This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Guy made $1.57million playing Runescape..

User Info: zinezinzadan

zinezinzadan
1 year ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk94xWX18Tk

I didn't even know you could sell Runescape gold for real money, that was illegal back when I played in middle school. This guy accumulated enough wealth worth one and a half million $ U.S. Unbelievable...

Imagine how many kids were yelled at by their parents constantly to "get off the game", but a decade later of extreme work ethic, they actually made more money off the game by their 25th birthday than the parents did their entire life.

What other games allow you to do this? Sell in game money for real money legally. I'm curious if there are people who have made a full time job out of this. Grind in game, sell gold, pay bills.
I like backwards compatibility.

User Info: FL81

FL81
1 year ago#2
zinezinzadan posted...
I didn't even know you could sell Runescape gold for real money, that was illegal back when i played in middle school. This guy accumulated enough wealth worth one and a half million $ U.S. unbelievable...
It still is, but with those kind of numbers, people don't really care.
Thanks to Proofpyros for the sig images
https://imgur.com/Nv4Pi1v https://imgur.com/N43HJYv

User Info: zinezinzadan

zinezinzadan
1 year ago#3
FL81 posted...
It still is, but with those kind of numbers, people don't really care.

So it is technically against the TOS but it's happening at such rampant numbers that Jagex doesn't do anything about it?

Incredible. If that kid sold all of his gold, he could use the $1.5m to purchase an investment property like a Hotel, Restaurant, or any other asset and he would probably be making $100k yearly salary (equivalent to a lawyer for Physician assistant) for just sitting at home and not doing anything, for the rest of his life... Because he, played, runescape...
I like backwards compatibility.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 year ago#4
zinezinzadan posted...
Imagine how many kids were yelled at by their parents constantly to "get off the game", but a decade later of extreme work ethic, they actually made more money off the game by their 25th birthday than the parents did their entire life.

With Runescape, and this story in particular? I bet a ton of people have accumulated that in their lifetime. That's 16 years of a 100k average salary, so most middle class and upper middle class, even some lower class will earn that in income in their lifetime. They obviously don't take that home but he has to pay taxes on his deal too. If you're talking about gaming in general then yeah, most people don't make Ninja money.

"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
1 year ago#5
yohabroha posted...
With Runescape, and this story in particular? I bet a ton of people have accumulated that in their lifetime. That's 16 years of a 100k average salary, so most middle class and upper middle class, even some lower class will earn that in income in their lifetime. They obviously don't take that home but he has to pay taxes on his deal too. If you're talking about gaming in general then yeah, most people don't make Ninja money.

I think the difference is how much time he spent doing it and if he had other means of earning a living. Acting like someone that made 100k a year over 16 years has access to all the money after 16 years is a joke. Even if you live as frugal as possible it will take at least 20-30k of it after taxes to survive. So if this guy had a full time job and still made 1.5 million in Runescape that is all whatever money, it's basically like doing a second job but you pay 0 taxes on it until you ever try to put that into real world dollars.

I also will point out the more money people make the more they spend in the vast majority, so someone making $250k a year is sure living a lot larger 95% of the time than someone making $75k a year.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 year ago#6
zinezinzadan posted...
So it is technically against the TOS but it's happening at such rampant numbers that Jagex doesn't do anything about it?

Incredible. If that kid sold all of his gold, he could use the $1.5m to purchase an investment property like a Hotel, Restaurant, or any other asset and he would probably be making $100k yearly salary (equivalent to a lawyer for Physician assistant) for just sitting at home and not doing anything, for the rest of his life... Because he, played, runescape...

Given his age he'll probably blow through it in 6 months on frivolities.

Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Switch | Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: GunMage_Author

GunMage_Author
1 year ago#7
JKatarn posted...
Given his age he'll probably blow through it in 6 months on frivolities.
Unless he's smart with his money like he was in the game.
His words are his paint, his keyboard his brush and the dim, pale light of his screen, his canvas. ~ deathroller87

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 year ago#8
Monopoman posted...
I think the difference is how much time he spent doing it and if he had other means of earning a living. Acting like someone that made 100k a year over 16 years has access to all the money after 16 years is a joke. Even if you live as frugal as possible it will take at least 20-30k of it after taxes to survive. So if this guy had a full time job and still made 1.5 million in Runescape that is all whatever money, it's basically like doing a second job but you pay 0 taxes on it until you ever try to put that into real world dollars.

I also will point out the more money people make the more they spend in the vast majority, so someone making $250k a year is sure living a lot larger 95% of the time than someone making $75k a year.
He didn't have access to that money the entire time he was playing Runescape.
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
1 year ago#9
yeah its crazy

OSRS is one of the MMOs that venezuelan gold farmers play to make decent income (relative to the rest of their countrymen). Infact there is a group of Venezuelans that have overtaken the revenant caves on all the servers (a popular spot to make decent gp for mid-leveled players). A lot of normal players want them gone lol.

Also gambling addiction in runescape is somewhat of a problem because of the duel arena. Can practically double your gp in a few seconds or lose it all. The chances of winning or losing is nearly 50/50 (not all the way 50/50 because of PID) . People do buy gold with irl $$$ just to stake it at the duel arena. Me and my buddy used to do that.

Also the #1 guy in that video went to jail for hurting his parents. He got his wealth from picking up the rares when they first released during holiday events so likely no one will ever match him from merching/staking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRgRpkJ6WTg
I'm a Taurus
I like collecting headphones and iems. My fave game of all time is DMC 3 SE on PC w/ style switch mod. IMO it the best button masher on earth

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
1 year ago#10
Monopoman posted...

Moltrinex mentioned it before to other players that he obtained all of of his Runescape wealth from picking up a bunch of the holiday event items in the early 2000s when he was a young kid. The tradeable holiday event items like party hats, hween masks, santa hats were just random spawns throughout the world during their corresponding holiday events. Because they were never re-released they became rare and a status symbol for wealth . Not many players realized they would cost so much in the future so they either traded them for supplies/little gold or dropped them to make room for bank space.

I stopped playing the main game in 2016 but I did own a few party hats and the Blue phat was worth 11 billion gp at the time. A whole set with all the colours was worth around 35-40 billion gp if i remember correctl. They have been going up over time as well because merchanters hoard them and won't sell them until a higher price is achieved. Wouldn't be surprised if the Blue phat is bordering around 30b gp atm but haven't checked.

He pretty much made 1.5m dollars or however it cost now (price of his phats,santas, and other holiday event rares gradually goes up) with little work.
I'm a Taurus
I like collecting headphones and iems. My fave game of all time is DMC 3 SE on PC w/ style switch mod. IMO it the best button masher on earth
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Guy made $1.57million playing Runescape..
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A