This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bethesda knew they were lying about cosmetic-only MT's by Iaunch on Fallout 76.

User Info: POOKISTAN

POOKISTAN
4 weeks ago#1
This video outlines how a Reddit user realized that one of the pre-launch traiIers for Fallout 76 actually had an element of a microtransaction recentIy released on the game which completely blows those promises of sticking to cosmetic-only microtransactions out of the water (then again, they'd already done that with previous microtransactions that obviously had gameplay implications/affects):

https://youtu.be/gpt8O8Kn8XA

What Mr. Yong doesn't seem to connect-the-dots with is that the trailer was posted well before the games' release:

https://youtu.be/Og3A5yIs3b8?t=48

The time-stamp is at the point where you can see the docking station that just recently became available in the shop for Fallout 76 that comes with a Protectron that passively gathers supplies at your base. Also of note, as I'd mentioned, is the trailer was posted well before the launch date of the game, which was 11-14-18 (the trailer was uploaded on 6-27-18).

To start: It was disgusting and disappointing enough to watch them blatantly go back on their word regarding microtransactions in the first place, and it was especially deplorable after releasing such a legendarily broken game to begin with (you can say what you want about typically how buggy Bethesda games are, but no game up to this point was anywhere near as bad as this game was). But, the extra layer of bulls*** frosting on top, that makes everything all-the-more egregious, is this now reveals that they were well aware before launch that they weren't going to keep the microtransaction shop cosmetic-only, because they were actively going through what they'd created and setting aside items from the core game with intent to sell them later. So, they were lying through their teeth the entire time, and they absolutely knew it - It wasn't like 'things changed' after-the-fact (even though that still wouldn't have been much of a worthwhile excuse), but they flat-out knew they were feeding the gaming community a massive line of bulls***.

My trust level was very low for them after seeing all this unfold (thankfully, I avoided being part of it first-hand by letting this release to see what it looked like after the dust settled, and that turned out to be a very good decision). I guess my only thoughts are that I'm glad they put Skyrim in VR (and Fallout 4 if I ever get a PC powerful enough to play it in VR) before they went to s***, but I am absolutely never buying anything they release on launch again ever. That's really sad to say, as Fallout 3 is probably within my top 5 games of all-time, and open-world Bethesda games overall are amongst the best games available on any platform they appear on.

Just thought I'd take a sec to let others know, though. Pretty sad that when you watch something unfold and you think to yourself 'The details of this couldn't possibly get worse', yet somehow they manage it. And this kind of behavior is becoming more commonplace in the industry that holds the most weight in more/less my ability to enjoy life, as gaming [CAN BE] some of the most fun and rewarding things in this life, and a nice distraction from the ever-present degredation of; Well - Pretty much every other aspect of life, as we slowly devolve into the wonderful Orwellian nightmare that subsequent generations will get to deal with, all thanks to the wonderful foresight of Baby Boomers!

*Waggles thumbs...*

Pretty f***ing sad when the one bastion of escapism begins to be as much of a reminder of how things are endlessly getting worse than the escapism from such things that you use them for...

<_<

Sooo... That's a thing, I guess. I'll look forward to the trolling below, and make sure you keep that in mind when you see the announcement trailer for the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout game, assuming they don't start creating games exclusively on mobile for the sake of maximizing profits...

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
4 weeks ago#2
Go to 3:45 and watch for about a minute. My man Yong connected the dots just fine. Don't sully his name because you didn't watch the video.

As for Bethesda f***ing players over again, it's funny, and I laugh every time they do it. Anyone still playing this pile of trash deserves everything they get.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

POOKISTAN
4 weeks ago#3
gwizzler posted...
Go to 3:45 and watch for about a minute. My man Yong connected the dots just fine. Don't sully his name because you didn't watch the video.

As for Bethesda f***ing players over again, it's funny, and I laugh every time they do it. Anyone still playing this pile of trash deserves everything they get.

Watch from 4:40 - He says that it's something that they decided to sell after they decided no longer to adhere to their cosmetics-only promise. In other words, he does appear to be missing that puzzle-piece. He doesn't seem to realize that it wasn't just an extra thing that was removed from the game that they just happened to have lying around on a hard drive, so when they had the office meeting that they were going to introduce non-cosmetics to the storefront they just magically realized that they had this one asset that was cut from the game. No - What's far more likely is that they cut it before launch with the expressed purpose of making it available after launch and, again: That doesn't appear to be how he's presenting it.

I'm a fan of him too, but it looks like he may have missed that detail, even if I do appreciate him reporting on it...

User Info: Milennin

Milennin
4 weeks ago#4
At this point, the only people still clinging to that '''''game''''' (read: heap of digital garbage) are the hardcore fanbois/masochists who'll eat up anything Bethesda poops out, so it's not like anybody who's still involved really cares.
Offence is taken, not given.

POOKISTAN
4 weeks ago#5
Weird - We appear to have posted at the exact same time Mr. @Milennin . At this time of night (early morning), the chances of that are near zilch...

User Info: Milennin

Milennin
4 weeks ago#6
POOKISTAN posted...
Weird - We appear to have posted at the exact same time Mr. @Milennin . At this time of night (early morning), the chances of that are near zilch...

Afternoon for me in the EU. But yeah, don't recall having seen that sort of timing before... must be an omen.
Offence is taken, not given.

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
4 weeks ago#7
POOKISTAN posted...
Watch from 4:40 - He says that it's something that they decided to sell after they decided no longer to adhere to their cosmetics-only promise. In other words, he does appear to be missing that puzzle-piece. He doesn't seem to realize that it wasn't just an extra thing that was removed from the game that they just happened to have lying around on a hard drive, so when they had the office meeting that they were going to introduce non-cosmetics to the storefront they just magically realized that they had this one asset that was cut from the game. No - What's far more likely is that they cut it before launch with the expressed purpose of making it available after launch and, again: That doesn't appear to be how he's presenting it.

I'm a fan of him too, but it looks like he may have missed that detail, even if I do appreciate him reporting on it...

As the video you claimed he missed is on his screen, he says, "So, it goes to show that this isn't necessarily new content. This is stuff they had already planned for...that, after they decided they would no longer adhere to their cosmetic only promise...they sold separately for five bucks."

If you're a fan of his, you know he very rarely, if ever, is brief and to the point.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

User Info: EnemyWithin88

EnemyWithin88
4 weeks ago#8
This is before everyone scolds you for never playing the piece of s***
Play Slow Die Ignorant

POOKISTAN
4 weeks ago#9
EnemyWithin88 posted...
This is before everyone scolds you for never playing the piece of s***

I honestly think I could enjoy it despite its flaws, but there's better stuff for me to be playing currently (and since its launch), and if I do play it, it'll be at dirt-cheap...

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 weeks ago#10
Milennin posted...
At this point, the only people still clinging to that '''''game''''' (read: heap of digital garbage) are the hardcore fanbois/masochists who'll eat up anything Bethesda poops out, so it's not like anybody who's still involved really cares.

New gamers enter the community every day, so it's important that they know what Bethesda is like nowadays.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bethesda knew they were lying about cosmetic-only MT's by Iaunch on Fallout 76.
  • Topic Archived