This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which VR headset is the best?

User Info: KotomineKirei

KotomineKirei
4 days ago#1
I was thinking about buying the Oculus Go a few months ago, but I found out that there would be another Oculus Rift (I think that it was not the Rift S) and decided to wait.

However, after reading about Half-Life: Alyx, I realized that other than the PS VR, Rift and Vive, there was also the Valve Index.
So, I am somewhat more confused now.
Which is the best VR headset to get?

Also, I get headaches and nausea when playing games like The Elder Scrolls I-II, DOOM (1993), Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic/Hexen, RAGE, Borderlands, etc. (but Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, The Elder Scrolls III-V, Fallout 3-4, etc. are okay).
Will a VR headset give me those problems as well?
"Saith the Preacher, 'Vanity of vanities. All is vanity.'"
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: jhood

jhood
4 days ago#2
if you get headaches and nausea easy, then i would stay away from vr.
you will get those effects x10.
I9 9900k @5.0ghz | Corsair H150i Pro | Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero | 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3400mhz | RTX 2080 TI Founders Edition | Evga 850w G2 |
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
4 days ago#3
I don't have those issues so I can't say if it would have any negative effects but it might be worth avoiding just so you don't waste your money. Also, there's the Windows Mixed Reality headsets you could look at it in addition to the other HMDs. AFAIK the most recommend WMR HMD is the Samsung Oddysey Plus but every time I look at it it's out of stock except from third party sellers and/or used and I wouldn't personally chance any of those.
i9 9900k | Z390 Aorus Master | Strix 1080 ti | 32GB CL14 3200 Vengeance Pro RGB | 1TB NVME | 6TBs of Samsung EVO SSDs | 4TB HDD | Thermaltake 1050w iRGB+ Plat.

User Info: KotomineKirei

KotomineKirei
4 days ago#4
jhood posted...
if you get headaches and nausea easy, then i would stay away from vr.
you will get those effects x10.

it_r_over9000 posted...
I don't have those issues so I can't say if it would have any negative effects but it might be worth avoiding just so you don't waste your money. Also, there's the Windows Mixed Reality headsets you could look at it in addition to the other HMDs. AFAIK the most recommend WMR HMD is the Samsung Oddysey Plus but every time I look at it it's out of stock except from third party sellers and/or used and I wouldn't personally chance any of those.

That does not sound good...

I think that I still want to try a VR headset though (it is mostly those games that I mentioned that cause me to have problems).
"Saith the Preacher, 'Vanity of vanities. All is vanity.'"
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
4 days ago#5
Eh was thinking of maybe giving it a shot with the stimulus money (if it actually ends up happening) but then I thought I'd probably rather just build another desktop.
What is freedom?

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
4 days ago#6
The Go is not a gaming headset. For gaming headsets, the major options for PCVR right now are:

WMR - Cheapest, lacks a lot of extra options but it gets the job done for about $200.

Odyssey+ - A WMR headset with a few extra options like a physical IPD adjustment and integrated audio. Usually costs a little more than a basic WMR.

Rift S - A mid-tier headset for about $400. Newer optics and better inside-out tracking than WMR. The integrated audio isn't great, though, and it doesn't have a physical IPD adjustment.

Index - Enthusiast headset for about $1000. Has a lot of really nice features including very comfortable design, controllers with finger tracking, audio so good it must have been made by wizards including a stupid little pinhole mic that somehow manages to sound like professional recording equipment, physical IPD adjustment, Valve's Lighthouse tracking system which is extremely precise, etc. So, yeah, it's worth the money for an enthusiast but you've really gotta be ok with spending that much.

There is also the Quest, a standalone headset that can be optionally linked to a PC. It's not quite as good as the Rift S but if you really value portability, this is the one that offers it.

As for nausea, many people experience it when first using VR but almost everyone gets over it with exposure. In the meantime, most games have comfort options like teleport locomotion and comfort vignettes to minimize it until you get used to VR.

PS, the old Rift and Vive are discontinued which is why I didn't mention them.
Half-Life: Alyx (Index) - Grab Your Russells (Part 1) - https://youtu.be/4EkeNgNiyyY
Heya Camp VR Tour (Index) - Episodes 10-11 - https://youtu.be/CrBpQ6TIKGQ
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
4 days ago#7
First things first, getting motion sickness isn't just caused by one thing, your case might not be a problem with VR and judging by the examples you've listed, it might have to do more with visual stability than actual motion problems like your visual field moving when you don't "feel" like it's moving. Even then, there are plenty of comfort options that may relieve some of that physical limitation, if you have any.

Places like the microsoft store, a VR bar, or one of those kiosks at the mall are good places to try out HMDs so you can get the gist of it, although it's probably harder to do with the pandemic going around. Word of warning though, unless what you are trying is the same exact HMD you're going to buy, it's not always a good representation of what the top end stuff really is. Most bars/kiosks will most likely have GOs and those are pretty low level.

As for the best headset, Index is the best for both visuals and hardware (knuckles) but Rift S isn't that far behind, which makes it a better deal since it's less than half the price of the latter.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 days ago#8
Sounds like you probably cant handle VR with out puking.
I would try some one elses if you know some one with a VR headset or buy one from a place with a good return policy.

PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 days ago#9
You can't tell how VR sickness will be based on other experiences from what I've found. My wife gets seasick and sometimes carsick but never VR sick. I don't get other types of motion sickness but I do get VR sickness.

As for the headset, don't get an original Vive as they are super outdated. The original Rift is also super outdated although sometimes people find them dirt cheap. My pick is the Rift S as the sweet spot between price and performance, although if I were baller I'd get an Index.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
4 days ago#10
Odyssey+
if you can get it for $200 range

and index best overall
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which VR headset is the best?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A