This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's baffling to me how many people rely 100% only on Windows Defender

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
4 weeks ago#101
Malwarebytes Premium has pretty much obsoleted most AV's and it's nowhere near as bloated or resource heavy as a traditional AV

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#102
spike_spiegel posted...
Malwarebytes Premium has pretty much obsoleted most AV's and it's nowhere near as bloated or resource heavy as a traditional AV
It also scored the lowest in recent virus tests.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
4 weeks ago#103
SinisterSlay posted...
spike_spiegel posted...
It also scored the lowest in recent virus tests.

If you're torrenting and downloading shady exe files that's you you. It has never failed to protect me on websites where it blocks s*** immediately.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#104
spike_spiegel posted...
If you're torrenting and downloading shady exe files that's you you. It has never failed to protect me on websites where it blocks s*** immediately.
If your using a browser that lets s*** through that's on you. My browsers haven't failed to protect me.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
4 weeks ago#105
Viper187666 posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...

Even NoScript + Ublock Origin + Windows Defender + Malwarebytes + Common sense isn't foolproof. It doesn't make sense to me. Many good A/V are free, why not spend 30 seconds downloading BitDefender or something semi decent? They run in the background, use basically no resources on any computer that isn't from 1998, and just add extra security and peace of mind.

Every AV I had was just intrusive and f***in annoying, especially when it flagged s*** I knew to be fine and tried to delete it (like the Horizon app everyone uses to mod Xbox360 saves).

This.

The one time I've used an anti-virus that wasn't Defender (McAffee), I booted my PC up in the morning, went to go make breakfast, came back, and discoverd that McAffee had deleted dozens of folders containing years of writing projects I had worked on, (which, thankfully, were backed up), because it detected them as "Malicious software", despite, you know, them being god damned Microsoft Word documents.

I have not, nor will I ever, use a paid anti-virus again, which isn't a major loss seeing as I've never had my information stolen from working on my PC before - where as I've had the information on my card skimmed twice from gas stations over here in the east coast.

So...yeah, I think I'm good, TC, on relying on Windows Defender. Atleast that s*** won't delete my own damned documents thinking they're malicious.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
4 weeks ago#106
Aries42088 posted...
You don't know if the other kids in their class have an immunity disorder.
Viper187666 posted...
It's called natural selection.
"daily reminder spino is full tsundere about PSVR." - LordKaizer

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
4 weeks ago#107
Ive recently used malwayrebytes,kapersky, and bitdefender in this order. I was only using malwarebytes to scan my system periodically these past few years but decided to try out other software just in case. I visit some shady sites sometimes so its needed imho.

Malwarebytes detected 2 adware threats (as usual) which I promptly removed. Then used kapersky and it detected nothing after a full scan. Then downloaded bitdefender which made me delete malwarebytes and kapersky which I was ok with. After a full scan it detected a trojan in one of the windows registry that the other two failed to detect.

Im sticking with bitdefender.

Hopefully that trojan didn't leak too much info. Ive forgotten the full name of it but remember trojan.(randomword).zantse.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080ti FE |Aorus Master Z390 | 2 TB 850 EVO + 1tb 970 EVO| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA T2 1000W
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7337013

User Info: Aries42088

Aries42088
4 weeks ago#108
tzuyd posted...
Aries42088 posted...
You don't know if the other kids in their class have an immunity disorder.
Viper187666 posted...
It's called natural selection.

I lol'd

but really though we as a species have gotten to the point where things like that aren't necessarily weeded out in developed societies. Not really a bad thing.

Kids shouldn't suffer because their parents are morons.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

User Info: Lee7

Lee7
4 weeks ago#109
I used to run virus scanners, firewalls, malware-bytes and other s*** daily, then weekly, then monthly and these days I haven't even bothered installing any of them(other than whatever-defender win10 comes with), why? Because in past ten years they haven't found single thing that wasn't false-positive.

Unless you are constantly browsing, installing and downloading shady s***, clicking "yes" to every pop-up window and clicking everything you see on the screen, its actually very hard to get any viruses or other s***. These days you cant simply get viruses out of nowhere. Its better to keep your hardware, software etc upto date and install those f***ing updates and not postpone them like you do for all other important things in your life, just f***ing do it already.
-Sense, this makes none-
-AMD Duron 650 @ 400 MHz / NVIDIA TITAN Xp / 2TB ram / 8MB HDD / Windows ME/ Some random PSU / Sony FW-900 24" CRT monitor-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's baffling to me how many people rely 100% only on Windows Defender
  • Topic Archived