This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming

User Info: 10000bc

10000bc
4 weeks ago#1
I am new to PC gaming and I'm trying to find a cheap starter PC for just total war games and maybe RPGs/mmorpgs. I found this pre built in my price range but im not really knowledgable about PC gaming and I want to make sure I can play Rome 2, empire, and so on. This is what I was thinking about buying. Hp pavillion desktop, AMD ryzen 3 2200 G, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive with Windows 10 home. Let me know if you need more info, as I said I don't really know what I'm doing it would be appreciated, thank you.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#2
Tell us the budget.

You want more ram. 8gb is the minimum I would say is needed nowadays.
R7 1800X|570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Rud3Bwoy Caught Scamming-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#3
4GB RAM? That alone makes me not really trust that computer, because 4GB is incredibly low, even for a low-power Ryzen like that. Typically 8GB RAM is considered the minimum these days, and 16GB is more standard.

Also, I suspect that computer has no GPU and is running on integrated graphics. Combine integrated graphics with 4GB RAM and a low-powered CPU, and you aren't likely to be doing much of any gaming on that at all, honestly.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

10000bc
4 weeks ago#4
Well this build says altogether it's about 400. It also says the ram is upgradable up to 32 gb. If all I had to do was buy more space I'd be fine with that but the rest of the specs seems like a foreign language to me, I have no idea what some of it means

10000bc
4 weeks ago#5
AMD Radeon Vega 8 it says as the graphics coprocessor if that helps any. I'm just wanting something for total war games as I have a console for any other games

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#6
The Vega 8 is indeed an integrated laptop GPU. If you're looking for a laptop, $400 isn't going to get you a gaming-capable machine. You pay extra for the portability of a laptop, so you're getting VERY low-power components for $400. I'd suggest looking in the neighborhood of $600-800 absolute minimum if you want a laptop, and even then, you're not likely to get one designed for gaming. However, you should get one that can handle some basic gaming for that price.

If you're OK with a desktop, you'll end up with a bit more performance for your money. Still not sure you can find a $400 gaming-capable machine, but you'll get a lot closer.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#7
I'll be blunt...f*** no to this PC you're considering. That's what we're all thinking.

Like KT said, the ram isn't enough for your Igpu (let alone some games) and given that the vega 8 is an igpu, you're not getting very far gaming. Do not get this PC. For 400 dollars, you should be getting a PC with a discreet GPU. If you're wanting a laptop to play games on, I don't think this is happening for 400 dollars. Just being honest.

The Ryzen 5 CPU processors should do you just fine.
Anything like the 1050ti or RX 570 should also serve you well. I would go with the 570, but that's my opinion after owning both cards. These are graphics cards by the way.
8gb of ram of course, you don't want less then this.
Your power supply, should be at least 400 watts in my opinion and have an 80+ rating so there's a standard for efficiency.
R7 1800X|570 8gb 1500/8000|Freesync 7680x1080|16gb TridentZ|Focus+ Platinum 750|https://bit.ly/2UBHT5d| Rud3Bwoy Caught Scamming-https://i.imgtc.com/xBAjFf7.jpg

10000bc
4 weeks ago#8
Know any builds for around 600 on desktop then? I would actually prefer one over a laptop anyway

User Info: Dave_rawkzorz

Dave_rawkzorz
4 weeks ago#9
KillerTruffle posted...
The Vega 8 is indeed an integrated laptop GPU. If you're looking for a laptop, $400 isn't going to get you a gaming-capable machine. You pay extra for the portability of a laptop, so you're getting VERY low-power components for $400. I'd suggest looking in the neighborhood of $600-800 absolute minimum if you want a laptop, and even then, you're not likely to get one designed for gaming. However, you should get one that can handle some basic gaming for that price.

If you're OK with a desktop, you'll end up with a bit more performance for your money. Still not sure you can find a $400 gaming-capable machine, but you'll get a lot closer.

Vega 8 is the integrated graphics in the 2200G APU. Where did you get laptop from?
FD Meshify C | i7-9700K@5GHz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16GB Corsair 3200 | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe | Asus STRIX 2080 | EVGA G+ 850W
EVGA SC17 6820HK @ 3.7GHz

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#10
10000bc posted...
Know any builds for around 600 on desktop then? I would actually prefer one over a laptop anyway

Can't speak to quality of Lenovo desktops, but their laptops are pretty solid, so I found this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883998763

It's a Core i5 7400, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive,, and a GTX 1050 Ti with Windows 10. Currently on sale for $650.

It's not a fantastic gaming machine by any means, but it'll play the games you mentioned, and shouldn't give you much trouble assuming the build quality is solid.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming
  • Topic Archived