This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to get PS4 Pro/X1X like enhancements on old/current games on PC?

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 week ago#11
nominturddaddy posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
DANW547 posted...
Bump up the resolution and enjoy 60fps in damn near every game.

For instance, I recently played Dead Space 2 on PC at 4k at 60fps, by comparison the old console versions were locked at 30fps (including the Xbox One X version).

60fps is old and weak

I played at 144hz and went back to 60hz.

Someone is not sane
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: jgatlabayan

jgatlabayan
1 week ago#12
You can also plug in ENB mods. Some old games will look great with it, some will look worse.
i7 7700k / 2080ti / ASRock Z270 xtreme4 / 16gb DDR4 3200 / 1tb SSD / 6TB / Tri-Monitor
i7 2600k / 970 / ASRock Z77 xtreme4 / 32gb DDR3 1866 / 240tb SSD / 2TB

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 week ago#13
DarkZV2Beta posted...
it depends on what's being done, but usually pro/x enhancements are just higher resolution or better performance, in which case, it will do that by default on PC when you get new hardware.
Because of the scalable nature of PC hardware, PC games are programmed to run as smooth as they can on whatever resolutions your display is capable of displaying, so there's no need for any fancy patches or tweaking. It's already "enhanced" in the first place.

Want to play Half Life(1998) in 4k at 240fps? Sure. Do it. Easy peasy lemon squeasy.

Though some select games that are backwards compatible on the One X have gotten markedly improved visuals using what they call the "Heutchy method"
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 week ago#14
XXXbone does have some spiffy BC for a console
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: zKanoe

zKanoe
1 week ago#15
PS4 Pro enhancements are pretty minor as a whole, the X1X is pretty decent with 16x Anisotropic Filtering on all games, and then some titles take things a bit further with higher quality textures, pacing, and other post-processing features.

As for PC, just enable some post-processing effects in game, in the ini/config file, use reshade
/sweetfx mods, change your resolution to a higher one if your system can, increase your fresh rate if your system can, enable super sampling/higher resolution scaling if you don't have the native resolution display that you want to jump up to, and...yeah, that's pretty much it. Play with settings.

I got myself and Xbox 1 X recently during BF sales just for BC honestly and I played some current games on game pass just to see what the strongest console stuff looks like in comparison to my 2080 Ti + 9900k setup on the same display (LGC9 65"), things look pretty solid, but definitely not as good still of course. I've gotten used to noticing the finer details after playing on PC for the past couple of years. I do appreciate that the Xbox One X supports higher refresh rates. That was a surprise being able to use 1440p/120hz on it.
Something goes here...someday I'll remember what it was.

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 week ago#16
16x Anisotropic Filtering on all games, and then some titles take things a bit further with higher quality textures, pacing, and other post-processing features.

oh c'mon you can already find 16x Anisotropic on PC games more than 10 years old! for higher quality textures on old games, you'll need to search for fanmods then. and fanmods are one of the best things available to a PC gamer. you might as well use 'em if your fav game was popular enough to get fanmods.

not sure what post-processing you're talking about. more filters? some filters from third party software and fanmods are questionable. like the "SweetFX" textures. or the CRT filters that add fake glare from sunlight shining on your imaginary glassy CRT screen.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97

User Info: StationNation

StationNation
1 week ago#17
DANW547 posted...
Bump up the resolution and enjoy 60fps in damn near every game.

For instance, I recently played Dead Space 2 on PC at 4k at 60fps, by comparison the old console versions were locked at 30fps (including the Xbox One X version).

How do I know what fps games are running in?tonicpalin posted...
If it's just resolution, just go as high as your monitor/screen and GPU can get. Meh. For a cheap speedy anti-alias effect, try setting the res slightly lower than your monitor's native res.

I'll try that. jgatlabayan posted...
You can also plug in ENB mods. Some old games will look great with it, some will look worse.

What is that and how do I do it? tonicpalin posted...
16x Anisotropic Filtering on all games, and then some titles take things a bit further with higher quality textures, pacing, and other post-processing features.

oh c'mon you can already find 16x Anisotropic on PC games more than 10 years old! for higher quality textures on old games, you'll need to search for fanmods then. and fanmods are one of the best things available to a PC gamer. you might as well use 'em if your fav game was popular enough to get fanmods.

not sure what post-processing you're talking about. more filters? some filters from third party software and fanmods are questionable. like the "SweetFX" textures. or the CRT filters that add fake glare from sunlight shining on your imaginary glassy CRT screen.

Based off these two above comments, I have much "lingo" and PC specific gaming info to learn.

Honestly, even after a short time with it, I Cann se why some folks say, "PC Master Race"

Being someone who was really only PC Gaming from 95-98,i never really understood, because I was such a Nintendo and Sega Fan boy.

Back in my day, Ya had one computer on the house, and it was a family computer. Lol
http://www.myspace.com/tjelnumerounodj https://vine.co/u/1350971037696897024
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjthenumberonedj https://m.facebook.com/SinSayTJ/

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 days ago#18
StationNation posted...
How do I know what fps games are running in?

I'll try that.

What is that and how do I do it?

Based off these two above comments, I have much "lingo" and PC specific gaming info to learn.

Honestly, even after a short time with it, I Cann se why some folks say, "PC Master Race"

Being someone who was really only PC Gaming from 95-98,i never really understood, because I was such a Nintendo and Sega Fan boy.

Back in my day, Ya had one computer on the house, and it was a family computer. Lol
You can see FPS by downloading MSI Afterburner(works universally with nVidia and AMD GPUs, provided it's up to date; new GPUs do need explicit support added) and enabling the FPS overlay. I also recommend enabling the frame-time overlay as a graph, as that will actually tell you more about your experience than FPS alone. For example, you might be getting 80fps, but if your frametimes are frequently 20ms, it's going to look a lot more like 50fps.

I don't recommend the suggestion for "a cheap speedy anti-alias", since all it really does is make the game draw each game pixel to multiple screen pixels using a blend, which looks like absolute s***e(and is also how some console games did "AA" back in the day)
if you want a better cheap speedy AA, inject SMAA via DLL. There's lots of them around, and you generally just drag and drop into the game folder for some free, decent quality AA.

ENB is another injector that can enable effects in games that didn't have them by reading certain game values and applying full-screen post processing. There's also, as mentioned previously, texture mods for some games that do quite a lot to make them look recent. There's also sourceports for some games where the source was released, allowing for a much better gameplay experience, better compatibility, brand new rendering techniques, new features, and breaking the original engine limitations so that mods can do more.

Basically, PC has the absolute best when it comes to older games because it's an open and scalable platform. Not only can you run that 1996 game on your brand new PC, but you can do it in 8k 240fps with dynamic shadows, bloom, bump/normal/paralax mapping, high res models, fix the bugs of the original release, and all while recording and streaming it, with your own music playing, and even make your own custom brand-new content for it.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to get PS4 Pro/X1X like enhancements on old/current games on PC?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers