This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If more cores = better then does that mean the i5 is better than the i7?

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
1 week ago#21
tonicpalin posted...
? Pentium 4 was considered slow? They worked fine for me even when duocores came around. P4 were the fastest single core CPUs ever, before they realised they could NOT make singlecores go any faster w/o burning up the motherboard.

P4 had high Ghz, but in real life, even the Pentium III smoked the early ones. The architecture was just plain bad. My old Core 2 Quad at 2.66 Ghz left 3.8 Ghz P4's in the dust. Every Pentium 4 computer I ever had (which happened to be running Windows XP if that has anything to do with it) was slow as molasses.
Creator of the official Digimon: Digital Monsters community board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1430-digimon-digital-monsters
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Hawx

Hawx
1 week ago#22
ganondorf77 posted...
No, more cores is better if a software is designed considering those more cores. But if it's programmed for 4 cores, having 32 means 28 are not used at all for that process. New software should adapt but there is still no 100% guarantee.

This -
PC/NX - here to assist on certain topics!

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 week ago#23
godplaysSNES posted...
Red Dead Redemption 2 has supposedly gotten better now, but at release, 4C/8T ran it more stable than 6C/6T CPUs, and 6C/12T CPUs ran it more stable than the 8C/8T 9700K

On another note, Assassins Creed Odyssey has similar performance between 4C/8T and 6C/6T CPUs

Gamersnexus just did a video on it, and apparently the problem is <8t CPUs with >140fps, which is why it's so specific to the 9700k. You can even get it on a high enough clocked 4c8t cpu, and presumably a fast enough 6c6t cpu.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 week ago#24
WarGreymon77 posted...
P4 had high Ghz, but in real life, even the Pentium III smoked the early ones.
that's just cherrypicking. might as well say P3s were all s*** compared to modern CPUs. out of context trolling then.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 week ago#25
tonicpalin posted...
WarGreymon77 posted...
P4 had high Ghz, but in real life, even the Pentium III smoked the early ones.
that's just cherrypicking. might as well say P3s were all s*** compared to modern CPUs. out of context trolling then.

Uh P4 went from being worse than P3 to being worst than AMD's offerings. It was just s*** at all GHZ. Lol.

It was the worst option through its life cycle which is why Intel went all out including breaking the law in EVERY country to make it people's ONLY option.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 week ago#26
Citations needed, alt muppets. Now you're moving goalposts. You did start up poop about a singlecore CPU, in a topic about intel multicores. Also wrongly attributing Multithreading as an intel invented, P4 - started , gimmick. In order ti fit your AMD shilling agenda.

How is that not trolling, mods?
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 week ago#27
DarkZV2Beta posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Red Dead Redemption 2 has supposedly gotten better now, but at release, 4C/8T ran it more stable than 6C/6T CPUs, and 6C/12T CPUs ran it more stable than the 8C/8T 9700K

On another note, Assassins Creed Odyssey has similar performance between 4C/8T and 6C/6T CPUs

Gamersnexus just did a video on it, and apparently the problem is <8t CPUs with >140fps, which is why it's so specific to the 9700k. You can even get it on a high enough clocked 4c8t cpu, and presumably a fast enough 6c6t cpu.

This was also back before the patch was released, but one of the tech guest writers on Sweclockers speculated it comes down to how Windows' scheduling works. The premise is it occurs as soon as you're CPU bottlenecked and thread starved.
If you're talking of the same video, he referred to Gamersnexus having solved the problem by going from 1080p medium to 1440p medium (making it GPU bottlenecked instead)

Basically, when all cores are 100% saturated by a gaming workload, there are no free resources available to run the occasional OS background tasks on, which results in occasional stutters when that happens.

The i7 9700k is the extreme outlier since it's bloody fast and can very high framerates, but would still get stutters because of only eight cores/threads. Whereas the i7 8700 6C/12T technically can be CPU limited for the game, but would get more headroom because it has four additional threads to run the OS on. And a possible fix from a game engine perspective would be to always leave 10% or so free to handle the background tasks.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 week ago#28
It's the same s***ty bug from GTA V, their patches will never fix it.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
1 week ago#29
tonicpalin posted...
Citations needed, alt muppets. Now you're moving goalposts. You did start up poop about a singlecore CPU, in a topic about intel multicores. Also wrongly attributing Multithreading as an intel invented, P4 - started , gimmick. In order ti fit your AMD shilling agenda.

How is that not trolling, mods?

First I get called a troll, then an alt. I'll leave you to your paranoia. I never even used an AMD CPU.
Creator of the official Digimon: Digital Monsters community board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1430-digimon-digital-monsters

User Info: Oxn518

Oxn518
1 week ago#30
This must be very embarrassing for TC/
i3 8350k | Zotac GTX 1060 | 16gig DDR4 ram
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If more cores = better then does that mean the i5 is better than the i7?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers