This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I was deadset on an IPS monitor, but..

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#21
I recently bought an IPS monitor and I regret it. It's not that it's bad, but it's not worth $100 more than a TN panel.

I'm returning it and saving $100.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: VanderZoo

VanderZoo
1 month ago#22
@zhenghan posted...
VanderZoo posted...
@Digivillain posted...
VanderZoo posted...
@Digivillain posted...
AW3418DW

Too expensive.

I love ultrawide though.

I see.

Yeah, I just got this thing and it blows my mind... Of course, this is my first legit monitor and it is like stepping into a whole new world, lol.

For sure, that's an amazing monitor.

@yars posted...
Dredj posted...
IPS is worthless with 8-bit TN panels around, I really don't know why anyone would spend the extra money to buy IPS these days.

because 8 bit tn still looks a lot worse

For reference, my current monitor is the Asus VK266H, and it's an 8-bit TN panel, and I always thought it looked washed out.

Do you guys think 32" is too big for a monitor? I've read that 27" is ideal, especially for 1440p being viewed at typical desk distances (eye strain).

But then there's the old 'bigger is better' philosophy, and again it's only $60aud more for an extra 5".

Having trouble deciding.

Where do you see it is 8bit? It is actually rare for a TN panel to be 8bit. If it is not 1440p the chances of it being 8bit is almost 0. There is no TN monitor that is 8bit with 1920x1200 resolution that i know of, since 8bit TN is a recent phenomenon.

Btw by 8 bit we mean 8 bit native not 6 bit + frc.

I just checked my monitor display settings and it simply said 8-bit (under 'Big depth').

But it makes sense that it's not, I can tell the colours aren't as vibrant as they could be. Like I said, it has always looked washed out to me.
We are Gamefaqs, opinions are prohibited.

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#23
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/b09d11/monitor_nixeus_nxedg27_27_1440p_144hz_ips/

Might want to check this out.

This is the monitor I'm actually returning. It's a good monitor for a good price on this sale. Like I said, I'm returning it because IPS isn't worth $100 over a TN panel to me, and actually 27" is too large for me. You'd probably like it, VanderZoo!
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: KrankyKat

KrankyKat
1 month ago#24
I don't know how much IPS tech has changed the past few years or so but the two I bought back then have better contrast with better color accuracy that "pops" more than non-IPS panels I or my hubby has/have had.

You have to calibrate them to suit you of course, I had to fiddle with the monitor's OSD settings a long time (Windows calibration features sucks imo) before I got it where I personally wanted (but I'm super picky about color tone and contrast).

Newer TN panels are definitely a lot better than some years ago however. A lot better. Some people just aren't as picky and/or depends on calibration options available/taken, etc.

I don't think viewing TN vs. IPS angle makes a huge difference these days, unless you're going to be watching Netflix while lying from a much lower position like on a bed or something.
Nvidia Ansel is fun - https://ffxv.crimsonkeep.com/blog/
Why are DisplayPort KVM's so expensive? Pfft.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I was deadset on an IPS monitor, but..
  • Topic Archived