This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. OpenXR 0.90 Releases today. One standard for VR to rule them all! (evil laugh)

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#1
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-openxr-0.90-provisional-specification-for-high-performance-access-ar-vr-platforms-and-devices

So basically, this is the standard that will help make developing for VR much easier. Instead of having to separately make games compatible with each headset, instead the developers will develop for OpenXR and OpenXR will then translate that into whatever form the headset needs. It's gonna be sorta like OpenGL for VR/AR (which is why it's XR, because it encompasses both).

Microsoft is all over this standard like a hungry supermodel on a ham sandwich as noted from their line:
"Microsoft believes that for mixed reality to thrive, it must be open for everyone: open stores, open browsers and open developer platforms. We were proud to demo our OpenXR runtime at SIGGRAPH last year, and we're dedicated to supporting the launch of OpenXR this year on Windows Mixed Reality and HoloLens 2," said Alex Kipman, technical fellow at Microsoft. "To help developers provide feedback on the provisional OpenXR spec, we're releasing today a developer preview of our OpenXR runtime with support for Windows Mixed Reality headsets."

So I guess if you want to see what it's all about and you have that kind of access, Microsoft is gonna be the first to give you a taste.

Unity and Unreal are gonna work to bake this s*** into their engines so that any game using it will have access to it easily, but I'm sure it won't be easily backwards compatible so you would have to upgrade the game to the newest engine (which is probably a huge hassle if it's even possible).

BUT it's still pretty exciting news for VR since as it is now, games will mostly accept that you're on one headset or another, but if it doesn't recognize it, it makes a guess. On the pimax lots of times that guess is a Vive and that's fine since I'm using vive controllers and base stations, but I've had at least one game either not know how to address the controllers at all (X-Plane 11 and Crystal Rift) and one game assumed I must be on a windows MR headset since it doesn't see HTC Vive or Rift on the other end (The Invisible Hours).

TL;DR The open standard for VR/AR is released for the first time and hopefully games will make use of it to be better compatible between headsets rather than aimed at one headset and ignoring all others.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. OpenXR 0.90 Releases today. One standard for VR to rule them all! (evil laugh)
  • Topic Archived