This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen 3700x temps are super high

User Info: tigerslashII

tigerslashII
3 weeks ago#1
I just built my new rig and I'm noticing my temps are pretty high. Looking around the internet it seems like this isn't an unusual thing either. For reference I'm using an AMD 3700x on an MSI Pro Gaming Carbon Wifi 570x chipset mobo with 32gb DDR4 3200 with the stock AMD cooler and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut compound. 3x intake fans and 1x exhaust with an open airflow path, nothing obstructing it. All temps in Celsius.

At idle the CPU will fluctuate in the 40Cs. However and random times it will spike into the 50s. That is absurd to me for sitting idle on a desktop with nothing running but a system monitor. I went into the BIOS and knocked the voltage down to 1.300v and turned down the auto-super-gaming-whatever-boost-XTREME thing these boards come with to do dynamic overclocking and got it to idle between the high 30s and mid 40s. Now I'm installing games and it's sitting right around 60C.

I decided to do a stress test so I started prime95 and let it run. It would hold at 60C like it was nailed there for about 10 minutes before arbitrarily deciding to skyrocket up to the 80s. I killed the test when the temp hit 92C after about 15 minutes.

Between the asinine layout of this BIOS and the constant arguing with "gaming" software I'm terrified I'm not going to be able to r***** the CPU's automatic overclocking enough to not go nuclear during gaming. Are these temps normal for Ryzen? Is this concern warranted?
Get a loada this guy here.
http://i.imgur.com/5fTKLaM.jpg

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#2
This is what happens when you rush products.

Also you answered you very last question within your second sentence I do believe.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
3 weeks ago#3
To be fair, 1.3v is still quite a bit on the Vcore. I dialed my friend's 2600X down to 3.8GHz all core at 1.125v, and it idles in mid 30s and doesn't hit above 70C while gaming. That's just using a wraith spire cooler. I imagine you could lock yours at 4-4.1GHz all core at ~1.25v to drop temps a few degrees. The gaming performance isn't going to take a big hit by dropping a couple hundred MHz.
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 32GB Corsair LPX 3200 | 1TB 970 EVO + 1TB SX8200 Pro | Asus STRIX 2080 - https://bit.ly/2SLQOQG
EVGA SC17

tigerslashII
3 weeks ago#4
Dave_rawkzorz posted...
To be fair, 1.3v is still quite a bit on the Vcore. I dialed my friend's 2600X down to 3.8GHz all core at 1.125v, and it idles in mid 30s and doesn't hit above 70C while gaming. That's just using a wraith spire cooler. I imagine you could lock yours at 4-4.1GHz all core at ~1.25v to drop temps a few degrees. The gaming performance isn't going to take a big hit by dropping a couple hundred MHz.

The voltage was going up to 1.45 stock which from what I've read is somewhere between really high and way too damn high.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#5
yeah that's not safe for everyday use.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

tigerslashII
3 weeks ago#6
I'm gonna try dialing the voltage back again. I can't figure out how to lock the core clock speed, I tried disabling the dynamic overclocker but god help me I think there's multiple places I need to do so.

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#7
I can't believe AMD shipped out their chips like this.

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#8
It's probably something to do with motherboard vendors wanting an edge in benchmarks and user reviews, so they push the chips harder by default.
It's commonplace these days. Just gotta find and disable all that s***.

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#9
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's probably something to do with motherboard vendors wanting an edge in benchmarks and user reviews, so they push the chips harder by default.
It's commonplace these days. Just gotta find and disable all that s***.

That's stupid. I guess if their board fries your CPU they wont do anything about it

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#10
if it does, it won't happen right away, so they can get away with it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ryzen 3700x temps are super high
  • Topic Archived