This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best way to scale up an image for a desktop backround?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#1
I have some wallpapers that I could only find in sub-1080p resolutions. What are the best ways to resize them to 1920x1080 while losing as little sharpness and creating as few artifacts as possible? And what's the best free program or website for doing it?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out. He ate glue."
i5-8400|8GB DDR4-2666|GTX 1060 6GB|250GB SSD|1TB HDD|Corsair Spec-01

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
1 month ago#2
If it’s photo realistic, not sure. If it’s simple animation, google up a free vectorizing tool.

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
1 month ago#3
http://waifu2x.udp.jp

Ignore the weeb name this actually works pretty well.
i7 3820 | GTX 1070 | 16GB Samsung DDR3 | PCPC 600W

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#4
Just select the wallpaper and choose to make it fit your screen. Windows upscales it on it's own. Has been doing that since at least Windows 95, probably earlier.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: BombermanGold

BombermanGold
1 month ago#5
SinisterSlay posted...
Just select the wallpaper and choose to make it fit your screen. Windows upscales it on it's own. Has been doing that since at least Windows 95, probably earlier.

I think TC wants to make sure that said upscaled image doesn't get blurry.
"I will be your superhero!!!"
STEAM ID: BombermanGOLDEN

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#6
BombermanGold posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Then they need special machine learning tech or something from csi Miami.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
1 month ago#7
Snuckie7 posted...
http://waifu2x.udp.jp
Ignore the weeb name this actually works pretty well.

This for upscaling.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#8
enhance

enhance
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#9
BombermanGold posted...

That's not exactly possible. When you're upscaling, you're literally adding data that doesn't exist. Different systems do it differently, but none are fantastic at it. You can't actually add detail that isn't there. Windows scaling a smaller image up is sort of on the low to mid range in terms of quality, and will result in some blur. Photoshop is a bit more sophisticated, and can make better guesses at what each "missing" pixel should show, but at the end, it's still going to be blurrier than the original image, because all *any* system can do is guess to fill in the blanks.

There are other factors too, like the ratio of the source image's resolution to the upscaled one, the complexity of the image, etc...

The only images you can perfect upscale with no loss of quality at all are vector images.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
1 month ago#10
You could add a sharpen filter in the end ;-).
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best way to scale up an image for a desktop backround?
  • Topic Archived