This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. im getting super discouraged trying to play on a keyboard

User Info: Stallion_Prime

Stallion_Prime
4 weeks ago#11
MarceloSampaio posted...
Honestly, I don't know what to say except... practice it.

I play everything with the keyboard, even fighting games. To me, it feels like second nature. Maybe because I'm a PC gamer since 1986, but I just feel like keyboard (+mouse when needed) is the most comfortable control scheme.

I know "practice it" sounds like "git gud" but honestly, there's no other way to learn how to use the keyboard other than using it constantly.

Just remember: don't try to be the best player around now. This is not the time. Play some single player game and use a lower difficulty setting. Keep playing until you don't feel like you need to look at the keyboard and then raise the difficulty.

NEVER start with an online competitive game. You'll just be frustrated and feel like you are not making any progress.

If this is happening, this means you are doing it wrong.

What games are you trying? Are you trying something challenging? If yes, don't. Not now. Not yet. Your main enemy now should be the keyboard, not the game. Play something easy, kinda casual, until you are comfortable with the keyboard. Then move on to something more complex.

wolfenstein old blood
-Hunter1534
http://abload.de/img/powercdkcb.gif

Stallion_Prime
4 weeks ago#12
im getting a bit better at it. though i keep missing the crouch button :/

i have my reload button as one of the side buttons my logitech mouse has and it makes it easier for me
-Hunter1534

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 weeks ago#13
Stallion_Prime posted...

i have my reload button as one of the side buttons my logitech mouse has and it makes it easier for me

I use my own key bindings. I'd suggest NOT doing that as it's really annoying to change your controls in every game, and sometimes games have hard coded keybindings that interfere, but if you struggle, maybe try it and see if it helps. I switch over to ESDF, basically the same positions as WASD, but crouch becomes A. My pinky is long enough to still use SHIFT as sprint. I've heard some people have issues with that.

It opens up Q and Z as well for other things. I use them for switching weapons and toggling walk. And it keeps my fingers on the home row! Old school, baby!
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: Crenlar

Crenlar
4 weeks ago#14
Boge posted...
Stallion_Prime posted...

I use my own key bindings. I'd suggest NOT doing that as it's really annoying to change your controls in every game, and sometimes games have hard coded keybindings that interfere, but if you struggle, maybe try it and see if it helps. I switch over to ESDF, basically the same positions as WASD, but crouch becomes A. My pinky is long enough to still use SHIFT as sprint. I've heard some people have issues with that.

It opens up Q and Z as well for other things. I use them for switching weapons and toggling walk. And it keeps my fingers on the home row! Old school, baby!

I must have oddly structured hands and fingers. My pinky still wants to rest on capslock with esdf.

User Info: dummy420

dummy420
4 weeks ago#15
I took a while to get used to it myself when I changed from console. I still use controller for most games that are single player. But you get used to it. You can also rebind as people suggested. Just takes a while if all your used to is controller.
Trying is the first step towards failure, so just dont give it a shot and you cant dissapoint.

User Info: Naysaspace

Naysaspace
4 weeks ago#16
The """""master race's""""" dirty little secret is they use gamepads for 75% of modern releases. I recommend the xbox 1 vanilla controller. Pairs seamlessly to windows 10 via bluetooth and RF (the latter with a required $30 dongle)
(edited 2/29/2019 11:13:15 AM)

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 weeks ago#17
Naysaspace posted...
The """""master race's""""" dirty little secret is they use gamepads for 75% of modern releases.

I'm pretty sure that shooters count for more than a quarter of modern releases.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
4 weeks ago#18
Honestly, MineCraft would be a good game to practice moving around and getting used to the keyboard with.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

Stallion_Prime
4 weeks ago#19
So im okay at overwatch. And i tried battlefront 2 and im hopeless lmao. Some of these key bindings are waaay too far and i cant find a decent alternative. Maybe some games i'll stick with gamepad haha
-Hunter1534

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
4 weeks ago#20
ProfessorKukui posted...
Angle the keyboard. Helps somewhat

It helps easing off the wrist and forearm muscle fatigue during prolonged gaming sessions, but doesn't help with 'remembering key functions' like the OP describes. Only by actually playing the game will the new player get used to the keymapping.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. im getting super discouraged trying to play on a keyboard
  • Topic Archived