This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC is the biggest market of the Gaming Industry and will always be

User Info: Kirikagure

Kirikagure
1 month ago#1
PC is and will always be the overwhelming majority of the gaming market, comparing PC with consoles is ridiculous as even standalone games like League of Legends have a bigger playerbase than the entire history of console gaming combined. Steam is by far the biggest and best gaming platform in the world and it offers everything from various features such as the community, forums, artworks, screenshots, guides, achievements, reviews, discounts, events and a lot more which expand even further than just gaming to other aspects.

PC is the reason that allows consoles to be made and exist. All of the major Esports events which have even taken over traditional sports are on PC. PC is used by every single person in the world while consoles are used by a cult of teenagers that failed at school and even this cult still spends most of the time on PC. Trying to defend consoles while using a PC to do it proves a thousand times more that it holds the source of gaming. PC is and will always be the main gaming network and through that everything else is made and consoles are temporary while PC is permanent, no matter how much time passes the library of PC games on Steam lasts forever. The PC versions of games are also a lot more controllable through various features such as modding and other programming activities.

A defining factor that makes PC the default option as mentioned is that the games purchased on Steam and the smaller PC platforms will stay in your library permantely, and they will always be playable regardless of how much time passes while console games like Playstation and Xbox become useless once the next console comes out, so they are basically a temporary waste of money while the PC versions are permanent. There are games being released on Steam from all timelines while on consoles they can't even last a few years before they become useless. The fact that console users must use an old irrelevant site like Gamefaqs to communicate because consoles have no community features says it all...

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#2
okay
"Only idiots play games at ultra settings" - Fade2black001, 2018

User Info: SirHeiska

SirHeiska
1 month ago#3
Weird... In 2018 PC market was smallest one.

Mobile games: 51% and 70.3 billion dollars
Console games: 25% and 34.6 billion dollars
PC games: 24% and 32.9 billion dollars.

Both PC and Console market has been going down since 2012 and is estimated that PC is only 19% and consoles 22% in year 2021.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
1 month ago#4
SirHeiska posted...

Both PC and Console market has been going down since 2012 and is estimated that PC is only 19% and consoles 22% in year 2021.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/

I'll never understand that mobile crap, the land of micro transactions and whales.
But hey, according to the masses Mc Donald's is best restaurant...
We're all living in Amerika, Amerika ist wunderbar -
We're all living in Amerika, Coca-Cola, sometimes war...

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
1 month ago#5
Djoser2000 posted...
I'll never understand that mobile crap, the land of micro transactions and whales.

Why is it so hard to understand?

Most mobile games are free, easy to understand and packed with content (mundane content, but that only makes a difference to us, non casuals).

Imagine this scene: you are a kid or a teen, you are bored at school. You take your phone out of your pocket and play Mighty Party for a few minutes (a FREE game). The game isn't even THAT bad, so you get used to it. Eventually, you start losing all PVP battles because your heroes are weaker. And it's when that happens that the game waves a chest at your face, a chest that MAY (or may not) contain a better hero.

You see the price of the chest: $4.99. You can't even get a good meal with that money, so you pull the plug. You get a strong-ish hero and win some PVP battles. You start having more fun. Eventually, another chest is on your face. You spend $9.99 this time. Get some extra heroes (most aren't even good, bt that doesn't matter).

Mobile gaming isn't for me, but I DO understand why it's so popular. Most mobile games are addicting as heck. Most of them are free and you can play for MANY hours without spending money, but if you DO spend money, the game may (or may not) be even better.

You and me aren't casuals, so stuff like that aren't interesting. But uinderstand that you and me are part of the minority. Most mobile gamers don't even know what a Snes is. Most of them don't know what a complete game is, and only knows of expensive console games that are PACKED with DLCs or mobile games that are free, even if they have micro transactions (then again, most new games on console and PC do to).

We are dinosaurs, my friend.
Guess what classic game this is and I'll give you... a virtual handshake:
https://i.imgtc.com/jRTOjD0.png

User Info: strat10

strat10
1 month ago#6
I have to admit. I been on mobile gacha games more than my PC games. I sold my GTX 1080 Ti to buy the Xiaomi Black Shark which I never put a sim card on because I'm just using the wifi.

https://i.imgtc.com/jM7l6mj.png

@XianMei I'm not joking with the hours spend on DBD.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
1 month ago#7
SirHeiska posted...

that came after being on top of consoles for a bunch of years.

the failure of the wii u and xbox one probably had a lot to do with that and bounced back after the switch came along.
http://abload.de/img/pcgamingxtuvt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: Crenlar

Crenlar
1 month ago#8
SirHeiska posted...

The percentage of the market has gone down but revenue is up. PC gaming is bigger than ever. Revenue was $11 billion in 2008 and $33 billion in 2018. Console revenue was up 15% last year.
fair and balanced

User Info: videogames1

videogames1
1 month ago#9
Crenlar posted...
SirHeiska posted...

The percentage of the market has gone down but revenue is up. PC gaming is bigger than ever. Revenue was $11 billion in 2008 and $33 billion in 2018. Console revenue was up 15% last year.

Mobile made the market a lot bigger. Sure consoles and PC games are still making more and more but everyone has a smart phone. People who otherwise wouldn't game now are. It's not like people are actually switching to mobile.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#10
Djoser2000 posted...
But hey, according to the masses Mc Donald's is best restaurant...

Most popular =/= best.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC is the biggest market of the Gaming Industry and will always be
  • Topic Archived