 - PS3 - PS4 -PSVita - Switch lite
PC: Ryzen 3700, Gigabyte GA X570, ROG STRIX-RX5700 -8G, Evo 970 plus 500gig, G.Skill trident z 32 Gigs 3200, eclipse p400

User Info: zinezinzadan

zinezinzadan
1 month ago#3
ejay8320 posted...
Wonder if they ever thought it would end up fitting in a pocket.

Excellent point. I wonder if the founding fathers themselves even knew that. Yes they were aware that lithography would shrink and tremendous amounts of transistors could be stuffed into smaller surface areas. They knew the computational power to run things in something small such as your phone would eventually exist, but I doubt they could predict the thermodynamics behind it. The fact that iPhone 12 has as much single core speed as it does, with all day battery life to be hauled around is just amazing.

Thats why the old joke never fades. "If you told someone 20 years ago that they would soon hold all of the worlds information in their pocket, they would laugh at you".

Like most things, you can't predict the future with certainty because a few other technologies have to innovate and improve to complete the "perfect product". Look at flying cars. They said we'd have them 30 years ago lmao. Those who made that hypothesis just assumed that propulsion, energy, radar, thermodynamics, etc, would all have been reinvented by this time. I think the thermo aspect of flying cars is perfected by now. These engines churn out enough horsepower and stay ice cool to efficiently move around massive flying objects. Our radar tech is so far behind for it to be a reality. People would be crashing into each other in the air non stop. If you thought road accidents were bad.. I cant even imagine all the morons hitting s*** in the air, as well as each other, drunk, etc.
I like backwards compatibility.

User Info: Nemerlight

Nemerlight
1 month ago#4
Those hairstyles in older days were horrid.
Please Understand.
President of NDF
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#5
zinezinzadan posted...
Thats why the old joke never fades. "If you told someone 20 years ago that they would soon hold all of the worlds information in their pocket, they would laugh at you".
20 years ago wasn't the stone age. The Internet was pretty widespread. It didn't take that much imagination to think that one day an online device would fit in your pocket. To some extent that already existed in the late 90's - Palm VII even had wifi.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
1 month ago#6
tell that to my corsair 800D
The Infamous...
I'm so fab I'm gone with the wind *****!

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
1 month ago#7
The cranky hermit posted...
20 years ago wasn't the stone age. The Internet was pretty widespread.

Next thing you'll tell me is some people's GameFAQs forum accounts are already 20 years old!
A gentleman will walk, but never run

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
1 month ago#8
mine still doesn't fit on my desk.
Taarsidath-an halsaam.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#9
The cranky hermit posted...
20 years ago wasn't the stone age. The Internet was pretty widespread. It didn't take that much imagination to think that one day an online device would fit in your pocket. To some extent that already existed in the late 90's - Palm VII even had wifi.
Glad someone said it.
Need to go back to before Turing.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
Lose 50 experience

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#10
Well this guy certainly called it

PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. One day, a computer will fit on a desk (1974)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A