This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Horror Stories

User Info: TrulyEpicLawls

TrulyEpicLawls
4 weeks ago#21
Mine's a proper horror story, you think it can't get worse then it does. The scandal, the outrage, the drama, it's all here. Strap yourself in.

This is about my first build, 'helpful' strangers driving to my home, and INTERNET DRAMA.

Building my first PC, I bought parts from the Bit-Tech marketplace forum. It's full of geeks who want to be on the bleeding edge, so there's top quality parts in great condition / barely used for quite cheap. Less hostile than this forum for sure.

I built the PC... and it didn't start.

Sweat, tears and frustration of troubleshooting did nothing. To top it off, my old PC wasn't starting now either after I'd put its cables back in. I had no PCs and resorted to my gf's slow laptop to ask for help.

It became a HUGE SAGA and public event, everyone bundled in trying to be the one to solve it.

A guy actually drove all the way to where I lived to try and fix it. He got my old PC started, but was stumped on my new one. Though he did drop one of my sticks of RAM which, turns out, broke it. I brought it up at the best opportunity during later PM conversation in a nice way to give him the chance to, at worst, just apologise. Instead he never replied. So I bought new RAM eventually.

The saga developed in the help thread as the guy reported back that it was likely a motherboard defect. The seller saw this and he entered the thread and got super defensive, started looking up laws and crap and saying he'll never give a refund, turning the possé against him.

An IT guy for (nearby) Oxford University drove to my house next to take the motherboard. He discovered that one of the capacitors or something was missing. The seller had taken pics before posting, so could prove it was my error when screwing it in and my hand slipping or something.

Now, this is the internet, so you probably imagine I denied everything, put up my defensive walls and hurled abuse. The s*** STORM THAT HAPPENED when I actually replied "ah I see, that was my mistake then, no worries". It was like some alternate dimension. Everyone was replying to me saying I was being aggressive etc. Like they were so sure I was going to reply like anyone else wrong on the internet does that they hallucinated that reply superimposed over what I actually wrote. All I could reply was "what the f*** is actually going on?" but that was seen as more 'aggression'.

A mod then closed it and wrote an essay on how I needed to improve my attitude and just accept if I make a mistake! It's what I literally did!

Meanwhile, the OU guy was kind enough to give me Windows 8 on a 64GB USB and (to be fair, probably in part to his own laziness) let me keep it. Also during this drama he was telling me to ignore the guys going crazy because they're all drama seekers. So he was one of the normal people, right?

But once I got a new motherboard and finally my PC was ALIIIIVE, after a few days I was getting messages to activate it in 2 weeks or it's gone. It turns out he gave me one of those business versions, so I couldn't use the serial key or something. I PMed him asking about it and what to do, if he had a key or if I had to buy a new one, and he just said something like "I don't have time for this" and that was it... ooookay... thankfully I got an OS in time elsewhere.

So, end result:

- New motherboard

- New RAM after someone broke it then disappeared

- New OS 'after someone gave me a duff one then disappeared

- Inciting a wave of rage for my antagonistic attitude of politely accepting I'd made a mistake, when I should in fact be politely accepting when I make a mistake

- Got a 64GB USB out of it though!

This post's character limit has 0 characters remaining.
Argument winners: strawman, calm down, troll/hater, (you) clearly, LOL, don't care, I'm done, actually this is funny, not wasting my time, butthurt, keep trying

User Info: Superlinkbro

Superlinkbro
3 weeks ago#22
When I was like 7 or 8 I was new to emulation and was trying to get a few NES games I use to play and completely f***ed up the family computer. I did very little research and it just got full of adware and nasty stuff. My dad had to buy a new PC.
PSN: Super_Link_Bro/Switch FC: SW-0496-6694-1794
Please let me know if you want to friend me beforehand.

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
3 weeks ago#23
I got a bad virus that caused me to lose all my files in the late 90's, on my first computer. After that, I stopped visiting warez sites. Also invested in a CD burner.
... even on Earth Mode.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
3 weeks ago#24
I haven't had too many issues. My original SSD was s*** and died within months of first building my pc. I also apparently didn't seat my cpu fan properly. It worked but thankfully I had a temp alarm on my motherboard set, so when it started failing I knew about it immediately.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
3 weeks ago#25
My first built PC was almost entirely a horror story.

Nearly every part had a problem.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
3 weeks ago#26
I bought a game ready system from ibuypower. Never do that. They didn't even boot it up to see if things were running otherwise they never would have let me pick up that system. I even emailed Steve from Gamers Nexus about it because they did a video (along with Linus Tech Tips) about purchasing from SIs (apparently they were supposed to have fixed those issues since the videos... they didn't). Didn't expect a response yet I got one within five minutes. He set me up with their contact at ibuypower who helped me RMA the system quickly to get it fixed. In the end, I still ended up returning the whole damned thing and building my own. The whole ordeal wasted about three weeks and my refund just came back to my card last week (17 days to get my refund after I returned the system).

After I put together my system (specs in my sig), I tried to get Windows to install on my NVMe drive. For some reason, the installer on the USB drive refuses to see my drive (the 970 Evo). After a day of learning almost everything I care to learn about NVMe, RAID, UEFI, MBR, and GPT, I just give up and install Windows on my 860 Evo and use the 970 Evo for games. I was gonna have the 970 Evo for games and booting while keeping the 860 Evo for media and non open world games, but at this point, I'm fine with Windows booting up in 8 seconds rather than 5 seconds. The amount of stress I gave myself over that was a pointless horror story on its own.
i9-9900k | Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Dell AW3418DW 3440x1440 120hz | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
3 weeks ago#27
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
My first built PC was almost entirely a horror story.

Nearly every part had a problem.

I'll elaborate.

The Motherboard had an issue with the PS/2 slot. I had just bought a keyboard at the time using that slot, it would randomly beep and stick keys, this was super annoying until I upgraded to a USB keyboard. Oh and then that USB keyboard was terrible as well, several the keys died after just a few months of use, keys that were rarely used.

The RAM had a specific timing, it would not work when set to that timing. I had paid good money for that RAM and never used it at it's correct settings.

The GPU began to artifact after about a year and only continued to slow down and degrade further.

Both of the Hard drives died. The 15000 RPM one had issues first but lasted longer because the WD Black died randomly.

Then there was a month period when it would not turn on. I took it all apart and reassembled it to no avail. One day it just started working again.

There were other issues and I think even I had a problem with the case, but yeah that computer was just a mess.

User Info: sonic_c_tail

sonic_c_tail
3 weeks ago#28
Superlinkbro posted...
When I was like 7 or 8 I was new to emulation and was trying to get a few NES games I use to play and completely f***ed up the family computer. I did very little research and it just got full of adware and nasty stuff. My dad had to buy a new PC.

I had a similar problem once. I went into a website for snes games. And it opened a pop up which had a checkbox so i went and X out of it to dl. Well apparently the pop up was used to sideload ad-ware and pop ups happened all the time. Got an anti ad-ware program and it deleted over 200 of these things. Recently the apparent owner of the site was complaining on reddit that despite being up for nearly 20 years the site gets little to no traffic despite nintendo knocking out the most popular sites.
DarkZV2Beta -No, because PS2 was garbage, and is the primary cause of the collapse of the Japanese game market in the mid 2000s. https://i.imgur.com/FMxcdHw.jpg

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#29
sonic_c_tail posted...
Superlinkbro posted...

I had a similar problem once. I went into a website for snes games. And it opened a pop up which had a checkbox so i went and X out of it to dl. Well apparently the pop up was used to sideload ad-ware and pop ups happened all the time. Got an anti ad-ware program and it deleted over 200 of these things. Recently the apparent owner of the site was complaining on reddit that despite being up for nearly 20 years the site gets little to no traffic despite nintendo knocking out the most popular sites.

The funny thing about your sig is that he himself has ridiculous quotes in his sig from even worse trolls
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: Naysaspace

Naysaspace
3 weeks ago#30
nothing, because I do it right

i do remember when a power supply blew in our old 486 though. hooo boy what a smell.
NHLB Saturday Picks: https://goo.gl/1MeMQg
Playoff Spreadsheet TEST: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmIZ0syZBSXdgUT9or1hrZdZ0EF4
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Horror Stories
  • Topic Archived