This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can turning off a power strip while a PC is on damage the motherboard?

User Info: nativeboi85

nativeboi85
4 weeks ago#1
Accidentally while my PC was on I hit the power strip flicking it off I turned every thing back on and my PC wouldn't come back on it was just flashing a yellow light. I took it into a shop and he said it was the cmos battery but he hasn't tested the motherboard yet. Can the motherboard be damaged by that?
gofundme.com/rqsbj8 lets raise that fleek for the ultimate boss video

User Info: Griff

Griff
4 weeks ago#2
Extremely rare but yes, improperly yanking the power can damage it.
I hope it wasn't in the middle of a bios update, that would absolutely do it.
Anyhow, sorry to hear that, good luck with the repairs.

User Info: nativeboi85

nativeboi85
4 weeks ago#3
Griff posted...
Extremely rare but yes, improperly yanking the power can damage it.
I hope it wasn't in the middle of a bios update, that would absolutely do it.
Anyhow, sorry to hear that, good luck with the repairs.

Ty not during an update but I may have been playing a game or on YouTube when I accidentally got up and flicked the switch off lpl
gofundme.com/rqsbj8 lets raise that fleek for the ultimate boss video

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#4
The chance of it happening is super extremely rare unless you were already critically close to a hardware failure.

Back in the windows 98 days, turning off the power bar was pretty much the only way to turn your computer off, because Windows 98 would never shut down properly. And our computers all survived just fine.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pop-quiz-solution-why-windows-98-wont-shut-down/
For some classical examples ^^
That last one isn't a joke, 98 was so broken that it couldn't shutdown until the wav file played. And the length of the file made the shutdown take longer.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: d209999

d209999
4 weeks ago#5
I’ve personally lost RAM by having that very thing happen.
"Valve invented controllers, multiplayer, cloud saving, and Linux" - a Steam fanboy

User Info: fohstick

fohstick
4 weeks ago#6
no, especially in 2019
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can turning off a power strip while a PC is on damage the motherboard?
  • Topic Archived