This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC going to be outclassed by next-gen Consoles? Can it hope to keep up?

User Info: kc44135

kc44135
4 weeks ago#1
As a lifelong Console gamer, I was considering jumping in to PC for the time with next gen, but man, PS5 sounds absolutely insane right now. Native 8K resolution at 60 FPS with raytracing, and instant load times. AFAIK, there is no PC hardware that can even do that? Rumor is that the Xbox Anaconda will be even more powerful than the PS5 will be. Asking genuinely and admittedly from a place of ignorance as a Console gamer, but will PC tech be able to keep up, let alone surpass what these Consoles are going to do next-gen?

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
4 weeks ago#2
just because it can support 8k doesnt mean it will, the gtx 1050 2gb card has a max resolution of 7680x4320@60Hz, now how well do you think that card would play games at that resolution and its also capable of ray tracing now. load times are because of the ssd which you are able to put in current gen consoles and has been considered a must for pc gaming for at least the last 8 years. know that console hardware is outdated before its even released.

User Info: LiquidDee

LiquidDee
4 weeks ago#3
kc44135 posted...
PS5 sounds absolutely insane right now. Native 8K resolution at 60 FPS with raytracing, and instant load times.

Lol good luck with that. Games will run at 4k 30 fps with very few exceptions. The fact that it supports 8k doesn't mean that any game will run at 8k. They had to mention it because of google stadia.

Then a few years later they will release the ps5 pro that will run most games at 4k 60fps and a couple of games at 8k.

But no ps5 will not outclass pcs and with google stadia you might not even need a good pc to run games anyway.

User Info: Digivillain

Digivillain
4 weeks ago#4
No, My PC is still more capable than the PS5 will be.
Either way, I'll still be getting a PS5 though...
Murder-Death-Kill

User Info: WheatPasta

WheatPasta
4 weeks ago#5
kc44135 posted...
As a lifelong Console gamer, I was considering jumping in to PC for the time with next gen, but man, PS5 sounds absolutely insane right now.
As a prior console only gamer for longer then switching to being a PC only gamer hopefully I can bring up some points that will help making the jump to PC more considerable.

The PS5 will not release until 2020.
PCs are already more advanced in terms of hardware when compared to consoles now. Things will only get better as time continues into 2020 and beyond. On top of this when things do get better instead of buying an entire new console of which might be another half step when Sony allows you to you can just buy a single part, swap it in, and enjoy what it offers when ever you want.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X did not live up to everything a lot of people thought it would be.
These consoles do not offer a standard. Some games are low frame rate, some are kind of sort of not really 4K, and the rest are a mash of the in between. The PS5 might be no different, but this time the kind of sort of not really is 8K.

Consoles are still locked down PCs
Possible power aside consoles still offer an over all more poor game experience. The lack of selection in types of and thus games in general, mods, customization, and usability overall.

Not to mention more backwards compatibility both just from being a PC and emulation, things like PS Now allowing you to play PlayStation games, cheaper game prices, and the ability to use any controller or other accessory you'd like.
i7-4790K/Zotac 6GB 1060 AMP

User Info: CraiCrushna

CraiCrushna
4 weeks ago#6
The PS5 is only going to be as good as an I7. They are 1 Gen behind and it's not even out yet. So no, the next gen will not be doing anything.

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 weeks ago#7
As the past few generations have shown, the new consoles will be mid-high range PC hardware. They certainly won't have the BEST hardware PCs have available, thus they won't be capable of what the BEST PCs are capable of.

It will be the same as the last few generations. Nothing for PC gaming will change.

All of these spec talks for the PS5 are "up to". It's not going to do all of that at once. You're not getting 8K ray-tracing graphics at 60fps. It will be capable of 8K, meaning you could probably run the home screen at 8K and stream certain videos at 8K assuming your internet connection is fast enough.

Gaming will likely be 1080p with ray-tracing MAYBE 60fps, but I have my doubts. If we're lucky, they'll allow us to toggle some things off. So you'll choose what you want, 4K@30fps no ray-tracing. 1080p@60fps no ray tracing. 1080p@30fps with ray tracing. That would be my guess. Some indie titles with very little in the way of graphics, or maybe some older games remastered could be 8K. But I doubt 8K will come into play much if at all.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#8
kc44135 posted...
AFAIK, there is no PC hardware that can even do that?

Which means there's no console hardware that can do that either...
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#9
wildog2006 posted...
kc44135 posted...
AFAIK, there is no PC hardware that can even do that?

Which means there's no console hardware that can do that either...

This. TC is riding the hype train.
R7 1800X| 570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750| My PC https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Best of Rud3Bwoy-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#10
Main problem for PC owners is most will be forced to upgrade both their GPUs and CPUs (which also usually includes RAM and mobo upgrade), because even a low clocked 8C/8T Ryzen will be brutal for PC requirements.
Whereas this generation, due to the very slow console CPUs, even 2009 PCs could compete favorably by just upgrading the graphics card.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC going to be outclassed by next-gen Consoles? Can it hope to keep up?
  • Topic Archived