This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are in fact turn based, they're just fast turn based.

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
1 week ago#1
I'm kinda getting sick of people that haven't even played the games claim that they're not turn based, so I wanted to make this topic.

Anyways, if if a games turn based mode is super fast, it's still turn based. The spell descriptions will literally tell you how many turns a spell is gonna take to cast.

And if that's not enough for you, have the game pause at the end of every round. It's something that can really help you out when you're having trouble with certain bosses. There's also a mod that makes it fully turn based.

Seriously, you have so many options to where you can enjoy the game your way. Stop complaining that the default game mode isn't to your liking, and actually take steps to enjoy Baldur's Gate 2.
FC: SW-3046-2401-0737
Add me, esppecially if you like SNES, Warframe, and Super Mario Maker 2.

User Info: SirHeiska

SirHeiska
1 week ago#2
Not sure if this needed its own topic, but yeah...

Reason why BG's and other similar games doesnt feel like turn based is real time movement. All actions are in turns but you can always move.

User Info: EnemyWithin88

EnemyWithin88
1 week ago#3
Ksy
Play Slow Die Ignorant

User Info: TheShadowViper

TheShadowViper
1 week ago#4
Superrpgman posted...
There's also a mod that makes it fully turn based.
You suggest that something is either turn based or it is not and then say a mod "makes it fully turn based". So which is it?

Almost every strategy game in existence would be turn based according to your rules, making the designation useless. The reason people categorize a specific subset of games as "turn based" is because when people read "turn based" they think of distinct turns. Not "rounds" within the game itself (which are often completely hidden from the user), as these are often required for the game to work at all. For instance, you point out spell cooldowns...

1 round = 6 seconds realtime
1 turn = 10 rounds = 60 seconds realtime
1 hour in-game = 5 Turns = 50 rounds = 300 seconds realtime
1 day in-game = 24 Hour in-game = 120 turns = 1200 rounds = 7200 seconds realtime

Note how these are equivalent to real time.

In short, the distinction between a "turn based" game and a "real time" game is often in what is hidden from the user. I would not call you wrong for saying Baldur's gate is turn based, but if someone were to ask me if it was a turn based game I would not say that it was and pretend like that was an adequate explanation. Instead, I would explain how it differs from a conventional turn based game.

You can see this distinction in the user defined tags for Baldur's Gate 2 on Steam:

RPG
Classic
Fantasy
Isometric
Party-Based RPG
Dungeons & Dragons
Real-Time with Pause
Strategy
Masterpiece
Story Rich
CRPG
Singleplayer
Adventure
Old School
Character Customization
Magic
Multiplayer
Atmospheric
Remake
Romance

Note how "turn based" does not appear but "real time with pause" does.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: MrTuna

MrTuna
1 week ago#5
Not sure anybody cares

PC and Nintendo Switch
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Ruppe21

Ruppe21
1 week ago#6
Baldur's gate 1 and 2 are not turn based.
Round based maybe but i t still plays like a real time strategy game.

User Info: xl_Oneiros_lx

xl_Oneiros_lx
1 week ago#7
The Infinity Engine games, the Aurora Engine games, Drakensang etc fall into the real time with pause (RTWP) subclassification. As ShadowViper laid out above rounds and turns are only measurements of time and in addition to determining casting time for spells and length of status effects, is there to limit how many actions your a character can perform in a given time. Almost like the way that animations can limit how quickly a character can act in an action game.

Even if you would set autopause to engage at the end of every round, in that round all tokens on the map are able to move, use items, attack, etc. It is closer to say Vandal Hearts 2's simultaneous turn (or phase based system). You could even have your own archer fire at an enemy mage who gets off a spell and have both characters get gibbed in that same period between pauses.

Doesn't sound very turn based to me. I would say it is only marginally more turn based than playing Contra with a slo-mo controller.

I would not call you wrong for saying Baldur's gate is turn based

I would.

Edit: "Fast turn based" el-oh-el
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: MrTuna

MrTuna
1 week ago#8
Anyways when people say turn based they are most likely talking about the X-Com style

Real time is more like Warcraft Tides of War
PC and Nintendo Switch
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: TheShadowViper

TheShadowViper
1 week ago#9
xl_Oneiros_lx posted...
I would.
And I wouldn't disagree with you. You even have examples of similar games with nearly identical elements that add on turn-based gameplay (such as Divinity Original Sin 2).

I guess I would just be more lenient because Baldur's Gate 2 has always felt like a turn based game to me, and I definitely think it is a good game for transitioning between turn based and real time games (or vice versa).
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: xl_Oneiros_lx

xl_Oneiros_lx
1 week ago#10
TheShadowViper posted...
And I wouldn't disagree with you. You even have examples of similar games with nearly identical elements that add on turn-based gameplay (such as Divinity Original Sin 2).

I guess I would just be more lenient because Baldur's Gate 2 has always felt like a turn based game to me, and I definitely think it is a good game for transitioning between turn based and real time games (or vice versa).

You know, that's a great idea. There are games out there that include both turn based and rtwp combat that can be toggled by the player. Arcanum, Fallout Tactics and Pillars of Eternity II come to mind. Perhaps TC could try one of these and toggle between them to help differentiate the two modes.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are in fact turn based, they're just fast turn based.
  • Topic Closed

GameFAQs Q&A