This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Were Consoles EVER Ahead Of PC?

User Info: sleepercell99

sleepercell99
1 month ago#1
was there ever a point in time when consoles were ahead of what could be done on PC, or have consoles always been obsolete on release?

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe console graphics were ahead of PC on three separate occasions: the NES, the Dreamcast and the Xbox 360 (questionable). when those consoles first came out they were ahead of what PC's could do at the time

User Info: DeatHMediC731

DeatHMediC731
1 month ago#2
No. Even arcades were more powerful at the time of the NES. PC had dreamcast quality graphics during like N64 era. Xbox 360 was slightly below PC at the time of release and they sold that at a loss. So yea they have always been obsolete. Xbox one X was obsolete the moment it released and so was ps4 pro.

User Info: guvadc

guvadc
1 month ago#3
sleepercell99 posted...
was there ever a point in time when consoles were ahead of what could be done on PC, or have consoles always been obsolete on release?

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe console graphics were ahead of PC on three separate occasions: the NES, the Dreamcast and the Xbox 360 (questionable). when those consoles first came out they were ahead of what PC's could do at the time

I wouldn't compare the NES era simply because there different types of games being created on each, at least in the US that is. Im pretty sure the power of the PC's were ahead of the NES , but IMO it was an apples to oranges comparison.

For the Dreamcast, I'm pretty sure that the higher end video cards of the day were more powerful than what the Dreamcast could do . I had some Voodoo fx card and in my pc at the same time of having a Dreamcast ( had at launch ) and seem to remember games like Half Life on PC being more impressive. I'd also like to point out that there was some disappointment with certain Arcade ports on the Dreamcast such as Virtua Fighter 3 and Sega Rally 2. I had high hopes for Sega Rally 2 , but were way more impressed with games like Mobile 1 rally on pc.

For the Xbox360, I think this was the only time when the Console was ahead of the PC. I might be wrong but I do not think there was a card available on the PC that could match the power of the 360 when it first launched. There were eventually cards release that could, but not initially.

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
1 month ago#4
If you mean power... No, never.

In the Nes era, PCs couldn't run some games the Nes could, like Mario. But this was mostly due to the lack of a good engine (in Mario's case, a engine that supported fast scrolling). Plus, many games used basic sounds, due to the fact that most PCs still had simplistic sound cards. But still, PCs were A LOT more powerful than consoles.

In the Dreamcast era, most PCs were already WAY more powerful than PCs, and could run games at higher resolutions (DC ran at 640x480, while PCs already supported resolutions like 1024x768). At that time, however, many companies were avoiding PCs, and thus PCs didn't have many games that stand out. Remember: the same year the DC was released, Unreal was released on PC, with graphics that were unheard of at the time.

I'm not sure about the 360 era. The console was damn powerful, but I think high-end PCs could already stomp on it. I remember playing NFS: Most Wanted on PC at the time and then playing it on my friend's X360 and end up disappointed by the 360 version (lower resolution, after all).

One could argue that PCs were behind consoles for years in games QUALITY, but even that can be disagreed on.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
-George R.R. Martin

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 month ago#5
In terms of power, probably never. In terms of technical achievements in the software, yes.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: sleepercell99

sleepercell99
1 month ago#6
guvadc posted...
sleepercell99 posted...

I wouldn't compare the NES era simply because there different types of games being created on each, at least in the US that is. Im pretty sure the power of the PC's were ahead of the NES , but IMO it was an apples to oranges comparison.

For the Dreamcast, I'm pretty sure that the higher end video cards of the day were more powerful than what the Dreamcast could do . I had some Voodoo fx card and in my pc at the same time of having a Dreamcast ( had at launch ) and seem to remember games like Half Life on PC being more impressive. I'd also like to point out that there was some disappointment with certain Arcade ports on the Dreamcast such as Virtua Fighter 3 and Sega Rally 2. I had high hopes for Sega Rally 2 , but were way more impressed with games like Mobile 1 rally on pc.

For the Xbox360, I think this was the only time when the Console was ahead of the PC. I might be wrong but I do not think there was a card available on the PC that could match the power of the 360 when it first launched. There were eventually cards release that could, but not initially.

Shenmue was definitely ahead of what PC's could do in 1999. Digital Foundry even made a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0blSBgpRUg&list=WL&index=53&t=0s

the character models in Shenmue alone put the Voodoo FX card to shame

MarceloSampaio
1 month ago#7
sleepercell99 posted...
guvadc posted...
sleepercell99 posted...

Shenmue was definitely ahead of what PC's could do in 1999. Digital Foundry even made a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0blSBgpRUg&list=WL&index=53&t=0s

the character models in Shenmue alone put the Voodoo FX card to shame

I think this may be more of a case of...
Fony posted...
technical achievements in the software

Unreal had WAY better graphics than Shenmue, specially in textures, resolution and stuff like transparencies and lightning effects. But of course Shenmue impressed with it's character models (specially the faces), while showing simplistic backgrounds with a bunch of blurry textures here and there.

I believe this was more due to companies creating tools for console games and not bothering with PC gaming all that much.

At the time, like I said, companies didn't care much about PC gaming due to piracy and lower sales, so they didn't bother investing in tools and engines specifically for PC games, since console games sold A LOT more.

Remember: while the Dreamcast's CPU was clocked at about 200MHz, PCs at the time could already have CPUs clocked at 450 MHz or more.

It was more like lack of "giving a damn" from the game companies.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
-George R.R. Martin

MarceloSampaio
1 month ago#8
Just remember again that we are talking about pure power here.

Even the most avid PC fanboy accepts that, around the beginning PS2 and DC era, PCs were being left behind in software quality. When it did get, AAA games it was something like a lazy port of the PS2 version of RE4, or something that couldn't work comfortably on consoles, like Starcraft.
-George R.R. Martin

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
1 month ago#9
MarceloSampaio posted...
PCs were being left behind in software quality.

this never happened and my sig is pretty good evidence of this.
i mean the fact that ps2 was released in 2000 which was the same year that diablo 2, deus ex and baldurs gate 2 were released pretty much destroys the argument.

the main difference is that console libraries were actually all worthwhile and each offered unique experiences on their own alongside PC which also had online play.

however, at no point in time was PC ever left behind in software quality.
http://abload.de/img/pcgamingxtuvt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: The_Man_On_Fire

The_Man_On_Fire
1 month ago#10
I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw
XBOX ONE Still Number ONE and it's not smart to be dumb.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aj4VuXIm9mqSgzQnQ2u-5NKBHKZJ
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Were Consoles EVER Ahead Of PC?
  • Topic Archived