This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Low FPS on laptop to external monitor

User Info: lmac21

lmac21
1 month ago#21
wildog2006 posted...
Try turning off vsync or turning down the graphics settings. That monitor has a 75hz refresh rate. Sounds like it's halving your FPS since it can't hit 75 fps with your 1050. Especially since it's at 85% usage at 60 fps. If that's not the problem, then it might be thermally throttling. What temp is your GPU getting to?

I’m fairly certain the monitor is 60hz, at least according to data on the monitor and through my computer. Would there be a way to limit the refresh rate?
GT: C88 WoundCowboy

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#22
To limit the refreshrate, go into the screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor > refresh rate, and set it to 60.
As for being attached to your IGP, If you have another port, try another port. The issue is, afaik, a bandwidth issue with rendering the game on the GPU, sending the frame back over PCIE to the other GPU, and then drawing that to the monitor. There's always a performance hit to drawing on a secondary GPU without something like SLI, so if that's what it is, there's really not much you can do. It's also in-line with the whole as soon as the window appears on the secondary display.
One thing to try is set the external display as the primary monitor(screen resolution > select the external display > check the box that say "make this my primary display") and see if you can force it to use your 1050Ti with the external as your primary display. It may be that the GPU is selecting the primary display as it's primary output, and the secondary displays are left to the IGP.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: onionring

onionring
1 month ago#23
I had this issue and had to turn off my laptops display for FPS to go back up. I guess it struggles duplicating for whatever reason.

User Info: N3xtG3nGam3r

N3xtG3nGam3r
1 month ago#24
onionring posted...
I had this issue and had to turn off my laptops display for FPS to go back up. I guess it struggles duplicating for whatever reason.

Uhh...the reason would be because you’re rendering twice as much....
ASUS B-150 Gaming MoBo| Intel CORE i5 6500k @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR4 | 2TB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5-X

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 month ago#25
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
onionring posted...

Uhh...the reason would be because you’re rendering twice as much....

Yeah...not quite. Duplicating screens (which is dumb most of the time) isn't really rendering the image twice. It's just sending it out on 2 outputs. Overhead for this is quite low. However, those outputs are forced to be identical, so if one has lower specs than the other, that's what you get for output to both.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Low FPS on laptop to external monitor
  • Topic Archived