This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would like some help on my first custom pc build.

User Info: BountyAssassin

BountyAssassin
4 weeks ago#1
I'm not that great at writing or making paragraphs, so I'll try to make this short and simple. I will be trying to follow these steps I found from a discord page to help you all make it easier for you to help me.

1. Budget is $1500. I'm in the US.
2. Mainly for gaming and maybe a bit of streaming when with friends.
3. Resolution target is guaranteed 1080p and maybe 2k if possible, but I really don't care about 2k or 4k at the moment. FPS target is solid 60+ I would really prefer the games I play to maintain a solid 60+ experience with hardly any drops.
4. I also have a list of parts already from a user on discord who helped me out. I just wanted to ask for advice one more time before I began purchasing the parts.

There were some things I missed intentionally on the list because I didn't understand what it meant, didn't really seem necessary to jot down or some of those things can be discussed (Unless y'all are fine with it) in another topic. I'll post the list on my second post.
Here are the parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Z28D2

Please keep in mind that I can be a bit slow when It comes down to this pc master race stuff. This can be a little complicated for me. Then again, I guess that's the price you pay when you don't bother trying to research on pc building or part recommendations. I guess I just honestly don't know where to start maybe idk. Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if I left anything out.
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360." - Don Mattrick

BountyAssassin
4 weeks ago#2
Here's the list I used

When asking for a build or build advice, answer the following questions in your post:
What's your budget/currency and country of purchase? Any preferred physical/online shops?
Gaming? Streaming? What's your resolution/FPS targets? What games are you playing?
Not gaming or professional/hobby use cases? What are the applications you will use and workload involved? Kindly elaborate as much as possible.
What else do you need to buy? (monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, speakers, Windows, WiFi)
Anything else you want to tell us? RGB, Small Form Factor, already have a part list? Tell us!
If you have a build list and are looking for a second opinion or are upgrading an existing system, please have a PCPartPicker permalink for it (https://pcpartpicker.com/list)
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360." - Don Mattrick

BountyAssassin
4 weeks ago#3
Oohhh s***. I forgot to mention that I already have an ssd and 16 gb of ram that I purchased separately from my previous pre built.
(message deleted)

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
4 weeks ago#5
Uhh couple things

Major issues:
-That part list does not have any RAM. This is a necessary component and you can't boot your PC without it.
-No SSD. No computer in 2019 should still be booting off HDDs.

Recommendations:
-Go with Ryzen R5/R7 for twice the threads and half the security issues.
-Cheaper CPU cooler and PSU unless you really want those specific parts
-Didn't you say you needed a monitor?
i7 3820 | GTX 1070 | 16GB Samsung DDR3 | PCPC 600W

BountyAssassin
4 weeks ago#6
My bad. I just now posted that I already have the ssd and ram in my posession so I should be fine on that.

So the Ryzens are currently more efficient compared to intel this generation? Any cpu cooler recommendations and what is a PSU? I'm fine with anything tbh. As long as the fans don't sound like a f***ing jet engine taking off when playing games AND when idling or browsing the web. That was one of the major turn offs I had with my previous pre build pc.

I currently already have a monitor but I am looking for a second one for later on. I'll probably talk about that another time because I'll need to set the budget for that later

Snuckie7
4 weeks ago#7
You'll probably need to buy new RAM anyways unless you had 16GB DDR4-3000 sitting in your old PC.

Ryzen - generally cheaper for similar performance (and better for streaming). Also doesn't suffer from nearly as many security flaws as Intel does.

CPU Cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HyTPxr/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

User Info: thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare
4 weeks ago#8
New consoles are coming next and they're supposed to have Ryzen hyperthreaded 8-core. I'd wait for Ryzen 3000 series later this year and get the 12-core, otherwise you won't be happy spending this $1500-2000 in about 24 months.
If 261-politics existed in the 1950s, it's likely that at some point they would've modded the pro-desegregation and pro-interracial marriage posts as offensive

BountyAssassin
4 weeks ago#9
That's actually what I have for the RAM surprisingly so I believe I'm good in that department. Thanks for the recs.

As for the CPU, when are the Ryzen 3000 series suppose to be coming out? I don't know if I can wait. I'm a pretty impatient man. Summer hasn't even started and I'm bored out of my mind. If they're right around the corner then I could probably wait for a month maybe. Otherwise I'd probably just get the Ryzen 7 2700X.

So aside from the RAM, CPU cooler, and the PSU, is this build ready to take off?

Snuckie7
4 weeks ago#10
Don’t wait. Not worth it to lose out on months of gaming for a small CPU upgrade.

Everything else looks fine. Just make sure to swap out the motherboard for one with a B450/X370 chipset.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would like some help on my first custom pc build.
  • Topic Archived