This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steams new review bomb policy

User Info: anubisbahamut

anubisbahamut
6 days ago#1
https://store.steampowered.com/news/?headlines=1

They do this for negative reviews but not the positive ones? There are plenty who buy games and rate positive before even playing them where is the parity in this.

Also is this not censorship in a sense?
PSN=EbahamutE YT=AnubisBahamut PC=7700k\1080ti
I love fighting games
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
6 days ago#2
anubisbahamut posted...

It's creative statistics. Welcome to Business 101.

That said, the article states that they're only doing this for off-topic review bombing, i.e. review bombing that has nothing to do with the game, i.e. something the dev said on Twitter or something pointless like that.

Personally, I think review bombing is an effective way to light a fire under some devs' butts so I have no problem with it. Off-topic review bombing just undermines the point of reviews, however, so as long as Steam doesn't end up causing a scandal with it (*cough*), I don't see a problem with this.
Beat Saber [VIVE] - Huge Update & Monstercat DLC Pack! (Part 1)
https://youtu.be/OUEIQZoHPqQ
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: sonic_c_tail

sonic_c_tail
6 days ago#3
Scumbag steam at it again. Sounds like something square enix and redshell would lobby steam to do. I've seen lately that steam was using graphs on games that got review bombed by different reasons. Most common being denuvo or some patch completely f***ing something up. So the graph would show up to try to "promote" that the negative reviews landed in a small amount of time. AKA the game got bombed, probably in an attempt to discredit it as "some salty peeps".

Of course steam being the scumbag that they are defined eula and DRM as not part of the game despite actually being an essential highly interconnected with the backward logic that people don't care about them. Well if people didn't care about this then wouldn't review bomb wouldn't they? And you wouldn't be getting lobbied to censor those reviews.

Not only that but steam will just remove from the score all reviews in the "omg they are getting bombed period" via an automated system so expect s***ty asset flips with good scores.

TL;DR : Scores mean s*** on steam, look for negative reviews to see what's up. Because honestly if you wanted to look for the positives you can just go look at any video online since it'll always showcase the good stuff.
DarkZV2Beta -No, because PS2 was garbage, and is the primary cause of the collapse of the Japanese game market in the mid 2000s. https://i.imgur.com/FMxcdHw.jpg
Absolutely disgusting. I'll give the Epic Store this though: Steam is really feeling the heat. People have wanted Steam to have actual competition for years, and it seems they finally have it. Unfortunately, Epic decided to compete for the affection of publishers rather than the attention of customers.

User Info: anubisbahamut

anubisbahamut
6 days ago#5
SilentCaay posted...
anubisbahamut posted...

It's creative statistics. Welcome to Business 101.

That said, the article states that they're only doing this for off-topic review bombing, i.e. review bombing that has nothing to do with the game, i.e. something the dev said on Twitter or something pointless like that.

Personally, I think review bombing is an effective way to light a fire under some devs' butts so I have no problem with it. Off-topic review bombing just undermines the point of reviews, however, so as long as Steam doesn't end up causing a scandal with it (*cough*), I don't see a problem with this.

In the QnA didn’t they say if you happen to post a legit review during that time even yours would get taken down? Because they would just do a large culling.
PSN=EbahamutE YT=AnubisBahamut PC=7700k\1080ti
I love fighting games
SilentCaay posted...

Actually they specifically define very relevant stuff, like changes to the EULA or the addition of DRM, as being off-topic reviews. They do nothing so comforting as assuring us that it will only be used in cases where the negative reviews are coming in for things that don't touch the game at all.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
6 days ago#7
anubisbahamut posted...
In the QnA didn’t they say if you happen to post a legit review during that time even yours would get taken down? Because they would just do a large culling.

Nothing gets taken down, just removed from the game's positive/negative percentage contribution.

You also can even just adjust store preference settings to include "off-topic" activity in the review score again.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: arleas

arleas
6 days ago#8
Just do sarcastic positive reviews... e.g. "I just LOVE it when developers release half-finished games that are chock-full of game breaking bugs and then don't patch them EVER and instead decide to release DLC that does nothing to help the situation! This is so freekin' awesome man! 11/10 would punish myself again!"

On the other hand, Developers are really p****** when it comes to taking criticism too. I left a bad review for a game because it had serious issues and I thought it wasn't that great and immediately got attacked by the dev and 3 of his friends (when I opened it for comments anyway). I was gonna stick with it and wait for it to improve and my review just said "not worth buying at this time but it has potential" but after all the harassment I just refunded and washed my hands of the whole thing.

A game review should be able to warn people of problems, but it's stupid to go review a completely different game poorly because you have a problem with something else they released. That's definitely the kind of review that should be removed/hidden.

If the issue you're mad about has nothing to do with the game I'm buying, then f*** off. Stuff like DRM and EULA/TOS type stuff could have a lot to do with the game or nothing at all, but I guess Valve would prefer if you just stuck to complaining about the game itself.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
6 days ago#9
grand_commander posted...
SilentCaay posted...

Actually they specifically define very relevant stuff, like changes to the EULA or the addition of DRM, as being off-topic reviews. They do nothing so comforting as assuring us that it will only be used in cases where the negative reviews are coming in for things that don't touch the game at all.

SilentCaay posted...
so as long as Steam doesn't end up causing a scandal with it (*cough*), I don't see a problem with this.
Beat Saber [VIVE] - Huge Update & Monstercat DLC Pack! (Part 1)
https://youtu.be/OUEIQZoHPqQ

User Info: kbe2k2

kbe2k2
6 days ago#10
Something not addressed is certain developers over bearing forum moderation, sometimes taking it to the reviews is the only option when every bit of criticism or valid concerns are being buried.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steams new review bomb policy