This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. my laptop had a blue screen with the sad face.

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
1 month ago#21
i downloaded winthruster because my grandma sent me a link, i thought it would be alright to use since it said microsoft partner, i uninstalled it and used malwarebyte's. should i be safe from it? ugh that was real stupid.

how do you do a clean boot? i might just do it. i don't really have anything that i need to back up.
''Hey I ain't ugly! I'm just way below average!!!'' -Genocide Jill.
PSN: RJP_X

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
1 month ago#22
Download the media creation tool from the Microsoft website, install it on a USB, restart your laptop into the boot menu, format the HDD/SDD, then use the USB to install Windows. There are guides and videos online you can look up on your phone to watch while you're doing it. Takes anywhere from a half hour to an hour+ if you have a slow HDD.
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16GB Corsair 3200 | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe | Asus STRIX 2080 | EVGA G+ 850W
EVGA SC17 6820HK @ 3.7GHz

RJP_X
1 month ago#23
I think I'm done with computers. I get really stressed over them. The last thing I am doing is a system restore point to the last update. and I think when its done I will just shut it down and no longer use it.

I got a tablet for Christmas which I mostly use at night before bed to watch anime. I have been under high stress for a couple of days and honestly I am not super familiar with tablets either, but it seems much more accesible so far.

Only few things I don`t like is Chrome not having extensions, so there are ads everywhere, even with the settings for ad block. and my email and accounts are all on Chrome so I am use to using it. Also for some reason Spotify doesn't work in the same way on tablet browser as it does computer one. so you have to download the app and deal with the ads.

Otherwise a tablet mostly serves my needs, it has an attachable keyboard and am able to do what I need with some annoyances mentioned.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#24
If you have a system restore to before you installed that malware, that should be fine.n
Don't trust links to random "microsoft partner" software from your grandma or your uncle or anyone. What happens is, someone opens a similar link from someone they know, and it makes their computer send out links to everyone they know.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

RJP_X
1 month ago#25
DarkZV2Beta posted...
If you have a system restore to before you installed that malware, that should be fine.n
Don't trust links to random "microsoft partner" software from your grandma or your uncle or anyone. What happens is, someone opens a similar link from someone they know, and it makes their computer send out links to everyone they know.

yeah the link had a ton of good info. on the particular BSOD but had downloads that said they could help with the problem. i let it do a scan and it wanted me to buy it and their was a voice after the scan was done about it. i uninstalled it and ran malwarebytes and 54 PUPs showed up from it.

do you think system restore can also solve the current issue? or do you think it will run into it again since it will need to go through the latest windows updates eventually? it was only after the update where i had these issues and whenever i have it in sleep mode.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#26
Since I still don't actually know what the issue is(driver irql means that either a driver is broken, or the hardware is unstable) I have no idea.
I would suggest restoring to before the problem came up and seeing if it doesn't come back. If it does, you can always install Ubuntu, or some other such thing, and escape Windows updates entirely.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: -______-

-______-
1 month ago#27
have a windows 8.1 machine and the last update caused constant BSOD (every 5-10 minutes) with that driver_irql_not_less_or_equal message.

rolled back and haven't got a BSOD since
-______-

RJP_X
1 month ago#28
-______- posted...
have a windows 8.1 machine and the last update caused constant BSOD (every 5-10 minutes) with that driver_irql_not_less_or_equal message.

rolled back and haven't got a BSOD since

@-______-

what do you mean rolled back? like system restore point? and yeah i honestly think that update f***ed everything up. thats the error i get. i mean after that update i put it in sleep mode that night and woke up later to the blue screen when i woke it from sleep mode. and does it every time after its been in rest mode for a certain length.

i just got done with system restore back to the last february update. i put it in sleep mode after going to check it tomorrow maybe i definitely need some breather from it for now, did so much with it the last couple of days. so just going to use tablet for now and when i check it if it acts up again think i'm done. hopefully a newer update comes a long, or maybe my computer is too old for the newer updates i dont know anymore.

User Info: -______-

-______-
1 month ago#29
https://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/

follow that guide to roll back an update
-______-

RJP_X
1 month ago#30
so i am pretty sure it had something to do with the updates i havent really used the computer much but i have been leaving the computer in rest mode and popping it open now and then and there have been no blue screens after system restore.

looking through the update logs there was one that failed, adobe. but then it said it on the 16th it was successful.

does anyone think this is a matter of maybe having to update everything individually? when these 4 important updates updated together it did take a really long time where it might have been a possible failure. i have it in the settings to choose what to update but not sure if i would just be alright not updating from here on.

i am not sure what the next step should be but i have been avoiding the computer for now due to the frustration.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. my laptop had a blue screen with the sad face.
  • Topic Archived