This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Low FPS on laptop to external monitor

User Info: lmac21

lmac21
1 month ago#1
Here is my laptop:

HP - OMEN by HP 15.6" Laptop-Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 1TB HDD + 128GB Solid State Drive - HP sandblasted hairline brushing and carbon fiber

When I am playing Dead By Daylight on my laptop’s monitor, I get a smooth 60 fps at 1080p. When I try to connect to my external Asus, however, the FPS drops to around 40 and the gameplay is very choppy and rough. Things I have tried:

* setting my preference to maximum performance
* turning off nvidia overlay
* setting my default graphics display to always be the high performance nvidia card
* outputting picture only to the monitor (my laptop displays nothing).
*ensuring my laptop and monitor are set at 1080p

I am really stumped and annoyed because if i want to play smoothly, I have to use the small laptop screen. I would greatly appreciate any help.
GT: C88 WoundCowboy

User Info: coldblooded88

coldblooded88
1 month ago#2
I had a problem similar to yours when I connected my pc to my tv. It was an issue with the refresh rate the pc was outputting to the tv. Make sure that your laptop is outputting at least 60 hertz.
"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

User Info: ignivim

ignivim
1 month ago#3
Open task manager and check which GPU is being used.

User Info: XDummyX

XDummyX
1 month ago#4
Try something easy to push at very high fps to check what kind of fps your port is capable of outputting in a best case scenario. Also what are you using, displayport?

lmac21
1 month ago#5
XDummyX posted...
Try something easy to push at very high fps to check what kind of fps your port is capable of outputting in a best case scenario. Also what are you using, displayport?

I don’t know what that is.

lmac21
1 month ago#6
ignivim posted...
Open task manager and check which GPU is being used.

It’s definitely my nvidia- 85%

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#7
So, when its duplicated, hows the performance?

Tried a different screen? Cable?
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: XDummyX

XDummyX
1 month ago#8
lmac21 posted...
XDummyX posted...

I don’t know what that is.

Try this:

https://www.testufo.com/

Also displayport is a type of connector like hdmi. Some ports will only put out like a max of 30/60fps etc, you can usually find this info on the manufacturer's site spec list somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/5B5tqKx.png

lmac21
1 month ago#9
Unsugarized_Foo posted...
So, when its duplicated, hows the performance?

Tried a different screen? Cable?

Yea, cables and monitors made no difference.

Something weird: when i try to adjust the resolution from nvidia control panel, it doesn’t let me select 1080p as an option. My laptop displays 1080p from its own screen but will not let me output that to the monitor. It instead gives me some seemingly off-numbered resolutions like 1680x1050 (not 480, 720, or 1080p). My monitor definitely supports 1080p

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#10
How old is it? I know I had an old one years back that supported 1080p, but the panel was 1050.

And did you duplicate the screens? Maybe you answered that and Im dense, but that'll at least let us narrow everything down to the HDMI port
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Low FPS on laptop to external monitor
  • Topic Archived