This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Laptop won't charge... not sure what to do

User Info: Merc009

Merc009
1 month ago#1
I got a used GTX 1070 Laptop off amazon warehouse deals, its an MSI GE63 for $600 which is a dam steal considering they run for about $1500 used and $1700 new.

The laptop description read

“Used-Acceptable-Major Cosmetic Damages”

The laptop is physically in excellent condition, it didn’t even have dust. However there is a major problem.... it won’t work without the power cord plugged in.

When I got the laptop the battery read

“0% Available, Charging”

and it never charged after 6 hours. I Updated the Bios and the EC, unplugged the battery and restarted the computer again, this time it charged to 11%, then I disconnected it from the power adapter, and then connected it again and now its stuck at 11% , (basically wont charge) for the past 2 days.

Another thing I tried was to leave it charging for 2 hours while the laptop was off, when i turned on the laptop it was still at 11% so Im guessing its not a power adapter problem. Also the laptop works perfectly fine while plugged in, I played a bunch of games for hours and it didn’t even get hot, it still reads battery at 11% however.

I got a replacement battery , swapped it, then the laptop worked fine unplugged for about 2 minutes then it just shut down, I turned it on again and it turned off after 10 seconds, basically it won’t last on battery power longer than 30 seconds. During this entire process the new battery went from 100% to 98% charge.

At this point im assuming something is wrong with the motherboard, any suggestions? If you read this far thanks btw lol!

User Info: eddy1nsane

eddy1nsane
4 weeks ago#2
Return it.
The charger can't detect the peak voltage properly, it can overcharge your Li-On battery and caught fire.
God created the world, everything else are made in China

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#3
Did they send you the wrong charger?
R7 1800X| 570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750| My PC https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Best of Rud3Bwoy-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

Merc009
4 weeks ago#4
eddy1nsane posted...
Return it.
The charger can't detect the peak voltage properly, it can overcharge your Li-On battery and caught fire.

But the battery isn’t even charging at all ...

Merc009
4 weeks ago#5
32x2z posted...
Did they send you the wrong charger?

I did some research and its the same adapter

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#6
It sounds like the battery is shot honestly. I doubt it's the charger, but you can check the voltage using a multimeter fairly easy. The expected voltage should listed on the AC adapter. As long at it reads near the expected, it's probably fine. Also, given that you can game on the charger and it has no issues, I seriously doubt it's the problem.

IMO: Reach out to MSI and see about buying a replacement battery. I'd avoid any Amazon 3rd party sellers, their quality is usually poor. (Work tried to cheap out that way, and none of the cheap s*** the bought lasted more than 3 months)

edit: Missed the bit at the end of your post. I'd RMA the battery first. If it's a cheapo, assume it's garbage. Also, check the battery connectors on the mobo for corrosion. Failing that, yeah, the mobo may be shot.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

Merc009
4 weeks ago#7
Foxfire15 posted...
It sounds like the battery is shot honestly. I doubt it's the charger, but you can check the voltage using a multimeter fairly easy. The expected voltage should listed on the AC adapter. As long at it reads near the expected, it's probably fine. Also, given that you can game on the charger and it has no issues, I seriously doubt it's the problem.

IMO: Reach out to MSI and see about buying a replacement battery. I'd avoid any Amazon 3rd party sellers, their quality is usually poor. (Work tried to cheap out that way, and none of the cheap s*** the bought lasted more than 3 months)

edit: Missed the bit at the end of your post. I'd RMA the battery first. If it's a cheapo, assume it's garbage. Also, check the battery connectors on the mobo for corrosion. Failing that, yeah, the mobo may be shot.

When I installed the “3rd party” battery I ran a windows battery report, it said that the manufacturer was MSI just as the OEM battery does, I guess I’ll give it a shot and try another battery, if that doesn’t work than the mobo is the problem.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#8
I mean, can you still use the laptop and game without the battery? It's still a good PC even without the battery.
R7 1800X| 570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750| My PC https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Best of Rud3Bwoy-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

User Info: anubisbahamut

anubisbahamut
4 weeks ago#9
32x2z posted...
I mean, can you still use the laptop and game without the battery? It's still a good PC even without the battery.
PSN=EbahamutE YT=AnubisBahamut PC=7700k\1080ti
I love fighting games

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 weeks ago#10
anubisbahamut posted...
32x2z posted...
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Laptop won't charge... not sure what to do
  • Topic Archived