This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC going to be outclassed by next-gen Consoles? Can it hope to keep up?

User Info: Nathanmg

Nathanmg
4 weeks ago#81
Another thing to consider is that when people talk about PC capabilities it's usually in terms of ultra/max settings, even considering ray tracing being included I very much doubt all of the PS5 graphical settings will be at max.

At an actual like for like comparison will happily show high end PCs outperforming it.
PSN: Nathanmg
3DS: 1006-0862-7392

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#82
yohabroha posted...
$2000+ ?

The 1080ti launched at $700, which makes 2 worth $1,400. Long way off there.

Cost != Worth
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#83
That doesn't make sense, they don't cost $1,000 each and they're not worth $1,000 each. Cost, worth, whatever you want to use there it's not $2,000. Maybe an entire system that has 2 will be over $2,000, but he specifically said "GPU alone."
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: Crenlar

Crenlar
4 weeks ago#84
Kano92 posted...
kc44135 posted...
As a lifelong Console gamer, I was considering jumping in to PC for the time with next gen, but man, PS5 sounds absolutely insane right now. Native 8K resolution at 60 FPS with raytracing, and instant load times. AFAIK, there is no PC hardware that can even do that? Rumor is that the Xbox Anaconda will be even more powerful than the PS5 will be. Asking genuinely and admittedly from a place of ignorance as a Console gamer, but will PC tech be able to keep up, let alone surpass what these Consoles are going to do next-gen?

Dude 8k will be just for videos not game related. But 4k at 60hz would be awesome. These next gen consoles are gonna be truly impressive. Yes PC can do better but it's gonna cost a lot of money, it may not be worth it in the end for some anymore.

As far as how powerful for its time, it seems like the PS 5 will be in between the Xbox 360 and the PS 4 but closer to the PS 4. A lot of people ditched pc gaming for consoles when the 360 came out but pc gaming was much more expensive back then. PC hardware is cheaper now and you dont have to upgrade nearly as often. There was a time when you could buy a top of the line cpu and it barely runs games 3 years later. Todays most demanding games can be ran on 10 year old cpu's.
fair and balanced

User Info: MasterShot2k5

MasterShot2k5
4 weeks ago#85
kc44135 posted...
As a lifelong Console gamer, I was considering jumping in to PC for the time with next gen, but man, PS5 sounds absolutely insane right now. Native 8K resolution at 60 FPS with raytracing, and instant load times. AFAIK, there is no PC hardware that can even do that? Rumor is that the Xbox Anaconda will be even more powerful than the PS5 will be. Asking genuinely and admittedly from a place of ignorance as a Console gamer, but will PC tech be able to keep up, let alone surpass what these Consoles are going to do next-gen?

Okay, guys. . . Let's get something straight. . . Consoles are just cheaper PC parts put together to make something available to the masses.

Ray-tracing is easier with RTX series, with GTX Ray tracing is difficult because of the math alone. RTX is just a new graphics card.

8K is nothing special when your graphics do not take up that much RAM, it's just a larger amount of pixels. I.E. You're getting graphics at medium or low. . . .

In short, no you're not surpassing PC, you're never going to surpass PC and I know this sexy and exciting tech makes it seem like its going to happen but. . . PC gamers already HAVE ray tracing. . . The only reason we don't have 8k is because it's not on the market yet.
I am not a meth cook, career criminal mastermind.

User Info: MasterShot2k5

MasterShot2k5
4 weeks ago#86
Nathanmg posted...
Another thing to consider is that when people talk about PC capabilities it's usually in terms of ultra/max settings, even considering ray tracing being included I very much doubt all of the PS5 graphical settings will be at max.

At an actual like for like comparison will happily show high end PCs outperforming it.

Ps5 will never hit max, consoles are just cheaper PCs without a complex OS at the end of the day and most actions in user space are limited.
I am not a meth cook, career criminal mastermind.

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
4 weeks ago#87
MasterShot2k5 posted...
Nathanmg posted...

Ps5 will never hit max, consoles are just cheaper PCs without a complex OS at the end of the day and most actions in user space are limited.

Depends on the game. With a diablo like game the ps5 should easily hit max. With cyberpunk 2077, probably not. Also, I'm expecting at least two versions of the console. A weaker cheaper lite version and a more expensive pro version.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
4 weeks ago#88
I don't think you're as genuine as you say you are.

The stone-cold fact is this. The only thing you've ever been able to pop out of a console and replace with something better is a hard drive. The performance parts have always been completely static, and consoles will always fall behind (or come out of the gate fallen behind, cough PS4/Xbone) sooner or later because you can generally just remove something from a PC and replace it when it's time for something better.

In any case, enjoy paying a subscription to access content you already paid for.

User Info: JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991
4 weeks ago#89
A lot of people with old quadcore i5, 2c/4t i3, and the FX cpu are going to be in for a rude awakening with the cpu being 3rd gen ryzen 8 core, possibly 16 thread

I can't help but feel I made a mistake in getting the ryzen 1700, 1st gen ryzen topped out at 4ghz at the very top end, on stock cooler I could get it to 3.7 stable without it boiling over, it being 300mhz less than the top end wasn't the end of the world, but with 3rd gen being an ipc jump ALONG with being pretty highly clocked I'm not as sure on this cpu's longevity as I once was considering the ps5's specs. Unsure how much ram the consoles will have, ddr4 isn't too badly priced. Probably will need a gpu upgrade, still rocking the rx 480 8gb although I'm on 1080p

idk, even if I needed a 3rd gen ryzen drop-in upgrade and a gtx 1080 tier gpu, by the 2020 ps5 launch those will be found cheap, and would still be worth it purely for pc gaming being muuuuch cheaper and no online fee vs console gaming.
Ryzen 1700 8c/16t slight OC 3.2ghz, RX 480 8gb, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz, am4 pro4 mobo, 250gb samsung 840 ssd for os, ~4tb 7200rpm hdd storage

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
4 weeks ago#90
@JrTapia1991, a Ryzen 3000 series cpu should drop into your motherboard with a bios upgrade, though you might need to check (read MSI might not be allowing this and wanting persons to buy a new motherboard). Ryzen 3000 with Navi should be a nice upgrade :)
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC going to be outclassed by next-gen Consoles? Can it hope to keep up?
  • Topic Archived