This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can anybody play Youtube 8K 60p without your CPU going full meltdown?

User Info: castrejon04

castrejon04
4 weeks ago#21
lightningbugx posted...
castrejon04 posted...

That still doesn't explain the high CPU usage though, when the video buffers it just stops completely. When it's the CPU, the frame drops and stutters a lot.

What is the reported clock speed when the usage is high?

4200Mhz, 3400Mhz on idle.
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa

User Info: QuestofChosen

QuestofChosen
4 weeks ago#22
castrejon04 posted...
QuestofChosen posted...
I have a 3570k @ 4.2ghz. I haven't experienced any issues with 4k 60 fps videos. I haven't tried any 8k videos though.

What? What browser and Windows version are you using?

I must have something setup wrong. What's your CPU usage at 4K 60p YouTube videos?

I'm using Chrome and Windows 10. CPU usage was in the 20% to 30% range. I also tried 8K 60fps video and the cpu usage was 30% to 40%. You have something wrong.

Although wouldn't your gpu also play a role? I have a rtx 2070.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#23
I have wh acceleration disabled in firefox for reasons
made my 4690k chug and the video was stop and go the whole time, totally unwatchable.

Plays fine even on a GT1030, though. A bigger issue is Youtube on Firefox randomly freezing the video sometimes(just the image, sound continues to play) which is a problem at any resolution.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: KrankyKat

KrankyKat
4 weeks ago#24
DarkZV2Beta posted...
A bigger issue is Youtube on Firefox randomly freezing the video sometimes(just the image, sound continues to play) which is a problem at any resolution

I don't have this problem, using Firefox? Even on my older Win7 rig (which can't run YT 8k, mind, just saying Firefox doesn't give any video image freezing issues as a rule, for me)

GPU seems to play a fairly large role, although when I tried turning off hardware acceleration on my rig while playing the "8k" YT videos, it seemed to make little difference in memory clock/overall utilization and vram use etc. Only thing that did was turning the video setting to a lower one (8k vs 4k vs 1440 etc).

Using Win10. It's possible Win7 (or even older, if anyone is still using them) would have an effect as well? Or if anyone is still using Flash player for YT (is that still an option?) and not html5 to view them. Or who knows, I have no true clue. *slinks away*...
Nvidia Ansel is fun - https://ffxv.crimsonkeep.com/blog/
9900k|2080ti-ftw3|32ddr4-3200|970 Pro SSD - Diablo1 runs fantastic

castrejon04
4 weeks ago#25
QuestofChosen posted...
castrejon04 posted...
QuestofChosen posted...
I have a 3570k @ 4.2ghz. I haven't experienced any issues with 4k 60 fps videos. I haven't tried any 8k videos though.

What? What browser and Windows version are you using?

I must have something setup wrong. What's your CPU usage at 4K 60p YouTube videos?

I'm using Chrome and Windows 10. CPU usage was in the 20% to 30% range. I also tried 8K 60fps video and the cpu usage was 30% to 40%. You have something wrong.

Although wouldn't your gpu also play a role? I have a rtx 2070.

I have my new RX 580 that I just got. Plenty of GPU power there. Yes from other posters, it seems that the GPU does most of the load.

I have Chrome and Windows 7, maybe YouTube runs better on Windows 10?

I'll have to check my Chrome settings and plugins and see what's up, and my graphics card settings as well.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#26
KrankyKat posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
A bigger issue is Youtube on Firefox randomly freezing the video sometimes(just the image, sound continues to play) which is a problem at any resolution

I don't have this problem, using Firefox? Even on my older Win7 rig (which can't run YT 8k, mind, just saying Firefox doesn't give any video image freezing issues as a rule, for me)

GPU seems to play a fairly large role, although when I tried turning off hardware acceleration on my rig while playing the "8k" YT videos, it seemed to make little difference in memory clock/overall utilization and vram use etc. Only thing that did was turning the video setting to a lower one (8k vs 4k vs 1440 etc).

Using Win10. It's possible Win7 (or even older, if anyone is still using them) would have an effect as well? Or if anyone is still using Flash player for YT (is that still an option?) and not html5 to view them. Or who knows, I have no true clue. *slinks away*...

It's not super frequent or anything, but especially when mousing over the video, the video player sometimes freezes for a bit. It's been happening for a year or so. It might be flash? I don't know if I ever changed it?
but anything requiring flash needs you to update flash every few months so that's probably not it. Just another weird Firefox problem, I guess.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

castrejon04
4 weeks ago#27
So this is what I'm getting. CPU load at 95-100%, GPU load 0%. Something is simply wrong here.

https://imgur.com/Uy4zZV0

KrankyKat
4 weeks ago#28
castrejon04 posted...
So this is what I'm getting. CPU load at 95-100%, GPU load 0%. Something is simply wrong here.

If gpu load is zero and the video is actually playing (not image-frozen/only audio) then yeah, something's not right.

On my old i7-920/980ti and win7, during those 5-10 second interludes where 4k video is actually running (it starts and stops fitfully, only 1440 runs well on that pc :P ), gpu usage might be 30-60%, while CPU is 75-100% etc.

Not sure what it would be tho. Win10 may indeed run YT better at this point but gpu shouldn't be at zero etc.

castrejon04
4 weeks ago#29
KrankyKat posted...
castrejon04 posted...

If gpu load is zero and the video is actually playing (not image-frozen/only audio) then yeah, something's not right.

On my old i7-920/980ti and win7, during those 5-10 second interludes where 4k video is actually running (it starts and stops fitfully, only 1440 runs well on that pc :P ), gpu usage might be 30-60%, while CPU is 75-100% etc.

Not sure what it would be tho. Win10 may indeed run YT better at this point but gpu shouldn't be at zero etc.

Yeah it figures it might be the case with Windows 10 handling youtube differently. I couldn't find anything that would enable GPU acceleration.

KrankyKat
4 weeks ago#30
castrejon04 posted...
I couldn't find anything that would enable GPU acceleration.

In Firefox there's an easy to find checkbox for it.

Last I knew Chrome it was under Settings/Advanced but I don't know if that's still up to date.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can anybody play Youtube 8K 60p without your CPU going full meltdown?
  • Topic Archived