This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pre-Built Nowadays vs Building Yourself

User Info: acangial

acangial
4 weeks ago#1
Haven't built a rig on over 3 years. I am doing a make/buy analysis and it seems lately that a prebuilt is almost the same price as building it yourself, depending on the company. The only money I might save is on Win 10 since I am assuming I can transfer over my license. My questions are:

What is best company to get a pre-built?
Will I need to switch out the power supply, which is the only thing these companies seem to be non-transparent about?
ASUS_Z97-A; i7_4790K; G.SKILL_RJs_16GB; ASUS_STRIX GTX970; BenQ_27-1440p; Corsair_750M_PSU; Fractal_Design_R4; 2 x 256GB_SSD; WD Caviar_Black_ 2TB

acangial
4 weeks ago#2
Bump
ASUS_Z97-A; i7_4790K; G.SKILL_RJs_16GB; ASUS_STRIX GTX970; BenQ_27-1440p; Corsair_750M_PSU; Fractal_Design_R4; 2 x 256GB_SSD; WD Caviar_Black_ 2TB

User Info: AfterFortune

AfterFortune
4 weeks ago#3
I'd say now that GPU, ram, and SSD prices have plummeted, it is worth it to build it yourself again. Last year pre-builts were a lot cheaper...
steam is malware

acangial
4 weeks ago#4
AfterFortune posted...
I'd say now that GPU, ram, and SSD prices have plummeted, it is worth it to build it yourself again. Last year pre-builts were a lot cheaper...

While I see SSDs and RAM price drops, I am not seeing GPUs drop. Can you share a place to purchase low priced GPUs? I am looking at New Egg, Amazon and Microcenter. MC is definitely the place to get combo deals, but those usually don't include GPUs. Thanks.

User Info: AfterFortune

AfterFortune
4 weeks ago#5
I'm canadian so I'm not an expert on US deals and prices, but hang out on https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ and slickdeals or whatever for a few days until a good deal pops up.

Right now there is a PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 580 8GB - $169.99 which comes with two pack in games. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, but again I only know canadian prices.

Vega 56s have been going for cheap lately also if you are looking for something more premium
steam is malware

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#6
There are reasons why building yourself is better even if the price is identical, or even if prebuilt is slightly cheaper, in my opinion. Knowledge of everything that's inside your rig is invaluable when troubleshooting, and prebuilts may not have premium quality parts that can affect your system drastically (PSU is the obvious example). There's a bit of an intangible aspect that should be factored in the price comparison too.
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
4 weeks ago#7
I did the same thing just a few weeks ago when I got my tax refund. I kept thinking to myself: why should I go through the hassle of building myself when a company can do it for me at nearly the same price? Well, after doing some thorough research (maybe 20+ hours because I ended up spending $4000 including the monitor), and wasting a lot of time returning a system with ibuypower, I decided that it's MUCH better to build yourself.

With my ibuypower system, I got their most expensive "game ready" system which was the Element 203 (currently the Element 205) system. It's pretty nice, comes in a custom NZXT H500 case and is an i9-9900k with an RTX 2080 Ti from Gigabyte, but the problems that came with it... Here goes:

1. XMP wasn't enabled on BIOS which means the DDR4-3200 memory I paid for was running at 2666 Mhz instead of 3200 Mhz.
2. They gave me a 650W power supply instead of the listed 750W PSU which led to all kinds of problems, including the system shutting down when playing games after 10 minutes (it was not overheating, it was a PSU issue that ibuypower admitted to me later on)
3. One of my case fans was faulty and making really loud scraping sounds whenever it kicked in (when the system was under load, though it didn't last long because of the shut down problem).
4. The motherboard that comes with the very expensive i9-9900k CPU is the MSI Z390 MAG Tomahawk which doesn't have adequate VRMs to support the boost clocking of all 8 cores. So what you wind up with is a very expensive i9-9900k that performs about as well as the i7-9700k because of VRM throttling.

Also, they sent me a replacement video card when they misdiagnosed my shut down issue the first time, and it was a blower style Gigabyte card that overpowered my speakers. Basically, ibuypower was a complete f***ing mess and I'm still waiting for my refund from them (I returned my system on 3/5 and they only scanned it in on 3/13 when I called them again last week).

If you are gonna spend good money on a new system, don't trust an SI. There are millions of videos on youtube on how to build a system. Check out Paul's Hardware of Gamers Nexus or even Linus Tech Tips. There are many more but these are just a few that I used to create my system (specs in my sig). Pre-built is a waste of time and money. Also, you can shop around for your parts. Most of my stuff I got from B&H which didn't charge me sales tax. I spent $3000 on my system which means I saved around $300 in sales tax (I live in California). Use pcpartpicker.com to track your parts and prices, and buy when they go on sale. B&H had daily sales and I got the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra for $1349 (usually around $1499) and again, no tax!

Anyway, I hope this helps. Just don't give your money to those SIs. Do it yourself and know what you are putting into your system.
i9-9900k | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

User Info: N1Prinny

N1Prinny
4 weeks ago#8
Prebuilts are almost always more expensive if you care about saving money wait for sales and keep an eye on the r/buildapcsales.

acangial
4 weeks ago#9
Alright, guys, thanks. I will prolly build my own rig again.

User Info: VanderZoo

VanderZoo
4 weeks ago#10
I don't really care for building my own rig, in fact I hate it. But I have an enthusiast friend who loves that stuff (you go into his room and he's got three pc chasis sitting around, half open, still being worked on and so forth).

So I just buy the parts and he makes it for me. Good arrangement.
We are Gamefaqs, opinions are prohibited.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pre-Built Nowadays vs Building Yourself
  • Topic Archived