This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surge protector with an extension cord

User Info: BeyondWalls

BeyondWalls
1 month ago#21
TonyKojima posted...
Instead of using an extension cord for the Surge (even though its come to light I may not even have grounding but who cares!!) is it safe to use multiple extension cords for my accessories? Such as Monitor, the desktop itself, printer etc etc. Provided the attached cords don't reach.

Um... that sounds like a house fire waiting to happen. You'd be off with just one extension cord and the surge protector. The surge protector may not protect without ground but it'll still work as an outlet. What all are you plugging into this thing?
END OF LINE

User Info: TonyKojima

TonyKojima
1 month ago#22
BeyondWalls posted...
TonyKojima posted...
Instead of using an extension cord for the Surge (even though its come to light I may not even have grounding but who cares!!) is it safe to use multiple extension cords for my accessories? Such as Monitor, the desktop itself, printer etc etc. Provided the attached cords don't reach.

Um... that sounds like a house fire waiting to happen. You'd be off with just one extension cord and the surge protector. The surge protector may not protect without ground but it'll still work as an outlet. What all are you plugging into this thing?

My desktop and accompanying equipment. Plus my MT32 and SC55 MIDI devices. Perhaps a few random things. The other outlet will tske care of my tv, consoles, reciever (hooked up to pc), lamp etc etc. I will also be making use of smart plugs.
Though the XBOX 360 is good in theory, it's hardware limitations say otherwise - Hideo Kojima

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
1 month ago#23
BeyondWalls posted...
TonyKojima posted...

No, never daisy chain extension plugs. Wall sockets have a max amperage, in the UK it's 13A but the US I read can be 15A to 20A. Your house is old so it's probably 15A per socket if you are in the US. One multiblock in the wall socket is already loading the socket so if you daisy chain them you are reaching max load before you even plug in your accessories. Overloading is a fire risk, and if you plug/unplug from an overloading source you have an increased risk of getting jolted.

User Info: ViolentAbacus

ViolentAbacus
4 weeks ago#24
So, interesting tidbit about where I work...

I work in a local courthouse, IT department... We - or rather, they - daisy chain surge protectors and it bothers the f*** out of me. And when I bring it up they just kind of pass it off. I'm like, you work in IT and don't understand?
https://backloggery.com/zayakza

User Info: TonyKojima

TonyKojima
4 weeks ago#25
I might be able to make due with an 8 to 10 foot cord on a surge. A shame the cyberpower one only has a 6 foot cord.
Though the XBOX 360 is good in theory, it's hardware limitations say otherwise - Hideo Kojima
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surge protector with an extension cord
  • Topic Archived