This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is G-Sync or a 144hz monitor really worth it?

User Info: HogSplash

HogSplash
1 month ago#1
I recently bought a pc and I bought with it a monitor that does not have G-Sync and only runs at 60-70hz. The monitor is nice an all but I can't help but feel like I'm not getting the most out my pc with a low refresh rate and I'm considering just buying a new monitor, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it to spend more for the G-sync capabilities. It's basically only going to be used for surfing the net and video games.I have had some issues with screen tearing but nothing that turning on vsync can't fix and my monitors freesync doesnt seem to be compatible with my setup.

I currently have an i7 8700K, 16GB ram and an RTX 2080. The monitor I have now is an HP Pavillion 32q. I haven't really touched a pc in 15 years so I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything that has changed since then.
Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

User Info: Lucavi000

Lucavi000
1 month ago#2
a 1080p 144hz gsync or gsync compatible monitor is a pretty huge step up in quality over a regular 60hz monitor IMO

there are some really good freesync (gsync compatible) monitors out there that wont break the bank like a true gsync monitor will

You can get a 27" asus 1080p 144hz freesync for around 299.99 on amazon or maybe cheaper.
"Doesn't matter, still obtainable. You were wrong, simply admit it and apologize for your ignorance and s*** attitude." - Firemage7777 to SuperZay

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
1 month ago#3
You're probably gonna get mixed answers.

To me, G-Sync is awesome. I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor. I also have a 980 ti. So some games I'm well above 100fps and some games hover around 60 fps and can drop lower. What I've found is anything above about 40 fps is smooth. Even when a game dips down to 45 fps, it's still smooth. You never really notice when the game changes frame rates. And anything over is 100 or so is just awesome and buttery smooth.

And on another note, just the way the mouse moves on a 144hz monitor in general is so much better.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#4
I'm pretty sensitive to drops under 60fps. I recently bought a "Gsync compatible" monitor, 144hz, Freesync range 30-144hz, 1440p.

I'm not really impressed. I went from a 21.5" 60hz 1080p monitor to this 24" screen. It doesn't look that much crisper than what I had. Even though I can see the difference between 60 and 144hz, it's not such a big leap that 60fps looks like crap. 60fps is still really smooth. However, I still highly notice drops below 60fps even though Gsync is on and functioning correctly. Drops just into the 50s are still very noticeable to me and still just as annoying.

I never really experienced input latency, even with regular Vsync enabled. So I don't have any input on that area.

So, I think it just depends on you.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: ParadiseRegaind

ParadiseRegaind
1 month ago#5
I went from a 60hz monitor to a FreeSync 144hz monitor and can't believe what a difference it made. No screen tearing, no limited framerate... just a smooth and fast experience. Once you try one, it will be hard to go back.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#6
I found even just 120hz period pretty game changing back in the day. If you play faster paced games, it's pretty amazing the difference it makes.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: HogSplash

HogSplash
1 month ago#7
Would ya'll say that the refresh rate is more important than the Gsync if I can find a compatible freesync monitor? Or even the refresh rate over any "sync" if it comes down to it?
Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
1 month ago#8
I would definitely go for higher refresh rate before any sync. There are good FreeSync monitors that are compatible with Nvidia now, so you can look there. And there's always more being added to the list or that just seem to work.

I got G-Sync just because I have Nvidia and will probably always have Nvidia. I got burned by AMD enough long enough ago it probably doesn't matter anymore, but I'm still jaded so my opinion on them is rather biased. That aside though, I do honestly believe G-Sync is better technology.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say

User Info: thanthen

thanthen
1 month ago#9
G-Sync or peasantville. 144hz only matters if you play old games or set low settings in games like a dirty potato peasant, otherwise you never reach 144hz let alone stay there.
I'm addicted to wiggling my fingers really really fast, video games are just a cover.
http://tinyurl.com/seriko https://tinyurl.com/ycbnytc9

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#10
HogSplash posted...
Would ya'll say that the refresh rate is more important than the Gsync if I can find a compatible freesync monitor? Or even the refresh rate over any "sync" if it comes down to it?

It really depends. If you play older games where you can maintain a stably high framerate, adaptive sync isn't really needed. There are other, less precise/less adaptive methods you can use.
Otherwise, though, adaptive sync is what's going to keep it smooth at framerates that aren't exactly your display's refreshrate, but freesync should work with anything so get that I guess.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is G-Sync or a 144hz monitor really worth it?
  • Topic Archived