This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do quality of sata cables matter or the cheapest ones from Amazon will do?

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#11
Killah Priest posted...
you still have to grip the connector either way so I'm not seeing much of a difference unless you're yanking them out by the cable?

Eh, I've had them get stuck, and it's a real PITA getting the clips loose. I prefer the non-clipped ones myself, but I don't have to muck around with them as much these days.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 weeks ago#12
i'm hesitant to buy the cheapest cables after getting a cheap displayport cable from monoprice and having it crap out. just seems like bad practice.
People die when they are killed.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola

User Info: Freeman9800

Freeman9800
4 weeks ago#13
I have close to 200 comps and have never had a sata cable go out on me. Even at my old job rebuilding computers there was never a bad one. Just make sure it's Sata 3 and your good.
ASUS ROG GU501GM
Dell G7 Gaming

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#14
monkmith posted...
i'm hesitant to buy the cheapest cables after getting a cheap displayport cable from monoprice and having it crap out. just seems like bad practice.

Up to you. SATA cables are pretty damn simple tbh. I never run into a bad cable outside of one that physically broke the connector because I did a stupid.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
4 weeks ago#15
monkmith posted...

Monoprice has a lifetime warranty for their cables, you can still get that fixed.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
4 weeks ago#16
Really it boils down to this:

1) When it comes to SATA cables, cables are cables. The cheap ones will work just as fine (from a throughput perspective) as the more expensive ones. The more expensive ones might be objectively better though; more flexible, braided, better build quality, etc.

2) Regardless if you prefer angled or not, retention clip or not, you will never have the cable that you actually want for the connection you are making. If you want an angled one with a clip, you will only find one that is straight and without the clip. It's practically a law of the universe.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 weeks ago#17
I've had super cheap cables not get me my full speed even if they claimed to be 6Gb, it was like $3 for a 3-pack. They had all-plastic connectors (aside from the pins obviously) and I had a bad feeling just from looking at them. I got about 200MB/s out of an SSD that I got 550 out of after swapping to a $2 one
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
4 weeks ago#18
Do they sell soft more flexible cables
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 weeks ago#19
wizardmon posted...
monkmith posted...

Monoprice has a lifetime warranty for their cables, you can still get that fixed.

it was a 4 dollar cable, i'm not wasting my time. the issue was it was cheap as hell with a very thin sheathing and weak plugs, upgrading to a 12 dollar cable completely fixed the issue.
People die when they are killed.
Quando il gioco e finito, il re e il pedone vanno nella stessa scatola
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do quality of sata cables matter or the cheapest ones from Amazon will do?
  • Topic Archived