This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen 3700x temps are super high

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
3 weeks ago#21
tigerslashII posted...
I dropped voltage to 1.25v, modified my fan settings, locked the clock speed at 3.6ghz, and switched the Wraith Prism cooler's switch from L to H (I think, it's hard to see it). It caps out below 85C during my tests so far, so as long as it doesn't get into the 90s anymore it's whatever.

At 3.6GHz you should be able to drop voltage a lot lower than that. Try dropping it down to 1.2v and run stress tests, then another .025 at a time and retest. You should be able to get temps down lower than mid 80s at that low of a clock speed.
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 32GB Corsair LPX 3200 | 1TB 970 EVO + 1TB SX8200 Pro | Asus STRIX 2080 - https://bit.ly/2SLQOQG
EVGA SC17

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#22
Motherboard software reports socket temp as CPU temp sometimes, which is much lower. coretemp and other such software reports from the cpu temperature sensors.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
2 weeks ago#23
gnomekingclive posted...
castrejon04 posted...
gnomekingclive posted...
That is my idle experience with a 9900k. 40c but then spikes to 55c-60c if anything happens at all. Like loading a webpage.

Taking voltages down helped keep it at 70-75c during gaming though(60c average temp).

You need a better cooler. My 9900k idles at 30c or lower depending on room temperature. Under game load, it jumps to 50c or lower.

Which program are you using to measure temps? That makes a big dfference. My motherboard software says my temps are at 38c and 55c during gaming. Other software shows the core temps getting up to 75c at times but going back down to 60c a few seconds later.

Also i have an overclock in place which will increase temps.

Mine idles around 28c to 30c as well.

Asscreed oddy brings my temps up to 65c but most other games its lower.

Avx prime95 brings it up to like 90c+ though after 10 mins or so. I think this is normal without going 360mm aio or custom watwrcooling. without avx it just sits around 75c.

Overall kept below 70c while gaming. Using mce to turbo boost my chip to 5 ghz all core and use ac/dc llc powersaving to keep vcore around 1.25v but shoots up to 1.28v during stress test.

My chip cannot manually overclock for some reason so have to use mce. Even tried higher vcore manually and it just bsod lol.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080ti FE |Aorus Master Z390 | 2 TB 850 EVO + 1tb 970 EVO| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA T2 1000W
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7337013
(message deleted)

User Info: gnomekingclive

gnomekingclive
2 weeks ago#25
I gotta figure out how to get my CPU to downclock when idle. Its always at 5.0ghz. I bet my idle temps would lower by quite a bit if the voltage and frequency wasnt always at max.

User Info: Aries42088

Aries42088
2 weeks ago#26
gnomekingclive posted...
I gotta figure out how to get my CPU to downclock when idle. Its always at 5.0ghz. I bet my idle temps would lower by quite a bit if the voltage and frequency wasnt always at max.

Should be a speedstep option in your BIOS.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
2 weeks ago#27
My 1600 is very cold.
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 weeks ago#28
Ratchetrockon posted...
gnomekingclive posted...
castrejon04 posted...
gnomekingclive posted...
That is my idle experience with a 9900k. 40c but then spikes to 55c-60c if anything happens at all. Like loading a webpage.

Taking voltages down helped keep it at 70-75c during gaming though(60c average temp).

You need a better cooler. My 9900k idles at 30c or lower depending on room temperature. Under game load, it jumps to 50c or lower.

Which program are you using to measure temps? That makes a big dfference. My motherboard software says my temps are at 38c and 55c during gaming. Other software shows the core temps getting up to 75c at times but going back down to 60c a few seconds later.

Also i have an overclock in place which will increase temps.

Mine idles around 28c to 30c as well.

Asscreed oddy brings my temps up to 65c but most other games its lower.

Avx prime95 brings it up to like 90c+ though after 10 mins or so. I think this is normal without going 360mm aio or custom watwrcooling. without avx it just sits around 75c.

Overall kept below 70c while gaming. Using mce to turbo boost my chip to 5 ghz all core and use ac/dc llc powersaving to keep vcore around 1.25v but shoots up to 1.28v during stress test.

My chip cannot manually overclock for some reason so have to use mce. Even tried higher vcore manually and it just bsod lol.

Have you validated your overclock via benchmarking scores?
'cuz ryzen has this thing where lowering the voltage will sometimes just lower performance at the same reported clockspeed, rather than cause instability.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: tigerslashII

tigerslashII
2 weeks ago#29
Once I locked the clockspeed down to 3.6ghz and the voltage to 1.25v I haven't had a problem with cooling while idle or in games. Booted up Control today on max settings to try my RTX card out and the thing barely felt it, even while streaming 1080p at 60fps.
Get a loada this guy here.
http://i.imgur.com/5fTKLaM.jpg

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
2 weeks ago#30
There's something seriously strange with the bioses and probably even Windows when it comes to the Ryzen 3000 series, and even the 5700 series GPUs. Somebody needs to get their act together especially with regard to drivers.

I was considering getting a Ryzen 3700x, but for now am more than happy with my 2700. I might upgrade next year, or the year after with zen4 or 5 (hopefully by then the platform had stabilised much better). There are too many articles regarding high core voltages and temperatures.

The only reason I was considering the 3000 series was more to do with ram support (though the fact it has better ipc definitely helps). But since my 4 sticks of DDR4 3600 ram run nicely at 3200 with good timings, it's all good (must have been an update that allowed that since I was originally getting instabilities trying to run at that speed with 4 dimms).

The 5700 seem to have issues as well. It's a pity because it's a very nice GPU. Auto undervolt, using Radeon chill and this thing is brilliant. I was considering a palit 2070 super jet stream, but at £100 more than the sapphire pulse 5700 XT, I don't think for now the price is justified.

i also think windows 1903 doesn't help (I believe 1809 is more stable). Hopefully the next version will be better.

Hardware being affected by the standard software issues. They need more advanced integration tests and better QA.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen 3700x temps are super high
  • Topic Archived