This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Use RAM sticks with different speed ratings at same speed?

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
1 month ago#1
I have two sticks of ram that are ddr 3200. Could I buy two more sticks but at ddr 3000 and set all four sticks to 3000?

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#2
Yes

You'll always hear that you always should use identical RAM, but in almost all cases you can mix freely.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
1 month ago#3
It's easiest to get RAM timings the same if they're the same kits, so it's best practice, but you absolutely do not NEED ram to match, and since you're clocking 2 sticks DOWN from the factory suggested, it will be fine.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
1 month ago#4
Ideally used match sets. That said, everything will (should) run at the slower speed of the two pairs.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*

User Info: Nathanmg

Nathanmg
1 month ago#5
Rule of thumb is that RAM will happily run at the highest speed of the slowest stick. Matching sets can make a difference due to other things like the memory latency rating of the sticks and so on, but it wont matter too much.
PSN: Nathanmg
3DS: 1006-0862-7392

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
1 month ago#6
daemon_dan posted...
It's easiest to get RAM timings the same if they're the same kits, so it's best practice, but you absolutely do not NEED ram to match, and since you're clocking 2 sticks DOWN from the factory suggested, it will be fine.

The kit I bought in 2017 for $180 is now $305 on Newegg.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 is what I got.

32gb is already plenty of RAM for what I do for now but I was curious about the price of upgrading to 64gb of RAM. When I saw it was double I started to research alternatives.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
1 month ago#7
Unless you're doing some major productivity s***, I'd just not bother upgrading RAM. 32 GB is major multitasking overkill
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
1 month ago#8
i had mixed 32 gb, kept getting blue screens while gaming, switched to just 16 and they went away

User Info: x_stevey_x

x_stevey_x
1 month ago#9
i just try to get each set in dual channel to match .. so if your 2 current sticks match and are paired.. and your 2 new sticks match and are paired.. then run them at the slower speed.

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
1 month ago#10
I have mixed ram myself at 32gb. Two diffrent brands. It works fine for me but yea it will make all the ram capped to your slowest one. Not to big a deal though unless your churning through some massive res files.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Use RAM sticks with different speed ratings at same speed?
  • Topic Archived