This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does G2A make money but Devs don't?

User Info: MuhammadJA

MuhammadJA
1 month ago#1
If that's the case, where did G2A acquire the keys in the first place? Didn't they buy them from the devs?

Can someone explain this to me?

User Info: LiquidDee

LiquidDee
1 month ago#2
1)Someone uses stolen credit cards to buy games and gets keys.
2)The money gets refunded but the thief still has the keys.
3)The thief sells his keys on G2A.
4)The thief and G2A make money but the devs don't.

User Info: MuhammadJA

MuhammadJA
1 month ago#3
So that means all keys from G2A are stolen?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#4
No, but some are. The rest tend to be keys from cheaper regions. There's not really any way to tell as far as I know
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
1 month ago#5
I know it's the hip thing to say companies would rather you pirate then buy through g2a...but it's more convenient to have a working key that lets us play online so yea....and also it's not all fraud so I'll sleep easy and not be worried about a few less coins going to the bean counters. (Barely uses grey market sites anyways)
What is freedom?

User Info: gloBal enemy

gloBal enemy
1 month ago#6
I thought one of the issues raised by devs was the wasted resources in post-sales support for customers who bought through G2A but didn’t actually contribute anything to the developers/publishers.
If you can understand this, I'm 2/cosC for you.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#7
gloBal enemy posted...
I thought one of the issues raised by devs was the wasted resources in post-sales support for customers who bought through G2A but didn’t actually contribute anything to the developers/publishers.

If it was, they immediately need to be called out on their bulls***. The ONLY time that happens is fraudulent purchases.
My warning meant nothing, you're dancing in quicksand.

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
1 month ago#8
LiquidDee posted...
1)Someone uses stolen credit cards to buy games and gets keys.
2)The money gets refunded but the thief still has the keys.
3)The thief sells his keys on G2A.
4)The thief and G2A make money but the devs don't.

Almost, but not quite.

1) Someone uses stolen credit cards to buy games and gets keys.
2) The thief sells his keys on G2A.
3) The thief and G2A make money but the devs don't.
4) The stolen purchases are charged back and since the keys were originally purchased from the devs, they're the ones that get hit with the original cost + fees.

This is why a few indie devs have said they'd rather you pirate than use G2A. It actually costs them money when they get charged back and buying from G2A, whether the specific key you purchased was stolen or not, supports the fraudulent practice. Plus, G2A just doesn't give a f*** about the fraud so they shouldn't be supported just on principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDL_P6Qdsqo
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Full Playthrough - New Eps M/W/F
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGsdFEq4plBzbmYymgziXUT9o7y3Ss18h

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#9
LazyyAmerican posted...
and also it's not all fraud so I'll sleep easy

It is fraud though.
And by purchasing from G2A, if the games are stolen, you're literally handling stolen goods, which is a crime.

Not something the law's caught up to yet, but the fact remains.

And any indie games bought with stolen cards are helping to ensure those developers have less money to make new stuff.
"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."

User Info: xKynOx

xKynOx
1 month ago#10
jebus corporate stooges are everywhere
Dreamcast 2 please
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does G2A make money but Devs don't?
  • Topic Archived