This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good you for a decade plus old HP Pavilion Slimline?

User Info: wufiei

wufiei
4 weeks ago#1
It's a slimline s3700f slimline. Has 3 gb ram (max 4). I probably will buy a better Desktop when I get a better paying job but it'll do for now. It does have a pcie express x 16 spot (I think that's what it was).

It has 2.6 ghtz. It uses a Nividia 6150 se integrated graphics card. It has Windows 7 32 bit (p.s. Is it worth it to get win7 64 bit on it leaning towards no).

Thanks in advance.
What is that strange appendage growing out the top of your head? ~ Hiei

User Info: Frisco557

Frisco557
4 weeks ago#2
Athlon 64 x2? Probably not worth upgrading the system with that cpu. Even in 2008 that wasn't a great cpu. I would personally recommend just getting a used console if you want to game on the cheap.

This GT640 seems to be one of the best low profile GPUs under $50, probably about the limit of what I'd invest in it.
http://tinyurl.com/yxg7zbys
Proud owner of an '88 Peugeot.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/frisco557/103_0809.jpg

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#3
Retro emulation box. Make it boot into a frontend and install it in an arcade cabinet.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|8GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

wufiei
4 weeks ago#4
So I ended up ordering an Ati Radeon hd 7570 with 1 gb of video ram. I think it's gddr 5. 128 bit. It has a Display port (which I'll probably end up getting a DP TO HDMI plug for) as well as a DVI port (which I already have a plug for).

I do have a question though, can I just plug the cable into the vga port that came with the computer or will it have to be plugged into the graphics card?

I'm thinking it's the latter.

thx in advance.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
4 weeks ago#5
Door stop.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#6
wufiei posted...
So I ended up ordering an Ati Radeon hd 7570 with 1 gb of video ram. I think it's gddr 5. 128 bit. It has a Display port (which I'll probably end up getting a DP TO HDMI plug for) as well as a DVI port (which I already have a plug for).

I do have a question though, can I just plug the cable into the vga port that came with the computer or will it have to be plugged into the graphics card?

thx in advance.

You HAVE to plug your display into your graphics card in order to utilize it. Plugging into the motherboard will instead utilize your much weaker onboard gpu.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|8GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

wufiei
4 weeks ago#7
HeliosMagi posted...
wufiei posted...

thx in advance.

You HAVE to plug your display into your graphics card in order to utilize it. Plugging into the motherboard will instead utilize your much weaker onboard gpu.

Yeah ok. That's what I kinda figured. Thanks.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's a good you for a decade plus old HP Pavilion Slimline?
  • Topic Archived