This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is this the best $900 gaming laptop I can get?

User Info: bullfrogish

bullfrogish
1 month ago#1
ASUS ROG STRIX Laptop 15.6", Intel Core i5-9300H 2.4GHz (Turbo up to 4.1GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 6GB, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIE SSD, GL531GU-WB53

I found this on Walmart.com for $899. I'm trying to find a gaming laptop better than this for about $900 or lower. Anyone know if there's a better value than this right now? That GTX 1660 Ti is pretty close to being a GTX 1070.

User Info: 1337Rooster

1337Rooster
1 month ago#2
That's pretty good. You should not feel bad about that purchase. But it is a laptop, just don't look at power. Make sure its reliable and won't break on you, see reviews to make sure it won't overheat or have any major issues. Make sure the keyboard is decent too.
Thank you for playing. Yes. I am number one!

bullfrogish
1 month ago#3
1337Rooster posted...
That's pretty good. You should not feel bad about that purchase. But it is a laptop, just don't look at power. Make sure its reliable and won't break on you, see reviews to make sure it won't overheat or have any major issues. Make sure the keyboard is decent too.

That's really good advice, and something I literally just thought to look into like 15 minutes ago. Looks like Asus is the leader when it comes to their gaming laptops not malfunctioning over 3 years. So that puts me at ease for this big purchase.

https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

Still not anything to boast about, considering the source says: Nearly 1 in 3 Laptops fail over 3 years

User Info: thepro189

thepro189
1 month ago#4
i think i wouldnt be able to find anything better than this.

im not sure about your country, but over here we can get another 18% off on electronics if you have a “tax number”. it’s really handy.

that 900 could turn into 750.

bullfrogish
1 month ago#5
I'm from the United States. We just have a 6% tax where I'm located on purchases. So really, it's $900 + $54
(message deleted)

User Info: SonyHoundDawg

SonyHoundDawg
1 month ago#7
Seems like a great deal honestly, I was looking around at lap tops a lot this weekend and even with prime sales thaat happened this is easily a great deal @ $400 off for the more up to date video cards and such.

The only bad thing is just the 512 SSD and no bigger drive which could be an issue or might be another drive purchase down the line if you need space. Were already seeing some 80-100GB games out there, plus windows is gonna up some of the space. If your purely gaming and don't mind deleting stuff and downloading a lot it should be fine.

bullfrogish
1 month ago#8
yeah prime sales were pretty weak. I'll be getting a 2tb firecuda and another 8 gb stick of ram so i can run dual channel.

User Info: Solhdier

Solhdier
1 month ago#9
The crazy good Helios 300 was on sale a couple of days ago for $999.
1660ti, i7 9th, 16GB RAM and praised performance.
Mexican ? Block

bullfrogish
4 weeks ago#10
Thanks guys. I did buy the Asus Laptop from Walmart. Every laptop with specs like this were about $200+ everywhere else, including Amazon, and Newegg. They just raised it up to a $1,000 after I bought it, so they might've accidentally priced it wrong.

I think that Helios 300 sold out like the first day it was up. I only had about $950 on me anyway though. So that was just enough to cover tax. From what I can tell, the i5 9300 wont be bottlenecking my GPU anyway, but I would've taken that extra cpu performance, if i had the extra $100 or so!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is this the best $900 gaming laptop I can get?
  • Topic Archived