This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does upbeat cartoonish music sounded better back then?

User Info: Lukas455555

Lukas455555
1 week ago#1
Not that today's music sound bad, but listening to kirby super star ost and then Kirby's Return to Dream Land ost the older one's always sounds better. Like there's something wrong with the instruments used today, maybe too real or way more upbeat than needed.
We are born of the memes, made men by the memes, undone by the memes. Fear the old memes.
- Master Willem. Memesborne

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 week ago#2
Comes down to the composer. Oldschool Nintendo games often had killer or really catchy sound tracks, but there were also plenty of games with music that was 'just there' or was downright bad.

User Info: Lucavi000

Lucavi000
1 week ago#3
It all goes back to either the composer just made music cause they needed music and it was trash or you had composers who made the music to suit the game and it was good.

You can tell this on NES games quite easily.
"Doesn't matter, still obtainable. You were wrong, simply admit it and apologize for your ignorance and s*** attitude." - Firemage7777 to SuperZay

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
1 week ago#4
i think it's because old bittunes had a sort of grainy or scratchy sound quality unlike modern ones that sound more synthy

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
1 week ago#5
A lot of modern games are going for the full orchestra, and I can't think of any examples of where that sounds better. They sound washed out compared to the old chip tunes.
... even on Earth Mode.

User Info: Lukas455555

Lukas455555
1 week ago#6
VoightKent posted...
i think it's because old bittunes had a sort of grainy or scratchy sound quality unlike modern ones that sound more synthy
Yes, this is exactly what i was thinking but couldn't put into words. Some games really benefit from those old bittunes.
chandl34 posted...
A lot of modern games are going for the full orchestra, and I can't think of any examples of where that sounds better. They sound washed out compared to the old chip tunes.
In Some slower paced games i think the orchestra works better. But stuff like megaman, mario, sonic, kirby or such are way better with old music tunes
We are born of the memes, made men by the memes, undone by the memes. Fear the old memes.
- Master Willem. Memesborne

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 week ago#7
I wish they'd ditch the orchestral music trend. It's nice when it's fitting, but it's neither catchy or memorable. Give me upbeat chip tunes and synth any day.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 week ago#8
Old chip tunes were an attractant in arcades. That's how they enticed you to play. That and the promo game play or video that runs on loop.
This carried over into the early console eras and even into the ps2 era.
Then it died.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
Lose 50 experience

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
1 week ago#9
Back in the day, you were VERY limited on what you could do with music. For example, the NES had 5 oscillators, 1 of which was used for (bad) samples and another could only do noise. You effectively had 3 sounds and could play only three notes at once. Because of that, no one tried to do crazy things, they stuck to really simple melodies, often just a bass line, a lead voice and often a rhythm voice or a harmony. You barely have enough to make a chord, so it's often single note lines. You can whistle these, they're simple which makes them easier to memorise.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
There's a lot of factors in it. In a technical standpoint chiptune is usually now emulated for ease of use, you can easily pull the sounds off the older engines if you are tech savvy (and even record through old machines, LSDJ), but most of the time it's easier just to get samples and transpose them. Same thing with working with hardware limitations like having to deal with only 8 channels, so one sound tends to be up front and center (like that DELICIOUS bass on the FF6), this creates a more intimate and "open" feel than another song that has a bunch of other sound effects to mask some of the s***tier composition parts.

Which leads to: the gaming industry doesn't care about it as much anymore, so there's less of a relative budget on audio. For example, it's the same dude that composed both of those OSTs you mentioned. While he's older and probably at a different part of his life where it might be work rather than passion, his department might have gotten way less time and money. Developing games have become a lot more complex with dev teams become larger and larger, while smaller devs have to outsource their soundtracks from people that may or may not even be game musicians (not always a bad thing, like Hotline Miami's OST), so money is spent in much different ways like post production, etc.

There's also a lot of nostalgia involved in music, I think the Killer Instinct soundtrack was absolutely amazing, same with Maximum Carnage but while they are pretty rockin they are also poorly produced.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does upbeat cartoonish music sounded better back then?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers