This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Possible to enable 5.1 surround using HDMI ARC?

User Info: Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311
1 month ago#1
I currently have my PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI, the TV is then connected to my 5.1 surround sound via HDMI ARC. This works fine for my other devices which all default to 5.1 but my PC only acknowledges stereo as an option. There is a Dolby Atmos option but all the speakers are greyed out when I try and test them and setting it just gives me a message that’s it’s not supported.

Is it possible to enable 5.1 through this method or does the PC need to be connected to the receiver?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 month ago#2
Im guessing your 5.1 system is not Dolby certified. Anyhow, when connecting multiple devices, it's should be standard to connect through a receiver anyway.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97

Sephiroth311
1 month ago#3
I thought it was Dolby certified but the reason I don’t connect directly through it is because it doesn’t support 4k. I’m currently in the market for a new one

tonicpalin
1 month ago#4
>4K
er. since when was audio "4K"? can't you split the audio output from the HDMI out???

Sephiroth311
1 month ago#5
I’m talking about video output, plugging my PC into a 1080p receiver won’t allow me to set a 4K resolution.

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 month ago#6
Can you use Optical and avoid ARC entirely? Windows 10 at least, should allow you to do 5.1 over that. I had this same issue with my media center PC when I ran out of HDMI ports on my receiver. Tried to cheat it and was unsuccessful. IIRC, the issue is more the TV, but it's been about 4 years since I fussed with it honestly.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
1 month ago#7
When you say your PC only acknowledges stereo as an option, are you talking about the sound settings control application within Windows itself? You need to set your sound to 5.1 there before the receiver is going to acknowledge it as 5.1.

And if that's the case and it's greyed out there then yeah, Windows isn't seeing the ability for your receiver to output 5.1 which would indicate a handshake issue between the TV/ARC/Receiver, with the TV being the likely culprit as not properly recognizing the PC as a 5.1 capable device.

I agree with the other post that the easiest way is to avoid ARC and use an optical cable if it's an option. But if not, I'd say try the typical troubleshooting stuff like trying a different HDMI cable, going into the TV settings and setting the device to PC on the HDMI input you're using (if it's an option for your TV) and also maybe trying different HDMI ports on the receiver.

If you have HDMI on your motherboard, I think you should at least try that too, just to see if it works. But I imagine it wouldn't.

tonicpalin
1 month ago#8
Sephiroth311 posted...
I’m talking about video output, plugging my PC into a 1080p receiver won’t allow me to set a 4K resolution.

I meant plug HDMI to the TV for 4K video, plug audio line out to the receiver. that or get a HDMI splitter to split the audio output from the HDMI out. of course i'm not sure if that would work since we still have no idea what kind of receiver or 5.1 system you have. does it accept audio lineout from a PC, to obtain surround sound data?

AFAIK to get surround sound data from audio lineout , there should be a setting in window's sound to set it to "Matrix Surround" or soemthing, then your receiver(if Dolby ProLogic certified or similar) should decode that data and convert it to something a 5.1 system could make full use of.

But like what the above said, optical cable is a better option. but since your PC is connected to the TV and not the 5.1 system directly, it's most likely a problem with your TV not being recognised as something that can support 5.1 .

User Info: SolidDBZ

SolidDBZ
1 month ago#9
If I remember correctly, optical and HDMI ARC only support stereo or the lossy 5.1 formats Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.
Metal Gear!?
FC: 0834-4314-4615

Sephiroth311
1 month ago#10
Doesn’t matter, I’m picking up a new Denon receiver over the weekend. Thanks anyway
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Possible to enable 5.1 surround using HDMI ARC?
  • Topic Archived