This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Former Valve Employee: Steam was Killing PC Gaming, Epic Games is Saving It

User Info: d209999

d209999
1 month ago#91
Voidgolem posted...
who else does as much as they do on the PC front as they do?

Valve doesn't do anything on the PC front anymore. They don't curate their store, they don't develop games, they just count the money roll in from their loyal flock. Those who think Valve deserves more money than the people actually making the f***ing games.

Voidgolem posted...
Epic's storefront is also dogs*** in comparison.

If Steam were 85/15, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Voidgolem posted...
By your own logic they should be.

You're one to talk about logic
http://folding.stanford.edu
Fight disease using your computer

d209999
1 month ago#92
Voidgolem posted...
That Epic says they spent 5% on a single dev to put up a bootstrap project with less than the barest minimum of features expected of stores in 2019 is not exactly a resoundingly sound argument.

They were talking about Fortnite, btw

https://www.mcvuk.com/new-epic-games-store-takes-on-steam-with-just-12-revenue-share-tim-sweeney-answers-our-questions/
"Valve invented controllers, multiplayer, cloud saving, and Linux" - a Valve fanboy

User Info: Zellio2014

Zellio2014
1 month ago#93
d209999 posted...
Voidgolem posted...
who else does as much as they do on the PC front as they do?

Valve doesn't do anything on the PC front anymore. They don't curate their store, they don't develop games, they just count the money roll in from their loyal flock. Those who think Valve deserves more money than the people actually making the f***ing games.

Voidgolem posted...
Epic's storefront is also dogs*** in comparison.

Voidgolem posted...
By your own logic they should be.

He's the only one with logic here. You are just whining. If Steam was 85/15, Epic would be buying up EVEN MORE games! You think Epic is trying to be your friend? Epic is playing dirty to force people to use their service, they wouldn't just give up if Valve decided to lower their payment
8700k/32gb ddr4 3200/1tb NVME m.2/EVGA 2080ti/LG 55c6p 4k OLED/Alienware 25 240hz/Logitech z906 5.1/Thermaltake Tower 900/Dual Custom Loop water cooling/RGB all

d209999
1 month ago#94
Zellio2014 posted...
If Steam was 85/15, Epic would be buying up EVEN MORE games! You think Epic is trying to be your friend? Epic is playing dirty to force people to use their service, they wouldn't just give up if Valve decided to lower their payment

If Steam were 85/15, devs would get more money. They'd have a better chance of recouping their costs and paying their staff with less overhead expense going to a payment processor. I contend that more devs would stay put, rather than leave to chase Epic's deal.
"Valve invented controllers, multiplayer, cloud saving, and Linux" - a Valve fanboy

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
1 month ago#95
d209999 posted...

Valve doesn't do anything on the PC front anymore

objectively incorrect.

d209999 posted...
Those who think Valve deserves more money than the people actually making the f***ing games.

I must've missed where 30% > 70%. Then again, I -didn't- fail basic mathematics. Neat how that pans out.

d209999 posted...

Yes, we would, because you want to troll for the Epic Game Store despite the Epic Game Store being an objectively worse platform on all fronts aside from throwing millions at publishers up front.

d209999 posted...

"They made the console so they deserve 30% of all profits on that console! This doesn't apply to PCs because DURR!"
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

Voidgolem
1 month ago#96
d209999 posted...

If Steam were 85/15, devs would get more money.

*publishers

indie devs who self publish are an exception. Most of whom are not being exclusivity-dealed aside from some of the higher profile Kickstarter titles who were already completely funded. Most of them are also garbage.

Voidgolem
1 month ago#97
d209999 posted...
Voidgolem posted...
That Epic says they spent 5% on a single dev to put up a bootstrap project with less than the barest minimum of features expected of stores in 2019 is not exactly a resoundingly sound argument.

They were talking about Fortnite, btw

https://www.mcvuk.com/new-epic-games-store-takes-on-steam-with-just-12-revenue-share-tim-sweeney-answers-our-questions/

“Fixed costs of developing and supporting the platform become negligible at a large scale. In our analysis, stores charging 30 per cent are marking up their costs by 300 to 400 per cent," he reveals. "But with developers receiving 88 per cent of revenue and Epic receiving 12 per cent, this store will still be a profitable business for us,” he explains.

"per our analysis from running a single in-game storefront using Vbux instead of actual currencies, stores are marking up their costs by a number we pulled directly from our ass".

'kay.

d209999
1 month ago#98
Voidgolem posted...
d209999 posted...

*publishers

indie devs who self publish are an exception. Most of whom are not being exclusivity-dealed aside from some of the higher profile Kickstarter titles who were already completely funded. Most of them are also garbage.

If you think publishers get 100% of revenue after launch, you are even more lost than I thought
"Valve invented controllers, multiplayer, cloud saving, and Linux" - a Steam fanboy

Voidgolem
1 month ago#99
d209999 posted...

If you think publishers get 100% of revenue after launch, you are even more lost than I thought

how much of that fortnite money was your dignity worth, I wonder?

probably not much, given your comprehensive lack of reading ability.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#100
d209999 posted...
Voidgolem posted...
d209999 posted...

*publishers

Publishers actually do get 100% of that theoretical 15%. They then distribute that money to wherever it needs to go.
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Former Valve Employee: Steam was Killing PC Gaming, Epic Games is Saving It
  • Topic Archived